Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2011 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Applied Combat View Post
    Hey all, I am the Hung Gar guy mentioned above that trains under Mr. Doucet. I figured I would create and account and add my 2 cents.

Mike Doucet trained under Lee. I am not aware the either of them post online currently, but Lee used to post on this site if I recall.

As to the system itself, there is more reliable info on www.pakmei.net as well as the posts Lee put on this forum than I have seen anywhere else.

Short fist is great stuff, I practice it daily. It can be hard to find Chinese martial arts that are practical all around in this day and age.
    Good to have you here. Mike tells me you have a strong sanshou background.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 1:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pak Mei/Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Good to have you here. Mike tells me you have a strong sanshou background.
    Thanks OZZ,

I never trained "san shou" specifically as an art, but there is a lot in Hung that maps directly over to fighting under San Shou/San Da/Lei Tai rules. It can be a great format for a striker to learn how to deal with take-downs while having to deal with blows at the same time. I also just liked getting to scrap with people that trained hard, were in shape, didn't have obvious holes in their game, and were meaner than training partners once you got in front of them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 4:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.

We pretty much accept that Sanshou is a rule set on this forum not a style. I am almost certain OZZ meant that it is cool to see a kung fu guy compete.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 4:15pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.

We pretty much accept that Sanshou is a rule set on this forum not a style. I am almost certain OZZ meant that it is cool to see a kung fu guy compete.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks OZZ,

I never trained "san shou" specifically as an art, but there is a lot in Hung that maps directly over to fighting under San Shou/San Da/Lei Tai rules. It can be a great format for a striker to learn how to deal with take-downs while having to deal with blows at the same time. I also just liked getting to scrap with people that trained hard, were in shape, didn't have obvious holes in their game, and were meaner than training partners once you got in front of them.
    Good stuff.
    I hear you are coming to town next week..I'm on midnights so I can't make it out, hopefully next time.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is a lot in Hung that maps directly over to fighting under San Shou/San Da/Lei Tai rules. It can be a great format for a striker to learn how to deal with take-downs while having to deal with blows at the same time.
    very true. welcome to bullshido.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2011 11:15am

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had wanted to make a thread on Bak Mei, but didn't think it get much attention, and IiF was kind enough to make it for me. Thanks. I hope OZZ and Applied Combat continue to share with us.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/15/2011 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did we ever find some footage of good quality Hung Gar in full contact competition or hard sparring for the 'Full Contact CMA' thread ? I don't remember seeing any. I'd still like to if Ming or Applied Combat know of any on youtube.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    10/15/2011 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Did we ever find some footage of good quality Hung Gar in full contact competition or hard sparring for the 'Full Contact CMA' thread ? I don't remember seeing any. I'd still like to if Ming or Applied Combat know of any on youtube.
    Check the last post in that thread Cull. I found a great set of videos out of Eastern Europe, it's all Hung Kuen.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...51#post2606251

Alternately, watch Onassis Parungao in UFC7 (glove-less, to boot). The slow replay from 0:43 onward is a great example of Hung ga striking technique in action, leading right into the takedown and ultimately submission due to strikes.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjk4MzgwODQ0.html
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/15/2011 1:13pm at . Reason: My favorite is the fu jow to the face at 0:53.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2011 1:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have stayed quiet. Yes, they are good videos no they don't belong in that thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109803
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast