Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:28am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Increase Stamina

Quick back ground...
    I used to run 20 - 30 miles / week. Ran during lunch, the building I worked in had a gym so I could shower and return to lunch. Sprained my ankle, changed jobs and can't make myself get up early enough to go run in the morning. Running after work is out because I have to help the kids with homework, dinner and bed time. I know, I'm full of excuses, I can't help it.

So...

I'm looking for an interval type workout to help build my stamina. I am getting gassed quick during randori.

My ideas was to do something like this but I don't want to be random with it, I want some sort of plan.

30 seconds - run in place
    30 seconds - push-ups (as many as i can push out in that time)
    30 seconds - jumping jacks
    30 seconds - crunches
    30 seconds - rest
    start over.

Does that make sense? I'm hoping to throw in some weights as well. I'm looking to do about 30 - 45 minutes in the morning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:53am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    umm.. randori stamina is somehow different than running stamina.

/e how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

/e #2 fakejudoka?? post count 2 ?? oh dear.
    Last edited by Uglybugly; 2/02/2012 10:58am at .

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what you're doing seems aerobic, which means it's probably not the best thing for improving your endurance during randori (which is highly anaerobic). You're gassing out because your core and arm muscles are probably weak (your legs are probably fine because of the running).

Running for 30m is easy if you are used to aerobic workouts, but 1 minute of randori beats most people not used to that kind of explosive muscle use.

Muscle conditioning exercises are probably what's missing from your regimen. Swimming, weight lifting, dynamic tension exercises would all help.

Hopefully one of the physical trainer types can offer better advice but chances are you just need to lift/push/pull some weight.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/02/2012 11:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 11:44am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fakejudoka View Post
    Quick back ground...
    I used to run 20 - 30 miles / week. Ran during lunch, the building I worked in had a gym so I could shower and return to lunch. Sprained my ankle, changed jobs and can't make myself get up early enough to go run in the morning. Running after work is out because I have to help the kids with homework, dinner and bed time. I know, I'm full of excuses, I can't help it.

So...

I'm looking for an interval type workout to help build my stamina. I am getting gassed quick during randori.

My ideas was to do something like this but I don't want to be random with it, I want some sort of plan.

30 seconds - run in place
    30 seconds - push-ups (as many as i can push out in that time)
    30 seconds - jumping jacks
    30 seconds - crunches
    30 seconds - rest
    start over.

Does that make sense? I'm hoping to throw in some weights as well. I'm looking to do about 30 - 45 minutes in the morning.
    Pick up some kettle bells, pushups/hindu pushups, sprawls, burpess, hindu squats, sit throughs, forwards rolls, backword rolls (both from knees) sit ups, crunches, russian twists and turkish get ups.

Pushups: 10x3
    Hindu Pushups: 10x3
    Sprawls: however many you can do in 2 minutesx 3
    Burpees: ""
    The rolls: Go around a room one or twice.(if you can't do the rolls because of carpet, forget
    it)
    Sit throughs:as many as you can do for 2 mintues x3 (a one count is both sides)
    Situps: 20x3
    Crunches 50x2
    Russian Twists: 30x3
    Hindu Squats: I do 40x3... but whatever you can do x3?
    Turkish get ups: 5x3

Kettlebells:
    Swing: 15x3
    Snatch:15x3
    Snatch/press: 15x3

Make sure that there is little or no rest in between sets and only allow yourself 30-60 seconds of rest between exercises.

You have to get used to you body weight. You may also want to check out gynastica natural.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the suggestions...
    I knew running endurance was different. I was mainly looking for specific exercise suggestions which were provided.

Thanks again

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruiser has a good workout posted there!

The only thing, and this is not meant to be disrespectful, is that you seem to have a lot of excuses. Maybe it is a little bit of a crutch. Maybe you are a little lazy(I'm speaking from experience). With this in mind, Bruiser's workout may seem to be too much to look at from a distance.

So you may want to start small. Relatively speaking. Burpies is great for this! Start doing them and do as many as you can. See if you can do 50 without stopping. Bet you cant. And then go onto the next exercises after that. You will be surprised how gassed you are.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are right as far as excuses come. I've got a lot of them. I tend to use them until I get into a routine.

I'll definitely use some of the exercises. I some like to make it difficult as it helps me push.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 3:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Bruiser has a good workout posted there!

The only thing, and this is not meant to be disrespectful, is that you seem to have a lot of excuses. Maybe it is a little bit of a crutch. Maybe you are a little lazy(I'm speaking from experience). With this in mind, Bruiser's workout may seem to be too much to look at from a distance.
    Thanks man. I take my conditioning inspiration from Karl Gotch, so I do a lot. I don't do every exercise every time so I make sure to work each muscle group two different ways (except for the core, I have one for each region: upper, lower, and obliques). I have a "simplified" version of the workout from when I began my conditioning, so I'll put it up here:

Workout for beginners:

Warm up- Cherry pickers and Jumping Jacks x 50

Kettlebell swing: 15x3
    Standard pushups:15x3

Kettlebell snatch: 15x3
    Hindu squats: However many you can do x3

Kettlebell Jerk and Press: 15x3
    Sit ups: 20x3

Turkish get up w/kettlebell: 5x3
    Russian twist "" :20x3

Do a set of kettlebell work then a set of calisthenics until you run through the entire thing.

See how it's divided into four parts? You can take a break between the first two but second two, but no rest between the kettlebells and calisthenics.
    Last edited by Bruiser; 2/02/2012 4:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 4:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great! I'll try it for a couple of days and let you know..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem man! Eventually I want to add paralette, gymnastic rings, and rope climbing to my work outs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast