Posted On:7/13/2011 5:29am
I passed my 4th kyu Orange belt grading the other day and am pretty pleased. The belts from now on start getting darker (Green, Blue, Brown) so I'm starting to feel less of a complete novice and more like an advanced novice.
For those interested the syllabus is pasted below
5TH KYU – 4TH KYU
• Tsuri -komi-goshi
• O-uchi-gari into Ko-uchi -gari
• Ko-uchi-gari into O-soto-gari or O-soto-gake
• Ko-uchi-gari into Morote-seoi-nage
• Ippon-seoi -nage into Ko-uchi -gari
• any technique as combinations with
• O-uchi-gari countered by Tsuri-komi-goshi • Tai-otoshi countered by Ko-soto-gari
- from Kesa-gatame using ‘bridge and roll’
- into Kesa-gatame from between Uke’s legs’
- into Yoko-shiho-gatame from between
• arm roll
- from behind Uke
- from in front of Uke
• turn over from underneath Uke into Tate-shiho-gatame
• demonstration of attacking and defending in light Randori with a co-operative partner
Candidates arerequired to:
• select and demonstrate three waza (two tachi-waza and one ne-waza) from the BJA Technical Grading
Syllabus and demonstrate them as a combination, a counter and as a transition into ne-waza
TERMINOLOGY AND SUPPLEMENTARY KNOWLEDGE
Candidates are required to:
· know the common English translations and meaning of all Japanese terminology used in this section and
must be able to discuss with the Examiner the reasons for their choice of technique, grip etc
· translate the following Japanese words into their common English names and where appropriate explain
Shido Hiki -wake Uke Tori
Hantei Hansoku-make Waza-ari -awasete-ippon
· demonstrate the Referee’s signals for:
Matte Osaekomi Toketa Adjusting the judogi
· demonstrate the proper procedures for coming onto and leaving the mat during a contest
· give two examples of actions (not grips) against the contest rules
· give two examples of grips against the contest rules for negative or safety reasons
1. Randori is introduced for this grade. It is to be demonstrated in the form of light Randori of approximately
three minutes duration. The examiner will expect to see a variety of waza and kumi-kata and, if possible,
throws to both right and left sides.
2. For the personal choice element, techniques must be demonstrated in an appropriate practical situation
that includes attacking opportunity, best grip and appropriate movement.
Posted On:7/13/2011 10:34am
Posted On:7/14/2011 1:43am
Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
How I envy you, goddamned Aikikai Italy has 6th kyu as well so i'm still just 5th...
Posted On:7/14/2011 2:55pm
Posted On:8/01/2011 11:23pm
Posted On:8/02/2011 12:01am
Style: Karate & Kickboxing
Congrats on the pass, enjoy your training for your 3rd kyu :)
Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld
Posted On:8/02/2011 10:41pm
Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu
Getting a kyu grade is like being in school recital. No one cares except your parents, and even they are secretly pleading for something to shut you up so they can stop feigning interest.
Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ
"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken
My Bullshido fan club threads:
Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
ATTN TOM KAGAN
World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Posted On:8/22/2011 4:29am
Congratulations! I remember when I was an orange belt (I was about 13 or 14, there were no junior grades then or other kids in my club). I remember it because I visited the Budokwai and practised with the national coach, Geoff Gleeson. He was always friendly to me but he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
Shime Waza Test Dummy
Posted On:8/28/2011 2:13am
Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
Ignore Tom, you should be proud, ESPECIALLY if this spurns you on to keep training!!!!! Keep going & never stop!!!!
(pls note: as STAFF of Bullshido, he shouldn't be such a **** about someone training in a "real" art like Judo. For Shame!)
"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***
"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19
"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
What's the point?
Posted On:8/28/2011 4:13am
Style: judo, MMA
Keep up the good work! I'm orange to (not like an oompaloompa). I plan to grade up to green this autumn
Tom Kagen is a bitter and twisted chap, whoose parents never turned up to his recitals (IMO)
Articles and Reviews
Tools and Info