Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 1:43pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Careers related to fitness and martial arts

I'm currently working on finishing up an associates degree in science at a community college before I transfer to App. State next year. Martial arts and fitness are my life, so I want to find work related to that. Some undergrad degrees I'm considering are Exercise Science, Athletic Training, or possibly something in nutrition. In the mean time I'm always trying to expand my knowledge of fitness and martial arts outside of college.
    I wouldn't mind working with other athletes or in a hospital to start with, but I would ultimately like to work with fighters, maybe have a gym, or develop strength and conditioning routines. Anyhow the reason I posted this is because I'm looking for ideas and general advice. If any one works in this type of field, please share your experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 4:09pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump.....

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    while working with athletes would be nice, dont expect to go straight into that level. i work with various multisport athletes but the majority of my income as a full time trainer comes from normal people. athletes are fucking poor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 5:54pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agre with Alex. Though I specialize in working with athletes, the majority of my income is from the everyday person. If you want to get somewhere, get a degree in kinesiology or exercise physiology, then look at getting a Masters in Physical Therapy. It has a much greater income and better job opportunities. I have been working FT as a trainer for several years now and I am just getting ready to go out on my own and build my own gym. I would love it to be an athletes only facility, but I also want to be able to provide for my family. Keep an open mind when it comes to client base or you may end up regretting it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 8:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i remember a guy who came to our gym to do some work exp asking if he could skip a client who was an elderly lady, cos he didnt want to work with the elderly. that dude works at subway now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 9:35pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I know the type. They have crazy dilusions of grandeur and think they are God's gift to the fitness industry. 99.99% don't make it. I think they get off-track from hearing stories of the big names in the industry.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Yeah, I know the type. They have crazy dilusions of grandeur and think they are God's gift to the fitness industry. 99.99% don't make it. I think they get off-track from hearing stories of the big names in the industry.
    There is also a huge problem, IMO, of the standards of being a personal trainer being too lax. The industry is shooting itself in the foot because it would much rather reap the financial benefit of selling certifications to the masses rather having quality instructors.

For myself, I got my certification right before Bear Sterns collapsed. To say it was a terrible time to try to be my own boss as a personal trainer is an understatement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 5:35pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be a proffesional asskicker!!!!!

all jokes aside start small just fitness and do some martial arts on the side,
    that and or try to specialize in becoming a dietist there will always be people to pay for losing fat!

Good luck

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 7:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    There is also a huge problem, IMO, of the standards of being a personal trainer being too lax. The industry is shooting itself in the foot because it would much rather reap the financial benefit of selling certifications to the masses rather having quality instructors.

For myself, I got my certification right before Bear Sterns collapsed. To say it was a terrible time to try to be my own boss as a personal trainer is an understatement.
    I started my business literally the week that the recession started. good thing im a fuckin baller.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 7:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post

I agree with this sentiment. I worked for 7 years as a personal trainer, and didn't have a college degree, only certifications. The quality and cost of these, as well as the rigor is unregulated and varies widely. Some are very good, but others you can literally do over a weekend, entirely on the internet.

If you're going to consider being a personal trainer, don't bother studying it in college. Every gym I worked at paid primarily on commission, so your pay was almost entirely sales based. I've had plenty of colleagues who had Masters' degrees in Exercise Science, and I made as much money or more money than they did, without having a degree of my own at all. They had $50,000+ in student loans, I paid $500 for a certification. Our careers were identical.

Athletic Training is a different matter. There is a potential real career there. However, as was said above, don't expect to go directly into it. The number of people who study Athletic Training is high, and the number of high-caliber jobs in the field is low. Expect to spend years as an "intern", more years working beneath a high-school coach. Then maybe, MAYBE, you'll work your way onto a small college team. Sure, you might make it to the level of professional athletes, but the percentage of those who do are extremely small. Additionally, it has very little to do with how good you are. Of course, your skill matters, but it's really more about who you know, if you're lucky enough to have ingratiated yourself to a high-level college coach, and in general, a lot of politics.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast