Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 6:30pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Knife in Bartitsu

Does anyone have some sort of resource for knife techniques in Bartitsu? I can't seem to find anything on the intertubes besides the fact that Barton-Wright had learned "...the use of stiletto under recognized masters."

Thanks in advance,
    Yli

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    Does anyone have some sort of resource for knife techniques in Bartitsu? I can't seem to find anything on the intertubes besides the fact that Barton-Wright had learned "...the use of stiletto under recognized masters."

Thanks in advance,
    Yli
    That's pretty much all anyone knows. There's one random reference to members of the Bartitsu Club learning "the use of the dagger", one of Barton-Wright's early articles shows a defense against a dagger-wielding attacker, and he occasionally referred to using a Vigny canne against an enemy armed with a knife, but there's no surviving technical material on this at all, unfortunately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 10:06am

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Vigny canne have any knife techniques? Could he have been among the 'recognized masters' Barton-Wright studied with?

Ugh, I need to get back to reading my copy of the compendium...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 10:28am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case then, are there any other Western martial arts from around the turn of the 20th Century that focus on the use of the knife? There's western fencing and Italian style dagger fencing, but I don't know if that's entirely applicable.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosai View Post
    Does Vigny canne have any knife techniques? Could he have been among the 'recognized masters' Barton-Wright studied with?

Ugh, I need to get back to reading my copy of the compendium...
    There are no recorded knife techniques in the Vigny system per se, but there are some in comparable French and Italian systems.

It's unlikely that Vigny was among the masters Barton-Wright had studied with during his pre-1895 travels, as B-W was considerably older than Vigny.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 12:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    In that case then, are there any other Western martial arts from around the turn of the 20th Century that focus on the use of the knife? There's western fencing and Italian style dagger fencing, but I don't know if that's entirely applicable.
    There are indeed - the most famous is probably the Spanish navaja system, which has been revived based on a detailed manual from the late 1800s, and there are still-extant Italian knife arts. I studied a bit of the latter in a small town in Italy a number of years back; the most traditional styles are still a bit off-the-radar but there are some YouTube videos, etc. these days.