Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 12:17pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to ask to work some of these into our class next week.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use this one when possible:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 4:52am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One I've been using a lot with much success, is the following. I use 2 variations. First, for when you still are gripping your arms together, the other when your arm is about to pop out.

I would show a video of someone better doing it, but I don't know the names of these escapes.

I like to do a figure-four grip to protect my arm for this escape. So if my opponent is trying to take my right arm, my grip has my right arm grabbing my left bicep, and my left hand cupping behind his left leg to take the downward pressure of his leg off my face. I also keep my right elbow tight to my ribs and my right shoulder shrugged up against my chin for defense. I bring my feet close to my butt and I move like I am trying to do a backwards roll ( the momentum of bringing my knees up to my stomach in a crunching motion. bring them in tight to your body otherwise he might switch to a kneebar attack ). He will normally apply pressure to try bring me back down, which is what I want. As he does this, just before he would block my roll, you reverse direction and sit up, using the hand behind his leg to help push, switch hips and base out on your knees as you sit up. Apply downward pressure and pass to side control.

The other version is almost the same, except here I assume I could not get to the figure four grip, and the grip I have is not going to hold out for very long. The same example of my opponent trying to take my right arm ( his left leg over my face ). I roll back the same way as before, but when I get my right leg close enough to my right hand, I quickly grab the inside of my right thigh, just behind the knee ( keeping knees bent and close to your body ). With this grip secure my left hand goes to the same position before ( without the figure four of course ) , BUT instead of push against it, I push it away from my head and sit up into my opponent's guard, being very careful to square up and keep my base as I do this. If you are not square up he can still take the armbar or triangle from guard so be careful here.

Gokor teaches the second ( and third ) variation better than most could on that "Rolling" series on the Budovideos website.

The best cure though, is prevention. The reason I even have to use these escapes is when my opponent has managed to get above my elbow with his hips to control me. If you try to always pull your arm out early, or at least get your elbow below his hips, then you don't have to work through any technical escape.
    Why did he take your arm in the first place ? Maybe you were flaring your elbow/s out and reaching out with your arm.

Dunno if that helps, but those escapes have worked for me many times on against my seniors.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 11:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Honestly the best armbar defense is awareness and getting your elbow to the mat. As soon as they get close to the armbar I just shrug my shoulder and drive my elbow to the mat. Unless they have total control over me (in which case I'm screwed anyway) that works 90% of the time.
    LOL, that's what I do too. KISS in action
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:44am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    I love using that one, but seasoned rollers will know to keep your thumb held. Since you're asking for a basic straight armbar, they'll have one leg over your face. Toss that leg behind your head and sit up or into them quick to get inside a guard. Better than being in an armbar position.
    If you do this, control one of their legs or be sure to get both arms inside the guard or you may fall victim of a triangle counter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 7:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest thing that improved my hitchhiker escape was making sure to bridge, prior to running around.

My other favourite is getting the RNC grip and get the top leg off my head, slide back and lay on it, roll into guard straight into the bj penn/stacking guard armbar pass. It is even better when you can time it, as the opponent steps his foot over your face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 7:22pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your arm is already straight then the hitch hiker escape is the only option. If you are able to grab your collar with the arm that is being attacked then you might have a chance of defending and escaping. Any technique involving gripping the hands together or grabbing the forearm will do no good against a skilled grappler.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 7:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    If your arm is already straight then the hitch hiker escape is the only option. If you are able to grab your collar with the arm that is being attacked then you might have a chance of defending and escaping. Any technique involved gripping the hands together or grabbing the forearm will do know good against a skilled grappler.
    Amen to that.

I went to a BJJ club last week and it was the first time in 6 months someone has got my back and got in a position to apply Juji on me.

However, I pushed their leg between my legs and did the Juji slip to get out each time.

If they had managed to extend the arm then as Python says hitchiker is the only way out.

And hanging on to your own arm is a bad idea always grip your lapels if you're in the gi.

Next time I go back I'm going to flip the bird as I do the the Juji slip, just to **** them off, lol.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 8:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Honestly the best armbar defense is awareness and getting your elbow to the mat. As soon as they get close to the armbar I just shrug my shoulder and drive my elbow to the mat. Unless they have total control over me (in which case I'm screwed anyway) that works 90% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, that's what I do too. KISS in action
    Preventative maintenance or proactive jiu-jitsu is the best jiu-jitsu.

You can say this a thousand times to a beginner, and most likely they still won't understand it.

I have a very successful armbar defense I've been using for years now. It's a variation of the RNC defense. Since I developed it on my own, there's no reason why I can't post a video of it. I will be putting it up soon.

Keep in mind, it is dependent on you having the presence of mind to keep your arm bent at the elbow when it's initially attacked. Like Team Python and others have said, once the arm starts to be fully straightened, the only option is the hitchhiker.
    Shut the hell up and train.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Preventative maintenance or proactive jiu-jitsu is the best jiu-jitsu.

You can say this a thousand times to a beginner, and most likely they still won't understand it.

I have a very successful armbar defense I've been using for years now. It's a variation of the RNC defense. Since I developed it on my own, there's no reason why I can't post a video of it. I will be putting it up soon.

Keep in mind, it is dependent on you having the presence of mind to keep your arm bent at the elbow when it's initially attacked. Like Team Python and others have said, once the arm starts to be fully straightened, the only option is the hitchhiker.
    If I let myself (or the other guy is so good) that they have my arm solidly, I'm going to tap. Both my elbows and shoulders are so sensitive they hurt like hell with even mild pressure (from being armbarred so much,mostly from teaching students how to do armbars).
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast