Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 2:53am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    That's because all the girls moved to the city. ;-)
    Ha! Funny coz its true...

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 6:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bonjasky started when he was like 18.

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 2:11pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, those kids were tiny.

Yeah, they start wicked young here. Met a few 8 year old pros in my first gym here with something like 2-20 fights each. It's how they support themselves and their families. Kids fight all the time. I mean, I go to see a fight and maybe 20% are actually done by fighters older than 20, and those are just the ones who survived. My trainer started training at 7, had his first fight at 8, was a Southern Champion from ages 14-18 when he fought in Bangkok and in Lumpinee itself accumulating something like 170-200+ fights and he's 32.

Sure a lot of the kids get hurt, and it's tough watching little 13 year olds in sweat suits trying to "make weight". But the fighting they do is phenomenal. I mean, sure some fights are boring and sloppy just like proboxers of ages 20-40 in the US, but they can also be real machines.

In Thailand safety isn't always as big an issue as it should be. The kiddie fights are beyond illegal in the US (not to mention the gambling) and I've seen some kids younger than the ones I teach at school go down and get back up to horrific looking ****. Plus, however dumb it may sound I and all the people at the gym train, spar, whatever with little else but shorts and gloves. When I was sparring I didn't even have a mouth guard. When asked where I could buy one I was given strange looks. It might not be smart, but whatever, it's how it's done and I'm just glad to be training.

And for the Thai's it's not about being a badass as an adult, it's about supporting your family. The money my trainer got for getting bashed in and bashing in others at a more tender age bought his mom's house, his brother's farm, his sister's farm, and will pay for his other sister's college degree (first in the family).

And while some may disagree, the kids who make it through and come out swinging as adults have tremendous skill, knowledge, experience and while some may end their lives early with brain damage or worse and most might be a little slow after it all it's not always the case (especially if you tend to win).

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the "little fighters" even if it's something as a practice I don't always agree with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 2:39pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit i'm conflicted about this, the westerner and father in me is horrified, but having travelled in Asia and seen some of the poverty and willingness of young kids to do anything to help their family and particularly younger siblings out of whatever hell they are in I have to accept **** like this happens,

P

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wado-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should start serious training when your hormones lengthens your bones close to maximum. That way your brain knows what structure it is working with. For most its around -+15

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wado-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But yea when you throw money into the mix....and poverty.......theres really no age limit.

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first month training I watched a young boy with not an oz of fat try his damnest to cut over 10 kilos in 2 weeks. He didn't make it and lost out on a chance to fight in Lumpinee (would have been the first from the gym). He is 14.

Another 14 year old at the gym I train in now is also cutting 8+ kilos over the next few weeks for a Southern Championship and walks around town with a sweat suit nearly killing himself.

Both are tremendous fighters who would eat me and most anyone else alive. I am sure they are not doing their bodies any favors by carrying on as such and even my trainer thought the 1st kid was stupid for trying, but hey Bangkok fights are big money and who was he to pass a chance like that up?

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just think about the growth plates in your wrists, and how they keep growing until you're well past puberty.

Punching and fucking up your wrists prior to puberty can leave you permanently maimed.

Kids who break their wrists or forearms need to have them properly realigned or else they can get fucked up for life because of how the bones in the arms and hands grow over their youth.

So yeah...putting 3-4 year olds in the ring and getting them injured is more likely to make them future cripples relying on others than great fighters able to provide for their families.

And to be honest, if fighting is the best way you can provide for your family, you might need to learn a new skill.

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those kids were fine, they were essentially horsing around by local standards.

The kids are very well taken care of as far as can be for young boxers. Remember, it's an investment for the trainer too and keeping his fighters however young or old healthy is a huge importance.

Also, most pros seem to start around 7, maybe 8. I've seen what look like 6 year olds in the ring but I can never be sure.

And the most common problems is brain damage. Punch-drunk and stupid boxers are sadly common and few make it to the end of a longer career with their wits intact.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should start serious training when your hormones lengthens your bones close to maximum. That way your brain knows what structure it is working with. For most its around -+15
    If most parents listened to you their children would suck.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast