Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/25/2011 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pak Mei/Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from visiting Sifu Doucet for 4 days. I had a great time out there and got to watch him teaching a beginners class at one point, they are coming along fast!

His skill with entering strategy, and managing the limbs as he strikes never ceases to amaze me, if he really decided to put that art to work, you might as well cancel Christmas, and anything else you planned on doing that you can't do from bed LOL.

OZZ, you are lucky to have him so close by.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just returned from the 2012 Short Fist Retreat in Temagami, a solid week of training in beautiful Northern Ontario hosted by Mike and his son, Max.
    Unfortunately, I am extremely pressed for time as I only have two days until I leave again, this time for the Mediterranean on a long-overdue trip to Greece, so I will have to postpone a lengthy review until I get back.
    But just quickly, it was a great time and awesome to be back working with other short fist fighters, old and new.
    I especially enjoyed finally meeting and working with todei Jason ( Applied Combat ), an experienced sanshou fighter and Hung Gar sifu in his own right; who through his work ethic and dedication to training in short fist has reminded the longtime members how lucky we are to have Mike and Max so readily available to us.
    I also believe to have discovered a new species while in the forests of Temagami...the fearsome monstrosous short fistuses. Only one known sighting, so far..but I have a feeling it won't be long before the larger martial arts community comes to be familiar with this creature..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 11:29am

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way to rub it in, OZZ. Really though, you need to push them to have someone move down to the Philly area in the US.

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 5:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was an awesome time, and it was great to meet OZZ and work out with him in person (he is a good guy, and he had me cracking up half the time as well). We covered a ton of Short Fist and Pak Mei concepts up there as well as tons of drilling and footwork. Sifu Mike Doucet did a few jaw dropping demo's, his skill level never ceases to amaze me. I will also try to write up a formal, longer review. If I remember, I will try to add in the stories of the attacking wild chickens and a few others as well LOL.

I am heading back up for the 2nd retreat at the beginning of August. I will try to do a write up on that one as well.

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 8:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a student (6 months in) in Mike's beginner's class here in London and was one of the guys that was up there for the retreat. I gotta say it was an amazing time. I was expecting to experience a lot of material being that it is an entire week devoted to training and frankly my expectations were exceeded. I got a lot out of the trip and know that my Short Fist has gotten stronger. Seriously happy that I was able to go! Great training, great guys, beautiful atmosphere, and even the food was amazing.

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Applied Combat View Post
    If I remember, I will try to add in the stories of the attacking wild chickens and a few others as well LOL.
    Oh man...that fricken chicken! It didn't give a **** how tough anyone was. It was ready to throw down and beak everyone's face off!

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 1:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin000 View Post
    Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a student (6 months in) in Mike's beginner's class here in London and was one of the guys that was up there for the retreat. I gotta say it was an amazing time. I was expecting to experience a lot of material being that it is an entire week devoted to training and frankly my expectations were exceeded. I got a lot out of the trip and know that my Short Fist has gotten stronger. Seriously happy that I was able to go! Great training, great guys, beautiful atmosphere, and even the food was amazing.
    I put up a gallery of pictures from the retreat here: http://www.appliedcombat.com/?page_id=652. I will keep adding to it over the next couple of days, waiting on a picture of the vicious chicken as well as a few others.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 12:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Robin000,

Not sure if I got your contact info from you before we left. Send me an email at infoATappliedcombatlDOTcom when you get a chance.

Thanks
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234