Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 6:16pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing Gym in NY

Hey everyone, hopefully I posted this thread in the correct section, if not, well, then fml.

Anyways, I'm looking for a good boxing gym in NY, preferably somewhere near Nassau County, Long Island. The only school I do keep hearing a lot of good things about is in Brooklyn and called "Gleasons," it def looks awesome but seems a bit to far away from me.

If anyone's wondering what I mean by a "good" boxing gym, I'd say that what I'm looking for is a gym with a strong focus on competing/fighting in the ring. I'm not interested in any sort of boxercise. I do know how important conditioning and endurance are, but I also would like a school that has a strong focus on technique. Any suggestions/info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bellmore Kickboxing, very competitive. There are others like the Freeport PAL, I'm also looking for a place to train since moving to Queens. I work nights so morning/afternoon classes are what I need. Gleasons is good if you're already a competitive boxer, right now they're too known

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 10:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can throw a rock in NY without hitting a boxing gym?

I will say that in my experience I received more boxing instruction from MMA than I did in boxing gyms. The way many boxing gyms work is that they really only show you any technique if a trainer takes a particular interest in you. If you don't already look like a killer, don't count on learning how to box.

Places like Bellmore kickboxing and other schools that train competitive MMA fighters but have boxing classes will, in general, show you more technique. If you go to a boxing gym and they don't think you're a safe bet, you'll have a trainer hold focus mitts for you, let you flail aimlessly until you're exhausted, then charge you for a private.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There aren't many boxing gyms in Nassau, there's actually more in suffolk. Also in a dedicated boxing gym you'll have people who are actually competitive in boxing not just showing you boxing techniques. Also I've never had the experience Lampa described in any boxing gym I've been to. I've been to competitive boxing gyms where the coaches are correcting my jab and hooks
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 9/17/2011 11:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 3:28pm

Style: Vale-Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how old are you?

If you are younger the PAL is the way to go!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 6:27pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    Bellmore Kickboxing, very competitive. There are others like the Freeport PAL, I'm also looking for a place to train since moving to Queens. I work nights so morning/afternoon classes are what I need. Gleasons is good if you're already a competitive boxer, right now they're too known
    Thanks for the advice, If you're still looking for a place to train perhaps this place may be good for you? http://www.k2boxing.com/ this is where my kung fu bro has been training boxing and he likes it a lot. I originally didn't want to go there but found out later that the site is actually not up to date and that it's not just a fitness oriented place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    You can throw a rock in NY without hitting a boxing gym?

I will say that in my experience I received more boxing instruction from MMA than I did in boxing gyms. The way many boxing gyms work is that they really only show you any technique if a trainer takes a particular interest in you. If you don't already look like a killer, don't count on learning how to box.

Places like Bellmore kickboxing and other schools that train competitive MMA fighters but have boxing classes will, in general, show you more technique. If you go to a boxing gym and they don't think you're a safe bet, you'll have a trainer hold focus mitts for you, let you flail aimlessly until you're exhausted, then charge you for a private.
    damn lol, I'd be so pissed if I got charged for a private lesson after just doing pad work and such. But I do understand what you mean, I talked to my older kung fu bro about the place he was going to and about what you said about needing to be serious to get attention and he also agreed that most places need to see your hard work and determination before they really invest any time into you. Now that I think about it i guess that was common sense lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    There aren't many boxing gyms in Nassau, there's actually more in suffolk. Also in a dedicated boxing gym you'll have people who are actually competitive in boxing not just showing you boxing techniques. Also I've never had the experience Lampa described in any boxing gym I've been to. I've been to competitive boxing gyms where the coaches are correcting my jab and hooks
    Oh yea, I def hope that the boxing gyms wouldn't just completely ignore me, that would suck and I'd probably be better off going to an LA fitness and using their bags. I did find a boxing/mma place that I (now) know is good (i posted the link above), and the fact that it's an MMA place also means I can train my other techniques there too without getting in trouble (hopefully lol). And you're right, there were much less boxing gyms in Nassau, the one I'm going to join ended up being in queens.

Quote Originally Posted by rev.jc View Post
    If you are younger the PAL is the way to go!
    I'm 25, so I'm guessing I'm too old for PAL (my assumption, i actually dont know anything about the PAL stuff), but this K2 place seems good for about 100/month and access to boxing and mma training and equipment.

Thanks for the tips/advice/suggestions everyone, they're much appreciated!