Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's a great time to be a boxing fan

This past weekend was incredible. Within 48 hours, we had:

• Ajose Olusegun vs. Ali Chebah
    • Liam Walsh vs. Paul Appleby
    • Toshiaki Nishioka vs. Rafael Marquez
    • Sebastien Sylvester vs. Grzegorz Proksa
    • Roman Gonzalez vs. Omar Soto

Hell, Darren Baker showed up to fight Sergio Martinez -- and we got a highlight reel KO out of it. And while we had one controversial fight (Cunningham-Hernandez), that was still a fight that could have gone either way.

From where I'm standing, there's a lot of potential new stars that are beginning to make noise. Proksa looks like a fusion of RJJ and Calzaghe. El Chocolatitto is a little guy with power who has huge crossover appeal. Seth Mitchell is a heavyweight who could trouble the Klitschkos in two years.

This has been the year of the upset. The guys who were "supposed to win" have been exposed. New talent is bubbling below the surface. Interesting match-ups continue to be made.
    Last edited by atomicpoet; 10/03/2011 5:15pm at . Reason: Spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 5:26pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This has been the year of the upset. The guys who were "supposed to win" have been exposed. New talent is bubbling below the surface. Interesting match-ups continue to be made.
    That's because the newer talent is fighting less and less cans and paid losers. Then the guys fat from being fed opponents throughout their careers fight people who actually know how to box and are actually trying to win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 5:48pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    That's because the newer talent is fighting less and less cans and paid losers. Then the guys fat from being fed opponents throughout their careers fight people who actually know how to box and are actually trying to win.
    This is exactly what happened to Andre Berto, Juan Manuel Lopez, and James Kirkland. Their bubbles have popped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This is exactly what happened to Andre Berto, Juan Manuel Lopez, and James Kirkland. Their bubbles have popped.
    I love it that boxing is finally getting serious again. The new generation is already fighting each other, and the old is still avoiding each other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 8:42pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone else think Darren Barker was being disrespected by the commentators even though he gave Martinez a run for his money the whole fight

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 8:44pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now looking forward to Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson and Pacquiao vs Marquez.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 8:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly couldn't care less about Pac Marq III. Neither guy has anything to gain with this fight, other than the obvious money. There's really no defending Pac in the claim that he is scooping up Floyds victims. If he fight's Ortiz next I'll never talk about him again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    Did anyone else think Darren Barker was being disrespected by the commentators even though he gave Martinez a run for his money the whole fight
    Don't mind HBO. Sometimes they get a hard-on for a certain fighter. Thing is, Barker was an unknown in America fighting against the #3 P4P fighter. Now we know that Barker belongs amongst the top 10 middleweights. I'd put him in the ring any time against Sturm, Geale, or Chavez Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    Now looking forward to Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson and Pacquiao vs Marquez.
    Here's how I grade the upcoming PPVs:

Bernard Hopkins vs. Chad Dawson
    Grade: B+
    This is not a fight for casual fans, but will be appreciated by students of the game. Both fighters are highly technical and know the ins and outs of boxing. The undercard is pretty good, featuring Antonio DeMarco vs. Jorge Linares, Danny Garcia vs. Kendall Holt, and Paulie Malignaggi vs. Orlando Lora.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez III
    Grade: B-
    Their first two fights were classics, but I don't know what Pacquiao will prove by fighting an old JMM. Still, Marquez has that X factor that meshes with Pacquiao's style -- and I know this may very well be his last hurrah. The only bright light of the undercard is Jorge Arce who always entertains. Timothy Bradley is fighting a 40-year-old Joel Casamayor -- this fight is happening to familiarize Bradley with the audience that only buys Pacquiao fights, because this is who Pacquiao is fighting next.

Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito II
    Grade: A+
    This PPV is a must see. Cotto-Margarito was a classic. There's a lot of intangibles that could bring this fight either way. But more than that, the undercard will probably outshine the main event. Pavel Wolak vs. Delvin Rodriguez II is a sequel of the FOTY candidate that occurred last summer, and could very well exceed the original. Mike Jones is stepping up with Sebastian Lujan. Brandon Rios, who is one of the most exciting lightweights I've seen in recent years, will also be on this card.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

never heard of him before, but kamegai is definitely on my watch list now.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post

never heard of him before, but kamegai is definitely on my watch list now.
    Ha. I know that guy from knocking out a ref.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast