Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:47am

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I have noticed that a lot of these styles start with really high head position that I think it is posture related to hand trapping.

I assume it is less tiring to do it with a nice straight back and upright head. Once contact is added the only way to go is back
    i tried to remember to keep my chin down, i probably didn't always do it, and you're right, we're not doing that when we're doing hand trapping drills. i do want to clean that up for myself

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is why I wouldnt bother to re invent what you do. But keeping your chin tucked will really help you not get hurt in these tournaments

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:52am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you considered Sanda/Sanshou?

That's basically what you're trying to do.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:58am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I hate the Man-Up Stand Up rules set, your clinch striking didn't look that bad. Framed out with your hands to make space then threw short punches as the guy tried to come back in.

Since almost no pure striking gyms work the nuances of clinch striking in NY it's something good to know. I wish that you would have thrown some knees and that the rules would have let you stay clinched longer so we could have seen how good you really were with it.

I could critique your outside striking but the fact that you showed some genuine and applicable skills in something Chun claims to be good at makes you the best Chunner I've ever seen fight. Plus, it's a little silly to focus on the negative in someone's first competition. Everyone makes a lot of mistakes their first time out that they probably don't make in practice.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin and knockdown karate guys don't lean their heads back and they don't train with gloves. I know part of it is unfamiliarity with getting hit but I also wonder if their isn't something inherently wrong with the posture that makes it so prevalent. Literally no other striking style (done well) does this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:04am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Kyokushin and knockdown karate guys don't lean their heads back and they don't train with gloves. I know part of it is unfamiliarity with getting hit but I also wonder if their isn't something inherently wrong with the posture that makes it so prevalent. Literally no other striking style (done well) does this.
    Are you not rounding on a logical conclusion here?

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Are you not rounding on a logical conclusion here?
    What now? I'm perfectly serious. Leaning back while you're fighting is not a great idea in any situation. Yet almost every time I see accomplished KF guys fight they are leaning back once the fight starts. I am claiming that it may be more than unfamiliarity with getting hit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:21am

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    As much as I hate the Man-Up Stand Up rules set, your clinch striking didn't look that bad. Framed out with your hands to make space then threw short punches as the guy tried to come back in.

Since almost no pure striking gyms work the nuances of clinch striking in NY it's something good to know. I wish that you would have thrown some knees and that the rules would have let you stay clinched longer so we could have seen how good you really were with it.

I could critique your outside striking but the fact that you showed some genuine and applicable skills in something Chun claims to be good at makes you the best Chunner I've ever seen fight. Plus, it's a little silly to focus on the negative in someone's first competition. Everyone makes a lot of mistakes their first time out that they probably don't make in practice.
    that's probably the best compliment i could get here lol, and i really do appreciate it. i know this is the lion's den for me but i want to be open to criticism. i'm a student for life. thanks for the compliment

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:40am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    What now? I'm perfectly serious. Leaning back while you're fighting is not a great idea in any situation. Yet almost every time I see accomplished KF guys fight they are leaning back once the fight starts. I am claiming that it may be more than unfamiliarity with getting hit.
    Yes I know, and that leads to the logical conclusion of...... "cough, ahem ineffective bullshit , cough cough"

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me be more direct. DV7, do you think leaning back is a good idea? If not do you think something besides lack of sparring experience may be leading to this propensity?
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast