Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 10:51pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it even impossible?

I am getting ready for my amateur debut (boxing) on the 22nd October. I know its a bit early to start preparing but university work has eased off a bit, so why not?

Anyways, hooks. My jab is okay, my straight is fine, my uppercut is decent...and then there is the hook used for infighting. Mine snaps a little on the bag and I am executing the technique properly (or as properly as you could with my amount of experience), but since I am 5"5 (167cm) and 107 pounds (48.7kg), it is very hard for me to generate enough power to KO (or even to seriously daze) my opponent.

It is getting to me as I have tried all that I know. I train three times a week with each class being two hours long. I have started weight lifting after the session ends and on spare days but, after almost a month, improvement in the power of my hook has still been very slow.

Please help! I am willing to do almost anything (other than steroids) to generate power better!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:08am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, first of all... you don't have to knock out your opponent to win that fight. Also, how do you know you don't generate enough power to daze your opponent? Have you done actual hard sparring before or is this something you assume from punching the heavy bag?

And lastly... it's really hard to recommend anything about your punching power without seeing how you punch first... you do have a coach, right? What are his recommendations when it comes to your hooks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:21am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I found out during hard sparring which I've been doing 4 x 2 rounds at least once or twice a week. Yes, I know I can win with a decision but yeah....of the two, which would you prefer?

I did ask my coach and he told me to win on points, which, as said above made me curious if its even possible to do so?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:32am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this reads kind of funny... "Hey coach, how can I improve my hook so I can go for a knock-out?" "Eh, yeah... better try to win by decision, k?"

Anyway, I experienced my hook improving a lot as I got better at the proper hip/ shoulder movement... is there any way you can post a video of you doing a couple of hooks to the bag or something so that it's possible to give any specific tips?

Edit: the fact that your coach recommends going for a decision might be an indication that this might be the best way for several reasons, for example lack of experience on your part etc.