Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:08pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started a new job about 4 months ago. In the interview my training came up and I preceded to talk about the intense training we do, the recent Dan grading we had and my involvement in it (went on for about half an hour - I'm normally a two word response type of person). When I did get the job, the thing that made me stand out was the respect, enthusiasm and reverence I held for my club, training and fellow members. Absolutely you should include on your resume.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Putting my MA experience on my resume has gotten me multiple interviews. It's usually specifically mentioned by the interviewer, and I've been offered all of the jobs which I was interviewing for. So in my experience it doesn't hurt. Most people have specifically mentioned calling me in for the interview just to ask me about that one item.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here direct from the hobby's and interests part of my CV, but since I'm European, it can be that the standard is different from U.S.A. types of CVs.

- Socializing with friends: going out for dinner, dancing, movies…
    - Making (exotic) travels (backpacking)
    - Reading: from scientific magazines to novels (preferably Sci-Fi and Stephen King)
    - Sports : English Boxing for Kickboxing styles, La Boxe Française-Savate, Muay Thai and Judo (but I'm also a pacifist)
    - Ballroom/Latin dancing : Quickstep, Vienna Waltz, English Waltz, Jive, Swing, Tango, Chachacha, Rumba, Mambo, Samba, Salsa (LA-style), Bachata, Kizomba and Merengue.
    * I can't get the styling copied from my CV to BS.Net, but you get the point

It always got me an interview with a recruiter and I'm a quality assurence architect/test manager.
    I never put too much of this in my CV, it can be explained more into detail at the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess I'm going to offer the only dissenting opinion here. I say no. I think it makes you look like a kid who has nothing substantive to put on your resume if you resort to martial arts and other hobbies.

I personally think nobody gives a ****. It's not relevant to the job. It does depend on the type of position you're applying for and the type of company you're applying with, though.

I've conducted well over a hundred interviews in my current position. Interviewing is a pain in the ass. When we bring people in we have specific questions and we want specific answers that are relevant to the work.

Once I asked a guy to tell me about a significant accomplishment. He told me about how he accomplished his goal of bench pressing 400 pounds naturally. My human side was thinking, "Bro that's awesome!" My business side was thinking, "Get this ************ out of here and bring me someone who can tell me what he did at work that mattered."

If you want to stand out, don't put fluff and bullshit in your resume. That's refreshing. If you're fresh out of college, people get that. Put together a neat, nice looking resume. Focus on school, work experience and any other work-related skills you've gained. If it's a little short, that's okay. But my suggestion is to leave out the hobbies.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put my Judo down in a short 'extra curricular' section at the bottom. Just 2-3 lines about my grade and my experience running a club.

I use it more as an example of setting and achieving a goal than anything else and sometimes leadership.

Of course its best to answer with relevant business examples. If you're answer to all the competency based questions revolve around MA you're not going to get very far.

Normally when they ask the 'what's your proudest/ best achievement' I do the whole STAR thing about goal setting to get my dan grade, how I planned it and achieved it.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will both agree and disagree with the devil:

interviewing is a pain in the ass
    and
    I called a guy in for an interview *JUST* because he listed he trained

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Devil on this one.

I look at hundreds of job applications. Granted, they are entry level, low skill jobs, but I don't give a crap about all the fluff on an application. I am far more concerned about skillsets and qualifications for the job in question than I am in ones experience as treasurer of the chess club in school.

It's just a fairly rare occasion when somebodies "hobies/other skills" section of the resume has any bearing on their qualifications for the job in question.

But then again I am kind of jaded so.....

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 5:04pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listing ma on a resume is not about job skill set but quality and character of the person. When I go for a job everyone is a professionally qualified and experienced candidate. What differentiates applicants is their character, do they pursue in their personal life qualities that are wanted within the team or are they a clock watcher who will be heading to the pub the second it hit 5pm? You only have 40-60 mins in an interview to convince that you are that someone special, any possible means to do this is useful.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 5:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a field where the top 5 resumes are almost certainly going to look very close to exactly identical in terms of qualifications and experience. At that point the difference between being one of the three people called in for an interview and having your resume circular filed might just be that little blurb about your martial arts training.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good CV has a build-up

First, your personal information (maximum 1/3 of a page)
    Second, your degrees, certificates, etc...relative to the field you want to work in (about 1/2 of a page)
    Third, degrees, certificates, courses, etc...not directly related to your field, but which could be an asset (max 1/3 of a page)
    Fourth, your work experience: date, company, title, very small job description (2 à 3 lines)
    Fifth, a skillmatrix, if required for that field
    Sixth, a language matrix, if you speak more than one language
    Seventh, at the very end a hobby's and interest section (maximum 1/2 page, better 1/3) for all your hobby's and interests.

The seventh section is at the end and can therefor be ignored by the recruiter since it has got nothing to do with knowledge, skill and experience required for your work, but it's still there to show that you have a 'balanced' life outside of work.

In an interview, don't start talking yourself over that section, it is still a job interview, not a hobby's interview. Keep the answers clear and compact (for all the subjects, work and hobby). Two hours of talking about your hobby's is a big NO.
    If they ask for your best achievement, give first a workrelated one, then a private life related one and explain the goals/positive lessons it has thought you that can be an extra for the company.

The CV just gets you through the door, after that you will have to sell yourself in the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast