Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:15pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Listing MA training on resume?

I recently finished school and certification to become a Radiation Therapist in the Cancer Treatment field. A friend that trains FMA with me is an aerospace engineer in a management position who regularly hires employees. I was talking to him about my resume and he suggested I add my MA experience to my resume. He basically recommended adding anything to my resume that will stand out beside countless other resumes to a potential employer. My friend said he'd be more interested in hiring someone who he knows is not lazy and appreciates putting in work and seeing results. I've seen other resumes before that include a section labeled "Hobbies and achievements" or something along those lines.

Here's what i've added to my resume, next to a bullet along side a few other accomplishments:

" 7 years martial arts experience, training 2-4 times a week in Filipino martial arts, Brazilian Jiu Jitusu, and other martial arts."

I purposely left it a little vague because i'm not trying to impress anyone with my experience. I mainly just wanted to convey that I've trained for the past 7 years regularly.

The reason i'm posting this is because I would have never thought to include this on my resume if my friend hadn't suggested it. Does anyone else list MA experience on a resume for a non MA job? What do bullies here that hire employees think of listing MA training?
    Last edited by jspeedy; 9/19/2011 2:17pm at . Reason: cut & paste fail

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:19pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I list it in a similar vague manner, for me it is a case of showing outside interests other than software development which is my field.

As a person who hire developers I like to see a resume (or CV as we call them ;) ) that shows a rounded individual, I tend to skim through the qualifications and job history for suitability and then check to see if it is someone we would want in the company based on this extra info.

P

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When working in Law Enforcement, it is hit or miss. At the academy you would not want to tell anyone that you train. But on a resume, it is good because they know you are fit, and dedicated.

When I review resumes, I like to see martial arts because I'm looking for something that not only sets you apart from other people, but common interests that will allow you to fit in with the dynamics of the organization. But this could apply to golf, painting, and other types of hobies too.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:36pm

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I list my martial arts training under the "hobbies and other interests" part of the CV. Added to that as an IT manager, I too, like to see candidates that have a variety of skills, having some sort of MA listed shows a heap of soft skills that are transferable to the job, added to that having something in common with your team/employees apart from work is always a bonus for team gelling.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:40pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a prof in college, who listed "I am a 3rd-degree judo black belt, and play harmonica" on his hobbies. Although he probably would have been short-listed anyway because of his very wide skillset and experience, the interviewers mentioned that they read that part and decided "I want to meet this guy."

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    When working in Law Enforcement, it is hit or miss. At the academy you would not want to tell anyone that you train. But on a resume, it is good because they know you are fit, and dedicated.
    I know a few guys that applied for police academy/courses, and they said they got major points for having a black belt.

To the OP: Just say you are an ultimate cage fighter. That should impress them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 3:39pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone is right in, whatever you can do on your resume to make you stand out from the crowd, is a good idea. I'm not sure about being vague, though. Twenty years ago, if you just put Filipino Martial Arts, a prospective employer, would have to go through some research to find out what that is. Today a simple google leads them to links for videos. However, if you have been training for seven years, there is some assumption of progress, and your progress should be noted on your resume.

The value of such training in the job market, is its representation of your drive, discipline and perseverance to complete a task. By being vague as to your accomplishments, you are shorting yourself. I personally would be wondering why you didn't mention any rank in these activities. Like maybe you are trying to hide something, or just made it up to stand out. Yeah martial arts skills may not translate directly to you field, but you aren't just selling your skills in a resume, you are selling yourself. Don't sell yourself short.

I get the whole humble thing, but your resume is kinda like the hard sell. You need to really be aggressive in your resume. They will recognize how humble you are at the interview. The point of the resume is to stand out enough to get that interview. When I was sixteen I applied for a security job. The problem was security personnel had to be eighteen years old or older. I didn't have a resume, but on my application I listed my Kajukenbo experience, which was about eight years worth at the time, but only about five of those were in adult classes. I also put down I played football and rugby, and lifted weights.

Normally they would have just filed my app cause I was too young. I lucked out though cause the manager hiring, was a former rugger. He wasn't going to hire me for security, but wanted to hire me for support staff, basically like an usher or something. On the way to the interview, I spilled some of my drink on my shirt, and it showed, so I took it off and went with the T-shirt I was wearing underneath, which was from the college we went to football camp at the previous summer.

The interview went quickly as he was alumni to the college I went to football camp at, and he liked that I played rugby and was bench pressing over 270lbs at age sixteen. He went ahead and hired me on as security which paid a dollar more an hour than the support positions. He told me I had to be eighteen to work security, and if anyone asked me how old I was, I was eighteen.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 3:42pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    I know a few guys that applied for police academy/courses, and they said they got major points for having a black belt.

To the OP: Just say you are an ultimate cage fighter. That should impress them.
    Well, I was thinking of telling them I'm a ninja that always impresses people. Right?

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 3:57pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having experience as a hiring manager, I can tell you this.

" 7 years martial arts experience, training 2-4 times a week in Filipino martial arts, Brazilian Jiu Jitusu, and other martial arts."
    Seeing the above tells me something interesting about yourself. That means I want to get a chance to meet you and it'll likely score you an interview, especially if every other resume or CV looks the same and boring.

Also, that tells me that you're dedicated and willing to put effort to achieve a goal. Just about every job on the planet wants an employee like that.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have several different benefits which can be positioned towards, depending upon the scope of hiring:

Either one can espouse the ability to commit to a long-term project and see it through, as evident by the "7 years" time of investment.

You can demonstrate your ability to train or teach new hires, as evident by listing your teaching credentials, if you taught class, privates or kids.

You can show your commitment to the community, if your school or gym ever had involvement in any community service programs.

You can embody good health, as many firms give incentives to employees whom join health clubs and/or work out to lower group insurance rates.

And, as others stated, it can just be a discussion point or a common interest.

One thing, to keep in mind, is if the working hours are "wonky" point out that your time commitment to training is fluid. For example, if the interviewer asks "when do you normally go to class" make sure to point out if there are other times available.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast