Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 3:56pm

Style: JKD, MT, G.H Bagpipes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    That's handy, Cheers.

By the way, BBC 1 aired part 2 of "The Bomb Squad" last night. Christ. Cold courage or what? I couldn't see the effing mine. Then again, I couldn't see it last week either so I'd be rubbish at that.

Bravery.
    You'd love the Barma lanes in Bastion set up by the IEDD team there. They can be quite cheeky. It's a really sobering thing to miss a battery pack and go straight over what you're supposed to find,unfortunately it also happens out on the ground. I can deffo say if it wasn't for those guys being the best at what they do in the world, and being such good teachers to us mere grunts, many more blokes would be lost to IED's and mines. Had the pleasure of meeting Capt Dan Reid before we lost him and he was the bravest person you could imagine. I've also the pleasure of bein a barma guy plenty of times on ops and patrols, and so I have the utmost respect for the guys who are solely there for that purpose knowing full well there is a device, somewhere underneath. Not a job I could do!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    I'll definitely check this out... I can't for the life of me think what the hell the Taliban have that's worth firing a Javelin at though, armoured beards?
    Compound walls out there are extremely thick and difficult to penetrate even with 50 cal, I tried many times. So rather than task aircraft to come all the way out to strike the building you can just put a Jav through it. It is also handy when the enemy is too far away or fast moving to get a decent aim on him, the Jav just tracks his heat signature and follows it wherever he goes, regardless of the climate, time of day or night etc. Plus you get to say you just spent upto 60 grand that day. It's not an often occurance.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 7:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's handy, Cheers.

By the way, BBC 1 aired part 2 of "The Bomb Squad" last night. Christ. Cold courage or what? I couldn't see the effing mine. Then again, I couldn't see it last week either so I'd be rubbish at that.

Bravery.
    Just watched episode 1.

**** that, I could not do that job, no way.

Hats off to them.

That's the real and terrible untold story of the war in Afghanistan, its not how many have died. Its how many young men have lost arms, legs, been paralysed, lost brain function etc...

There really needs to be more said about that price paid by our boys and more done to help and support them.

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Just watched episode 1.

**** that, I could not do that job, no way.

Hats off to them.

That's the real and terrible untold story of the war in Afghanistan, its not how many have died. Its how many young men have lost arms, legs, been paralysed, lost brain function etc...

There really needs to be more said about that price paid by our boys and more done to help and support them.
    A lot of them are losing lower limbs and more. That aspect is under-reported, or so I'm led to believe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of them are losing lower limbs and more. That aspect is under-reported, or so I'm led to believe.
    The past 3 tours have also seen a rise in triple amputee's due to secondary devices and the intentional targetting of the EOD blokes and lassies. The main charge is also going up and up in weight, and the metal content in the battery packs are less and less so harder to detect without calling out the IEDD team. It's a dire situation to be in. I have a close colleague who lost everything below the waist on our last tour and compared to others I've been with who were below the knee, he is still in a terrible state almost 6 months later. At the time of the incident, I canni even describe the scene and the state he was in. Thank the almighty for the MERT and US PEDRO team and the docs in Bastion!

Hopefully these programmes will give more of an insight into how bad it is out there,I don't know many lads who haven't been involved in a strike or a near miss,I'm sure RockApe is the same with their role. Thing is in the UK, if it wasn't for certain charities, we wouldn't have the world class facilities and resources that get the lads back on track with their lives. Inspiring people for sure.

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 4:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, when they said 'severe pelvic injuries' I just thought to myself, you know what that's code for. Poor bugger.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 12:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Yes, when they said 'severe pelvic injuries' I just thought to myself, you know what that's code for. Poor bugger.
    which is why the new, er, pelvic protection has been procured. It's rather like a sling for your, er, "parts". Or in the parlance, your 1%.

Statistics, eh? So impersonal...

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 12:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, at first I had visions in my head of a turbaned gentleman fleeing a homing missile Benny Hill style, to the sound of yakety sax.

And now I'm just depressed.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 7:01am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishsoldier View Post
    I'm sure RockApe is the same with their role.
    I'm not going to bullshit you mate, as RAF Regiment I'm a glorified gate guard with a responsibility for tesseral patrols and such like. I have the greatest respect for line infantry, when I first joined up back in '83 I joined the Light Infantry (2LI) but only did three and a bit years, this was in the days of Banner and Tosca and long before what our boys have to endure today.

My best experiences of Telic and Herrick have been working IRT/MERT protection where I've felt I've been contributing to the effort of bringing home our injured.

My tours by comparison to those of line infantry living and operating in platoon houses, are relatively easy. I recognise there's some disdain toward RAF Regiment from the British Army - especially infanteers but I think we're our own worse enemy at times, mainly because of the like of II Sqn who cut about in maroon, wearing wings as if they equal the Paras.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. Stay safe mate.

Dave
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 9/24/2011 7:04am at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post

My best experiences of Telic and Herrick have been working IRT/MERT protection where I've felt I've been contributing to the effort of bringing home our injured.

My tours by comparison to those of line infantry living and operating in platoon houses, are relatively easy. I recognise there's some disdain toward RAF Regiment from the British Army - especially infanteers but I think we're our own worse enemy at times, mainly because of the like of II Sqn who cut about in maroon, wearing wings as if they equal the Paras.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. Stay safe mate.

Dave
    Hats off to anyone involved in MERT, I wasn't aware that was a RAF Regt role actually protecting them,you won't find any true infanteer dissing people there. True you see some proper prima donnas around Bastion and KAF but we also have our own aka...the Recce Platoon. At the end of the day it's a job that someone needs to do, and if they got rid of you lads, and we had to spend our tour around Bastion or Kaf, we'd be the first to praise your return!

I only posted that as I was aware of a SAC who was victim of an IED blast in Musa Qaleh on H11 and suffered quite bad pelvic injuries. He was an FAC attached to the YORKS I believe.

I'm about as safe as it's possible to be in Glasgow on a weekend!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast