Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTFdance class?

So, I've been striking off-and-on for a few years now. I'm nowhere near properly dedicated to it, and after getting KO'd in my first fight, I've been taking steps toward changing that.

I don't think I have bad hands or head movement, per se, and I think I'm a pretty adept martial artist, but all n' all, when people criticize my striking it's with these words: "You need to improve your footwork!"

I'm not clumsy, particularly slow (or fast), and I don't think I'm incapable of learning anything, but I agree that my footwork currently has me plodding back and forth, with moments of less-plodding-more-circling to keep things interesting. Especially when I get tired, though, I fall back on my Zombie-Frankenstein-Mr. Heavyfoot plodding, and promptly get dismembered by capable strikers.

One of those guys, a pro fighter with a lot of experience and a wrestling background like me (though his is a much finer pedigree), encouraged me to take dance classes. So I ask you all, thoughts on the kind of dance that might help? He suggested Salsa, which I'm open to, but I'd like to get your opinions as well. So go ahead and unload your thoughts, criticisms, and general mockery. No quarter will be asked. Or given.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and I searched for a thread containing this kind of thing, but the engine simply jizzed a ropey load of references to Aikido, TKD, and shitty martial art X being worse than just taking dance classes. So I welcome all links to prior discussions as well.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The correct answer is "boxing", Nancy.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll say this just once so hopefully people won't complain about it. If anyone troll it I'll just not respond because we all know where it leads. But FWIW...

Instead of taking dance lessons, learn ONE moderately difficult traditional form (come on...do CMA), and make that your practice "dance" routine. If nothing else, you'll get something a little more martial than non and who knows, you might even find a new useful technique (for you) in the form.

Not saying Salsa or the Tango won't help you, but I think you'd be happier learning a form (just one...come on...be brave...it won't bite).

Agility, grace, strength, and flexibility are all improved through dance in the same ways they are improved through regular forms training. This is one of the more useful elements of certain types of forms training, particularly the circular, nonlinear types.

Regardless of how you feel about the utility of forms (and of course that differs depending on what style we're talking about), you can't deny that modern wushu is some of the best competitive "dancing" there is.

Taking that idea a step backwards to non-wushu kung fu, those "finer" points of movement and body connection that come with dancing are also clearly there in the forms.

Case in point: I have always been a very terrible dancer my whole life, but since I began learning some of my kung fu forms, I've improved significantly on the dance floor...another way of saying I no longer look like Frankenstein myself, but now a lot looser, with much more deliberate motion, better footwork, and more than anything, more precise movement when changing directions/circling.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/19/2011 1:02pm at .

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:54pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a student who was involved in swing dancing for a while. He made comment about it being good for martial arts, because it's all about moving your partner's mass from one point to another, as efficiently as possible.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 1:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    The correct answer is "boxing", Nancy.
    Thanks. I hadn't already figured that out, and then concluded that clever little retorts like this would be the majority of my responses.

You should edit and add "FIRST!" to your post. And then go wrap your mouth around a cock and shut the **** up. :-D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 1:02pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just take up tango anyway. Its quite a challenge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 1:12pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Thanks. I hadn't already figured that out, and then concluded that clever little retorts like this would be the majority of my responses.

You should edit and add "FIRST!" to your post. And then go wrap your mouth around a cock and shut the **** up. :-D
    After reading the OP, I was sure this thread was bound for YMAS. But you're shooting for Trollshido, aren't you, cocksmoker? :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 1:17pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading the OP, I was sure this thread was bound for YMAS. But you're shooting for Trollshido, aren't you, cocksmoker? :)
    You're one ignorant retard. Besides boxing footwork is about as relevant as dancing is. Neither will save you from an inside knee kick.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 1:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question was about how to get more light on my feet, not "HOW DO BOXING?!?!" If you have nothing to contribute to the thread other than "DURRR, YER SHUD TAKE MOAR BOXING CLASSUS", then let me spell it out for you: Thanks, I'm already taking boxing classes. You're adding nothing but obviousness and shitheel-dom to my thread, so shut the **** up and let the adults have a conversation.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast