Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 7:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That said, personal training can potentially earn you a decent living. But it's all about sales and kissing ass. If you're good at that, and can generally earn a good commission, go for it. But again, I wouldn't waste your time or money on studying it in college if that's your ultimate career goal. Get a basic certification, and work as a trainer while you're going through college to study something else.

At least, that's my advice, having worked years in the field.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how do you guys do it in the dirty US? sounds tougher. over here i just run it as a business, i have a main gym that i pay a weekly rent to for its use, but i do a lot of home training etc as well. did you have to pay a % to the gym when you worked as a PT? that seems kinda crazy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:24pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    how do you guys do it in the dirty US? sounds tougher. over here i just run it as a business, i have a main gym that i pay a weekly rent to for its use, but i do a lot of home training etc as well. did you have to pay a % to the gym when you worked as a PT? that seems kinda crazy.

The gym I work for takes 25% of my take for use of the facilities. It gives me the advantage of having a better exposure to the "everyday" people that are coming and going that do not currently work with a trainer. The in-home works great, but the insurance cost is way to high to make it worth while. Plus the gym I work for has group classes that are also a great exposure to potential new clients.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have went straight for my CSCS and then got a job at a University. It would have saved me from finding someone I trust to take over my client base, so I can take a University job.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ho-leeee **** 25%? thats fucking nuts. if i paid 25% of what i make i would be paying something like 3-4 times what i currently pay in rent.

also, you cant sue people in this country for injuries, so i dont need insurance to train people at home. hmm, another reason for me not to move to amuricuh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:38pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    There is also a huge problem, IMO, of the standards of being a personal trainer being too lax. The industry is shooting itself in the foot because it would much rather reap the financial benefit of selling certifications to the masses rather having quality instructors.

This has to be the best statement about training ever. I have several other trainers I work with and 75% of them are TERRIBLE at best. I wish that there was a better standard and it was able to be enforced.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12