Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

it hurts to squat

i had my acl stuck back together about 8 months ago. according to the physio I'm all better and free to go back to playing sports and doing whatever.

but when i squat I get a strong ache in my knee hours after the fact. my physio believes that the kind of squat i was doing (deep, knees over toes) is bad for you knee and i should never squat. if i really insist on squatting her recommended the style where you stick your butt way back and keep your shins vertical. better suggestion was to do leg press instead.

it's just not the same and i really want to be able to do proper squats again. it also means i probably be able to do bjj or judo since you're often in positions with your knee fully flexed.

i'm just hoping someone else has been through this and has some answer other than your knee is fucked htfu and find something else to do

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 1:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that Mr. Mark Rippetoe (peace be upon him) has squatted 315 for two reps, and he has no ACL. So on that basis alone, I believe its possible if you approach the exercise with good form and progressively. Start with Hindu Squats perhaps, and work up to reps and weighted ones? Perhaps Front squats or Zerchers would be good variations to try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 2:05pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To never squat is like trying to live your life without ever bending your knees. You squat everytime you get off the floor or stand up from any seated position.

Are you lifting heavy and getting the pain or does it also come with doing bodyweight squats? If you are wanting to make sure your technique is correct, go find someone who knows and have them help you out. It is the better option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my house we call taking a dump squatting...
    But seriously you just have to build it back up more.
    Face the pain, and man up,

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    i had my acl stuck back together about 8 months ago. according to the physio I'm all better and free to go back to playing sports and doing whatever.

but when i squat I get a strong ache in my knee hours after the fact. my physio believes that the kind of squat i was doing (deep, knees over toes) is bad for you knee and i should never squat. if i really insist on squatting her recommended the style where you stick your butt way back and keep your shins vertical. better suggestion was to do leg press instead.

it's just not the same and i really want to be able to do proper squats again. it also means i probably be able to do bjj or judo since you're often in positions with your knee fully flexed.

i'm just hoping someone else has been through this and has some answer other than your knee is fucked htfu and find something else to do

Take your time and make sure you're warmed up before you workout.
    Massage, electro-stim, dit da jow etc. can all be helpful.
    If you're hurting for hours you are probably doing too much too soon.
    Quantify what you can do without causing that much pain then work your way up from there, slowly.
    Good luck, be patient and don't listen to that douche^.

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 5:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TerenceN View Post
    I believe that Mr. Mark Rippetoe (peace be upon him) has squatted 315 for two reps, and he has no ACL.
    I could squat fine without an acl too. but now i have one and its causing problems

So on that basis alone, I believe its possible if you approach the exercise with good form and progressively. Start with Hindu Squats perhaps, and work up to reps and weighted ones?
    I started with an empty bar and increased it by 10 pounds a session. cant go much slower than that

Perhaps Front squats or Zerchers would be good variations to try.
    how would that help? with back squats you can choose how much to bend at the waist and knees. but with front squats your body stays upright or you drop it. all the movement is at the knee there

Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    To never squat is like trying to live your life without ever bending your knees. You squat everytime you get off the floor or stand up from any seated position.
    ok i think he meant never squat past 90 with weights

Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Are you lifting heavy and getting the pain or does it also come with doing bodyweight squats? If you are wanting to make sure your technique is correct, go find someone who knows and have them help you out. It is the better option.
    just started in the last couple sessions when i had my bodyweight on the bar.
    Last edited by Lindz; 9/14/2011 5:17pm at .

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 6:40pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post

Did they use a part of your hamstring for the recon? They did for mine, and it took about two years for my recon knee/leg to feel the same as the other. If I stay away from weights for too long (like now when I haven't done a squat in a few months) I can feel the knee begin to destabilise a little. If you do a slow one-legged squat as a warm-up it ,might help, otherwise it's just a matter of time for the muscles to recover.

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 9:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes they took a bit of hammy. last time i tried to do heavy curls i could feel exactly where they took it from. they said 6 months should be back to normal. but since this guy is against deep squats that's not part of his definition of normal.

didn't feel the knee destabilise but i'll have a go with single leg squats.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have knee problems as well. I ended up having to stop squats with weight and now can only do body squats. So I do hindu squats for reps. But I can tell you that as long as I keep doing them, I don't have knee pain. If I stop for about a month, my knee pain comes back.

The reason for the hindu squats is that the heels come off the ground in the low position which takes stress off the knees. I wouldn't do them with weights because you would probably have balance issues.

Just my $0.02
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm doing squats for strength training so I don't see the point in doing them with light weight. Unless it can lead to bigger weights
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast