224783 Bullies, 3733 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 37
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. AlphaFoxtrot51 is offline
    AlphaFoxtrot51's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,752

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:23pm


     Style: Sambo n3wb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Better Arm-bar defense options

    I'm just curious about gaining a different perspective on defeating the straight arm-bar. The technique I currently use works decently, but feels like it can only work at the last second before the submission is set.

    Currently, the way I get out is turning my thumb down towards the mat, rolling over that shoulder, and then immediately going to side control.

    Thoughts?
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

    Christmas Tag Wishlist:


  2. danniboi07 is offline
    danniboi07's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    626, California
    Posts
    1,250

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:41pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love using that one, but seasoned rollers will know to keep your thumb held. Since you're asking for a basic straight armbar, they'll have one leg over your face. Toss that leg behind your head and sit up or into them quick to get inside a guard. Better than being in an armbar position.
  3. Res Judicata is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,633

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:41pm


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean juji-gatame? From which position? And are you referring to the hitch-hiker escape?

  4. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:44pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you're likely to get a lot of BJJ perspectives I'll give you a Judo angle as its probably a little closer to Sambo.

    One I use if they get to the position with one arm in, but haven't straightened it.



    Is to try and minimise the space that the inserted arm has. The more space tori can create the less defensive capability you will have. By flattening my arm as close to my chest as possible.

    I grip my own lapel.



    Then using my free hand grip uke's leg nearest to my hip.



    I prefer to grip the ankle, but use whatever you can. Gripping the gi trousers is less effective than gripping the leg itself.

    Push their leg in between your own legs



    And lock it up.



    The next stage requires timing and a little bravery.

    As uke attempts to lean back and apply the armbar shrimp into them and slip your elbow out below the line of their crotch



    Continue to shrimp and draw your elbow down to the mat and into your body.



    Release their leg that you had trapped with your legs and with the hand now on top of their leg. Use that to continue shrimping in, switch your hips and stack them to pass to a hold down/ side control.

    If you're feeling extra awesome or confident at this point,



    As your elbow just dips below their crotch line and thus out of danger flip them the middle finger as you pull your arm fully clear.
  5. Killbot is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Happy Place
    Posts
    156

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:46pm


     Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what we call a hitchhiker.

    Try this.
    For no-gi, just keep your hands clasped.
  6. Res Judicata is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,633

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:53pm


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    As you're likely to get a lot of BJJ perspectives I'll give you a Judo angle as its probably a little closer to Sambo.

    One I use if they get to the position with one arm in, but haven't straightened it.



    Is to try and minimise the space that the inserted arm has. The more space tori can create the less defensive capability you will have. By flattening my arm as close to my chest as possible.

    I grip my own lapel.



    Then using my free hand grip uke's leg nearest to my hip.



    I prefer to grip the ankle, but use whatever you can. Gripping the gi trousers is less effective than gripping the leg itself.

    Push their leg in between your own legs



    And lock it up.



    The next stage requires timing and a little bravery.

    As uke attempts to lean back and apply the armbar shrimp into them and slip your elbow out below the line of their crotch



    Continue to shrimp and draw your elbow down to the mat and into your body.



    Release their leg that you had trapped with your legs and with the hand now on top of their leg. Use that to continue shrimping in, switch your hips and stack them to pass to a hold down/ side control.

    If you're feeling extra awesome or confident at this point,



    As your elbow just dips below their crotch line and thus out of danger flip them the middle finger as you pull your arm fully clear.
    That's part of why we're taught to scoop the far arm and cross the feet behind it. (I can hear the BJJ boos from here ...)
  7. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:59pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly the best armbar defense is awareness and getting your elbow to the mat. As soon as they get close to the armbar I just shrug my shoulder and drive my elbow to the mat. Unless they have total control over me (in which case I'm screwed anyway) that works 90% of the time.
  8. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,532

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 2:05pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    That's what we call a hitchhiker.

    Try this.
    For no-gi, just keep your hands clasped.
    ours is similar but without the leg and we do a figure four to defend the arm bar. We do wind up in full guard though
  9. Res Judicata is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,633

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 2:07pm


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Honestly the best armbar defense is awareness and getting your elbow to the mat. As soon as they get close to the armbar I just shrug my shoulder and drive my elbow to the mat. Unless they have total control over me (in which case I'm screwed anyway) that works 90% of the time.
    That's good advice. And, of course, best defense is no be there. You screwed up a while ago if you're flattened out in that position.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 9/15/2011 2:16pm at .
  10. Killbot is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Happy Place
    Posts
    156

    Posted On:
    9/15/2011 2:56pm


     Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    ours is similar but without the leg and we do a figure four to defend the arm bar. We do wind up in full guard though
    Yeh, this is as close to what I learned as I could find. We generally end up in a scramble, or if you do it right, you can come out into side control if you swicth your legs out towards the end.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.