Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 6:58am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice on supplemental gym training needed

Hello everyone, I train in boxing 3 times a week and I have the time and energy for 2 more training sessions in the gym, now because twice a week obviously isnít enough to build the perfect body, I compromise and at least want to better my fitness and strength for the boxing classes. The sessions in the gym will be on Monday and Saturday. Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday are boxing days.
    I was advised here to stop lifting after the boxing class in my boxing gym (we have a hardcore gym there, not my other fancy gym) because it is futile to strengthen oneself after an hour and a half of boxing while you have zero glycogen in your muscles. That way I have more energy the next day in my regular gym and I stopped getting injuries.
    My goal I guess is to become muscular but athletic enough for the boxing classes. And I wouldnít lose shelling off a few kilo of fatÖ and of Corse strong in a functional way that will improve my boxing.
    One of the things I started doing with good results for now is the Randy Coutureís grappling circuit which is a slice of hell brought to your gym. It is designed for wrestlers/grapplers but im pretty sure itís just as good for strikers. It showed me how weak my legs where, and I feel sore after every time for 2 days, it mainly works on your legs back and shoulders, and allows me to cover a lot of muscles in a short period, I will usually complete this with 3 sets of pull ups and dips, and maybe some pec exercises .
    If anyone here wishes to help, it will be appreciated a lot! I need 2 gym workouts that will complete my 3 boxing classes.
    Thanx a lot Erez.
    p.s this is a link to Rand's drill
    Last edited by erezb; 9/20/2011 7:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:22am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried the Randy Couture workout for a few weeks when I was doing crossfit. It's a real killer, I definitely got stronger but I was sore all the time so I had to stop. Be sooooooo careful that you don't load on the weight too fast. Not only will your heart feel like it is going to burst but you will likely puke uncontrollably and probably won't be able to walk or stand up for a week. The weight the guy above is using may not look like too much but with that number of reps and exercises it's insane. I would stick with an empty Olympic bar for the first two weeks so you get used to the different movements, it's pretty easy to injure yourself with all of the switching around.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes i do walk around sore, and i only do 4 sets not 6 as he recomands.. i add to the Olympic bar two 5 kilo plates and that's more than enough for me now, i hardly finish it. is it considered a classic cross-fit exercise?

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:59am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like it's great for endurance and conditioning. What about for gaining size and strength? Seems to be the opposite of a strength routine where a 5x5 slower paced workout with plenty of rest between exercises is encouraged.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:13am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2171056709671

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2170990908026

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2103736346704

Here are bits of mine. I also do a kettle bell workout which i haven't been able to video yet. A five minute plank Front,side,side,front,back. and a four or five minute abbs set.

Mostly it is five on one off. Mix and match as you want.

Edit: Some of that is tabata which is 20 second sets. But you can do all of those for minute sets for the less confusing.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 9/20/2011 8:18am at .

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 4:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Looks like it's great for endurance and conditioning. What about for gaining size and strength? Seems to be the opposite of a strength routine where a 5x5 slower paced workout with plenty of rest between exercises is encouraged.
    i think im gonna stick with Rendy for a while, but only once in the weekend. I still need some advice on what exercises i should emphasis on for strength. I never tried the 5X5 thing, ill give it a go while doing bench press and pull ups on my second gym. I assume because you only do 5 reps you can use max load.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 5:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2171056709671

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2170990908026

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2103736346704

Here are bits of mine. I also do a kettle bell workout which i haven't been able to video yet. A five minute plank Front,side,side,front,back. and a four or five minute abbs set.

Mostly it is five on one off. Mix and match as you want.

Edit: Some of that is tabata which is 20 second sets. But you can do all of those for minute sets for the less confusing.
    Thanx allot that looks really hard. i dont do 5 min rounds though so i probably can shorten this hell rounds to 3 min. But, this is the kind of stuff i already do in the boxing gym after the technique/sparring part is over, we call it fitness time. we do allot of cross fit stuff that came from mother russia. The 20 killo plate loop thing looks good, ill start doing that in the gym though.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 8:43am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Thanx allot that looks really hard. i dont do 5 min rounds though so i probably can shorten this hell rounds to 3 min. But, this is the kind of stuff i already do in the boxing gym after the technique/sparring part is over, we call it fitness time. we do allot of cross fit stuff that came from mother russia. The 20 killo plate loop thing looks good, ill start doing that in the gym though.
    Cool There is a new one I will be doing a new routine called tripple threat which has been spoken of with fear and awe by the guys who do that routine with irritating ease. I will post up the details.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pls do