Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 12:07pm

Style: Okinawan Go Ju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Throwing away training to be a Ninja?

My friend and I trained in Traditional Goju Ryu Karate Do for years, although I had a few more years of training than him. And he was becoming an awesome fighter and actually won competitions and was able to hold his own, but then he started training in the Bujinkan Ninjutsu school somewhere around here. His ground game got better, but his striking went to complete novice status over a period of a week. He started using awkward looking stances that resembled a crab and stuff like that. I remember the last time I sparred him it was nothing special, but then he said he was planning on dropping the Karate training and going full ninjutsu in fighting.

He also started showing me Youtube videos of his "Ninja" stuff and he seemed to have gotten pissed cause I said the one literally looked like pushing tactics and the aliveness was non-existent. He learned way more practical techniques in Karate than he did in the Booj.

He's also a member of this sight and I really don't care if he see's this. I think it was time for something to be said anyway and I have no ways of getting in touch with the guy. I haven't seen his combat recently, but if it's still going down the path it was the last time it's gonna be pretty bad.

What would you say to a guy that's done this? His original idea was to cross train with the Karate and Ninjutsu, but then he's gonna throw away previous training? :IamDisappointed:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say anything to him. His path is his own, and yours is your own. Go, train, and be merry.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 12:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta agree with above. Anything you say right now will be taken with an extra dose of aggression and skepticism. Hopefully your friend comes around. If not, he is destined to gain ~40lbs, and die in his parent's basement a lonely balding virgin with an overly active youtube account.

Best thing you can do is stay on good terms, keep sparring, and do your best to introduce elements of cross training. Sparring in a friendly and open environment is probably the best way to see what will work, and what will not. Then again, ninjas are just as delusional as CMAers when it comes to rationalizing why they lost, so hey, you do what you can.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 12:39pm

Style: Okinawan Go Ju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks you two, the guy is my friend so I wish I was able to do more but you're right. I already got hit with some of that aggression when I told him about his "Ninja Pushing Tactics". I'll admit I sounded like a dick when I told him about it. And I have to admit I was thinking about learning Ninjutsu too along with him, but after I saw what is taught, I figured it wasn't for me. I decided I would have better luck going into Judo and Aikido than Ninjutsu for cross training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 6:36am

Style: 空手/HNIR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (...) And he was becoming an awesome fighter and actually won competitions and was able to hold his own (...)
    and
    his striking went to complete novice status over a period of a week.
    seems really awkward to me. How well trained was this friend actually?

anyone dispensing with good techniques and training from the past deserves booj.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 6:47am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if he likes the Buj club that he has found then what's the problem? It's not like he wants to be a prize fighter or anything plus he has already experienced sparring. Not all Buj clubs are the same, you may find it hard to believe but there are actually some good instructors out there. Sounds like he has found an interest in the mechanics of taijutsu. Once he understands the short comings then let him enjoy his training. You say he's a member of this site already, if that's the case then he has already seen the arguments against the BBT.

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 9:18am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Skin View Post
    He also started showing me Youtube videos of his "Ninja" stuff and he seemed to have gotten pissed cause I said the one literally looked like pushing tactics and the aliveness was non-existent. He learned way more practical techniques in Karate than he did in the Booj.
    There are YouTube videos??? I could use some entertainment.

Is there a website?

EDIT: I'm being too snarky. I do agree with the other posters here that your friend's path is his path. He needs to learn his own lessons.
    Last edited by Styygens; 9/11/2011 9:24am at .

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 11:41am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have no way of contacting him? So his ninjer training is working.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 11:44am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously though. A friend can only be honest. Tell him that you think the Booj sucks. Demonstrate it if he persists.

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 1:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let people make their own decisions in general, but friends don't let friends become ninjas.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast