Posted On:
    9/15/2011 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nutrition question for leaning out?

Hello!

I've got a question regarding nutrition. I currently weigh 141 lbs, around 16-17% bodyfat, and my goal is 128-133 lbs, with 10-12% bodyfat (female, over 20 y.o.). I'm doing 1hr of Muay Thai 3 times per week, and mma conditioning/strength workouts 3 times per week on rest days. What would be a good way for me to eat to reach my goal? Any pre/post workout meals? Basically, I need to lose fat, gain muscle, get lean and cut. I'm doing best on low-carb diet.

As for supplements, I take l-carnitine before muay thai, some protein powder along with a post-workout meal (1/2-1/3 scoop), and will buy bcaa for pre and post workout on rest days. Good plan?

Thanks!
    Last edited by AnderJoy; 9/15/2011 11:44am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:17pm

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might consider the Paleolithic diet. I think if you gave it 30 days you'd be convinced.

Personally I'm not into the protein powder thing. Aside from harmful metals and other contaminants being common, I see no reason to use protein powder instead of just eating properly. Our bodies are designed to eat food. We need a certain amount of fat when we eat in order to digest protein. Someone more knowledgeable than I will probably comment on this.

I have been advised to not eat for 2-3 hours before I go to BJJ class, and I'm a lot more comfortable in class when I heed this advise. I would guess that the same would go for Muay Thai. It is definitely important to eat after your workout. This is when your body is rebuilding the structures that were destroyed during the workout. The closer to the end of the workout you can eat, the better. Again I'm no expert and this is just my take on things.

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 2:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check out this Paleo diet.

As for the post-workout meal, should it be mainly protein or carbs? Or balanced?

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 5:35am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    You might consider the Paleolithic diet. I think if you gave it 30 days you'd be convinced.
    I second this.

Been doing paleo for a couple for months now (not too strictly either, I still eat some dairy and drink plenty of coffee) and have leaned up considerably.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 11:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, congratulations on having those numbers in the first place. My first thought was "does she really need to go any lower?" I thought I was doing good at 20% (down from about 28% since January 2011 - I'm 5'3 and about 112 lbs now) but I wish I could be at 16 or 17%!
    Anyway, I would just say be careful not to eat too many protein bars or "nutrition bars" due to the amounts of sugar (which always sabotage my efforts to slim down). I think what No.1_Son said was right about protein powders. Although I put a scoop in for my morning smoothie, I agree that eating real food and lean protein is the best and don't use powders more than once a day. Also, I make sure to eat lots of vegetables, "good fats," like olive oil, flax seed oil or avocado and carbs like quinoa which is high in protein for a grain. I stay away from processed foods, junk food, fast food, caffeine, most dairy and sugar. It's helped me a lot but I wouldn't be surprised if you already knew a lot of this being at 16-17%.