Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with Judo Gi

Not sure if this belongs here or "ask the coach"

I just started taking Judo and I had some questions about gi's.

what size is good for me?
    I am 6'2" 260lbs at the moment. Though I hope to lose at least 20-30lbs at some point. I have long arms and usually don't fit regular sizes in shirts and go "tall". According to size charts, some recommend a 5 and some a 6 for shrinkage.

How important and what is the difference between single and double weave?
    I figure double weave is going to be more sturdy and probably much heavier. I sweat.. alot. I am planning on getting a couple double weave sets, but I wonder if it's at all useful for me to get a single weave gi for randori, with the possibility of it getting torn easily.

How important is gi color?
    I notice that white and blue seem to be traditional colors for U.S. and Japan respectively, but I have also seen black judo gi's from time to time. In fact I noticed Coach Josh wearing one in one of his videos. I would like to be able to change up sometimes and I wonder if it matters at all if I were to wear a black gi on occasion.

Thanks
    Ben

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what the size system in America is as over here its done on a simple height system.

For someone your height and build I'd probably recommend a 190, as that's roughly how tall you are. I would avoid the competition orientated gi because they tend to be cut on the slimmer side and you'll want a bit of room in yours.

I don't really understand the fuss between double and single weave as in the UK I don't think they even mention what weave the gi is. I assume my gi are all double, but I don't know.

I'd reckon that as double weave seems to refer to competition gi, which as I've already discussed will be cut thin. You might want to go for a single as its probably going to be roomier.

If your gi gets torn easily then you must have paid about a fiver for it. I have what I assume is a 'single weave' kit from when I was a kid doing Judo and it has not torn at all despite lots of abuse and use.

Don't buy a black gi, you'll only make life hard for yourself.

A white belt in a black gi is basically saying 'I'm a colossal douche and will probably quite to train UFC after 2 weeks'.

Many clubs wont let you train in it and just generally no.

Get a white one.

No one will ever object, it works for every occasion and situation. However, if you really have a hard on for looking like a smurf, buy a blue gi. Just whatever you do don't buy a black one.

If you want to, post a rough budget we can get more specific on exact gi you're interested in and best places to get it from etc...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the 6. If it's too big wash it and throw it in the dryer.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses.

@judoka_UK- initially I was trying to stay between $70 and $100 per set. I notice that single weave tends to be cheaper in price so $50-$75 for that.

I was interested in this double weave white since it's on sale. =p
    http://www.karatedepot.com/un-ju-04.html

here is the black one for lol's:
    http://www.karatedepot.com/un-ju-49.html

I've read mixed reviews on Mizuno and Adidas brands.

@Vorpal- I think you are right on this one. Better safe than sorry. I'd much rather it be a little big than it be xtra smedium.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably a 5.5 or a 6, but ask your coach. It can depend on the manufacturer. White.

There's a large weight and bulk difference between single and double weave. Singles are cheap and light. Doubles are much heavier and with thicker lapels. Personally, I can't stand double weaves in the summer. Singles fold easily into a backpack; doubles do not. Singles are fine for beginners. Doubles are pricey.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BearHammer View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

@judoka_UK- initially I was trying to stay between $70 and $100 per set. I notice that single weave tends to be cheaper in price so $50-$75 for that.

I was interested in this double weave white since it's on sale. =p
    http://www.karatedepot.com/un-ju-04.html

here is the black one for lol's:
    http://www.karatedepot.com/un-ju-49.html

I've read mixed reviews on Mizuno and Adidas brands.
    Dunno what you've read but I'd take a Mizuno or Addidas over an own brand judo gi from a karate website...

If you're looking to get two then there's nothing stopping you from getting 1 single and 1 double and one in white and one in blue (again, if hard for smurfdom).

The septics, usually recommend this place to get gi from.

http://www.kodokangear.com

If you don't mind having shoulder flashes -

Then addidas make good gi.

http://www.kodokangear.com/adidas-judo-uniform.html

The singles are pretty cheap so you could get one of those and double weave 'contest' and come out under budget - the contest in size 6/6.5 is $120.

Doesn't say what postage is though, I would suspect not that much.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan Rho or Kwon

Simply the best gis for the money.

http://kwonusa.com/index.php?option=...=508&Itemid=26
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all the info guys

solves problems with violence supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would stick with white gis until you're competing, then maybe a blue one in addition. black gi? no.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BearHammer View Post
    thanks for all the info guys
    No wucas.

I've never actually worn or seen a Kwon or Danrho gi, but if Josh recommends them then they're going to be fine.

If you need anymore advice let us know.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last