Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I guess if you have unlimited time then sure take a dance class. BUT if your goal is simply to improve your footwork for fighting I'd do some drills that people with good footwork tend to do.

I was actually in the same boat as you for a while because my first instructors were very traditional muay thai coaches and they only taught the feet on railroad tracks thai march footwork. Then I got my ass handed to me by a guy that was moving backwards the whole fight and I was well and truly confused.

My coach at that time was a black guy that was built like and moved like Anderson Silva. He had me do footwork drills at the end of every class for a year. If you are interested in drills instead of dance classes let me know and I'll post some stuff.
    Anything and everything would be appreciated. I'd love to know some drills, because I could always do those before and after sparring in addition to any other training.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well first of all who is teaching you footwork and what stepping style are you using?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach at that time was a black guy that was built like and moved like Anderson Silva. He had me do footwork drills at the end of every class for a year. If you are interested in drills instead of dance classes let me know and I'll post some stuff.
    Everyone is interested!

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 8:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well first of all who is teaching you footwork and what stepping style are you using?
    I'm keeping my front foot light and driving off my back foot. Not sure if that's called anything, though. Also talked to my buddy Jorge today, and he's a pro fighter. He might work with me a little on just shadowing, following and mimicking whatever movements he makes.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:46am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Classic partner dance like Walz or Latin partner dance like Tango or Samba may be totally sufficient.
    More exhausting is preformance dance like Ballet or Irish Dance like the stuff from "Lord of the Dance".
    In the end it may be the question, you feel the latter is the ghey or just fun.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:50am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. As far as I'm concerned that is the RIGHT way to move. You want to do that in every direction too. So if you are moving backwards you drive off your front foot and if you are moving left you drive off your right foot etc.

3 things I did to help my movement in order of importance.
    1) Spend 3 fight length rounds (if you fight 3x5 minutes each round is 5 minutes) at the end of each practice moving around the ring. Forward backward left right diagonal start over. every time return to the center of the ring. Periodically change the direction you are facing and continue. I did this for a year until I could glide across the ring in any direction from the center very quickly.

2) skip rope. lots of fucking skipping. learn all the gay tricks that you can't do right now. Like switching the rope and skipping doubles and most importantly switching your stance while moving around the room.

3) occasionally use a slip line. This is where you tie a string or wrist wraps diagonally across the boxing ring then slip to either side of it while moving across the ring and back.

Slip line:

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, is no one else going to recommend learning how to Bboy?
    I will, then. Gabe, learn how to breakdance. The only dance I know that's more lightfooted is tapdancing, and you won't learn how to do any flares or headspins therein.
    Seriously, breakdancing. It worked for Genki Sudo, it can work for you:
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 1:05pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    I guess I misread this:

I also failed to acknowledge that dancing is an advanced striking technique.

I do apologize. Carry on.
    No, what you misread was this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    but all n' all, when people criticize my striking it's with these words: "You need to improve your footwork!"

...encouraged me to take dance classes. So I ask you all, thoughts on the kind of dance that might help?

To answer the question, I've heard that game Dance Dance Revolution helps with footwork. Can't varify that though, as you'd have to pay me to play that game, or get me very very drunk. One of the two.

What helps for me is skateboarding. It's hard to pursue two separate passions, but if you're actually going to take a dance class in addition to your current training, you obviously have no problem with that.

Skateboarding will help you with learning to turn your ankles and pivot your weight, which by your description of yourself is what you need to work on, just as easily as any dance will. It aslo has the motivation of pain to succeed.

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 3:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    No, what you misread was this.

To answer the question, I've heard that game Dance Dance Revolution helps with footwork. Can't varify that though, as you'd have to pay me to play that game, or get me very very drunk. One of the two.

What helps for me is skateboarding. It's hard to pursue two separate passions, but if you're actually going to take a dance class in addition to your current training, you obviously have no problem with that.

Skateboarding will help you with learning to turn your ankles and pivot your weight, which by your description of yourself is what you need to work on, just as easily as any dance will. It aslo has the motivation of pain to succeed.
    While your suggestion is appreciated, the potential for injuries among beginners in skateboarding is much higher than those in dance.

UPDATE: My coach has intercepted me and would rather I work at certain drills than take dance. I trust him with training implicitly, so I'm going to listen, which means dance is currently off the menu. Thanks for the drills, Shark, I've been doing them and progress is slow but steady.

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 3:28pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dance. The vertical expression of a horizontal desire

I am intrigued by the association of dancing and fighting

If you can take a woman, hold her and move her every which way, control her center of gravity and at the same time keep time to the music, not only are you liable to get laid, but you will become a superior fighter. It will train you to react to your partner/opponants body language more precisely and also help you manipulate anothers CoG when up close and personal

Why do we fight? To **** essentially. All fighting is essentially about passing on your seed by fighting all rivals allowing you to stick it in
    Why do we dance? Again to ****. The woman is seeing, by the way you move her around and your style whether you are worthy to stick it in

Dancing is essentially stylised combat where you over power the female and fill her with your seed. If you dont do it the way she likes, well say hello to mister Palm!

IMO learning to dance can do nothing but aid your fighting and/or courting

The dance you learn is a matter of personal preferance. Maybe you like the hot sexy latin dances, or perhaps the more civilised ballroom styles float your boat, but they will all teach you the essential concepts of empathy/response, body placement and CoG manipulation

The wife and I learned Salsa/Merenge, but mainly because it was available, but we both would like to learn Ballroom dancing
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast