Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Danzan Ryu jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ vs. Danzan Ryu jujitsu my personal experance.

A couple years ago I visited our local BJJ dojo in Medford Oregon. The club is Lotus Jujitsu (medfordjujitsu.com) this school is run by Pistol Pete Loncavich a 3rd dan under Joe Moreira. We did rolls and falls and then moved on to some chokes and escapes from chokes that both our styles have in common. For the last half hour or 40 minutes we grappled on the mat. I was paired with one of Coach Loncavish's top students a wonderful young man named David Robles. I could hold him down, but really could do nothing beyond that he made me tap three times in the time I trained with him.
    I like to think things would have been better for me had I been allowed to attack fingers or thumbs that Danzan Ryu allows or been able to punch. Coach Loncavich has visited our dojo and said it was run by old men and that is true. He also said we do most of the techniques BJJ does. We have our grappling arts techniques list called Shime, but we in no way train the way BJJ does we just do not spend that much time on the mat rolling around. We do jujitsu kata over and over. I would love to train at Pistol Petes club they do not spend hour upon hour throwing each other as we do in Danzan Ryu. We spend as much time throwing as they do grappling. As I get older all those landing from throws takes there toll, but I can not afford what Pistol Pete charges it is over four times per month more then Medford Judo. This is my one experience with BJJ.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with Dan Zan Ryu "Senseis" have been less than cordial over the years. While I've had respect for the system I personally think that the majority of instructors I've come across are full of themselves; not that they don't know what their talking about.

I sense this in you, but it is what it is. A Dan Zan Ryu school in this town opened up advertising "Jujitsu the way it's supposed to be taught". They didn't like my little stop over lecture. When I was in a magazine store with a friend of mine he walked on over with a blackbelt magazine. He saw an article that said 'Judo strikes'.

"I didn't know Judo had strikes"

"I replied yes it does. Kicks on the other hand not really".

I then was approached by an older gentleman telling me that Judo did have kicks. I turned toward him and qualified my answer. "I don't remember learning any kicks in Judo."

"They are in the Kata"

At this point I wanted to argue the point "I wouldn't really call those actual Judo kicks", but chose to simply introduce myself.

He stated who he was, 6th dan in Dan Zan Ryu. Then lectured that maybe I should actually learn about Judo before talking about it ignorantly. This was shortly before I joined Bullshido back in 2002. I've had several conversations with practitioners over the years since. You'll forgive me if anybody proclaiming Dan Zan Ryu rubs me the wrong way. It's going to take me awhile to get over the distaste.

Style
    Danzan Ryu jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand 100% how you feel. What Danzan Ryu considers kata and what Kodokan Judo consider valid techniques are two different things. You said you met a 6th Dan the system is considered mastered with nothing left to learn at 4th Dan anything beyond is political. I would also go on record stating most Kodokan, or BJJ black belts would overcome Danzan Ryu black belts on the street or on the mat. There are exceptions the black belts of Pacificjujitsualliance.com of which I am not. They are very few and far between. At one time this style had randori Black belts and they were fighters. No more the AJJF are more Kata posers. I come from a boxing back ground and never had much problems hitting anyone in the AJJF of any rank. I am short and the tallest people give me some problems, but that was true for boxers as well.
    Strikes in Judo all I could find was in Jigoro Kano's book Kodokan Judo chapter 9 Atemi Waza. I still consider myself more of a boxer I am a little to old for the hard head and body shots. At least I go to other dojo's and get humbled that is far more then most Danzan Ryu students or teachers are willing to do. I may very well be full of myself. The people here will help humble me and put me in my place. The Danzan sites pat each other on the back. I am on this site I will get a kicked in the balls. That should say something about me. Maybe I'm just stupid and a glutton for punishment. I do not mean to offend just share as there did not seem a lot written on this site about Danzan ryu.

Style
    ^_^
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to think things would have been better for me had I been allowed to attack fingers or thumbs that Danzan Ryu allows or been able to punch.
    This is your problem right here.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Style
    Danzan Ryu jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo Gene LaBell uses and teaches finger locks I am no where in his league, but I will use them when I can and not be ashamed!

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamabushi7 View Post
    Judo Gene LaBell uses and teaches finger locks I am no where in his league, but I will use them when I can and not be ashamed!
    Those moves should never be dependent on.

Style
    Danzan Ryu jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are right about not depending on thumb or finger locks. And in answering your question on kicks in Danzan Ryu they were not included in Professor Okazaki's teachings they were added by a board of Professors somewhere between the 1960' and 1990. this same board of Professors got Professor Okazaki's son to issue a proclamation naming the board of Professors as a body Sokeship what ever that is. They have removed much good a put in what was not needed that they do badly anyway. That is them AFFF.org

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: since most of this thread got culled, I'll just move along
    Last edited by Permalost; 7/28/2011 4:24pm at .

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Culled for the silly street vs sport argument.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107975

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And in answering your question on kicks in Danzan Ryu they were not included in Professor Okazaki's teachings they were added by a board of Professors somewhere between the 1960' and 1990. this same board of Professors got Professor Okazaki's son to issue a proclamation naming the board of Professors as a body Sokeship what ever that is. They have removed much good a put in what was not needed that they do badly anyway.

Uhh, I dont know what Danzan Ryu you've been watching or learning but There are multiple Kicks in Professor Okazaki's original Curriculum. In the Oku No Kata list alone there are several arts involving kicking. Mae Yama Kage has a kick to the Collarbone (This was in the original Danzan Ryu Film that was shot in 1940s in which Okazaki was in), Komi Iri has a Kick to the Kneecap & Foot stomp on the femoral nerve, There's a Kick to the Spine in Tora Nage & Katate Tomoe is a throw with a Kick. In the Shinin List there is a Kick to the head after Gyaku Te Gaeshi (This was in the Original film as well), Ushiro Nage & Ushiro Nage Dori are throws using a kick (this was in the original film also), Saru Shigarami are multiple kicks (In the film) In The Shinyo & Shingen lists (Advanced Blackbelt lists) there are Multiple kicks as well. Okazaki Studied Karate & Kung-fu (Among other systems) so you know he had to have included kicks in his system. I'm not trying to be a jag off or anything but just stating that Danzan Ryu does have kicks...Lots of em...in the original lists (not the tampered AJJF lists). Judo has kicks as well and they are in the Kime No Kata list. When The founder of Judo Formulated his syllabus, one of the contributors was Gichin Funakoshi who added his Shotokan Karate to the Judo Kata.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last