Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 2:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm a noob who needs a decent set routine cycle.

Title says it all, I am really bad about workout routines, I'm not disciplined in following a routine at all and feel i may be being extremely counter productive in what I've been doing when I go to the gym.

I am an even 200 5'11 with around 12 pounds of excess fat that will never go away unless I give up the whiskey and beer, (if I'm at a party I have a 6 pack and a fifth, and no I'm not going to share)

Usually go to the gym at least 5 times a week currently working on a lot of core strength and endurance, on the tread mill I can easily keep a heart rate of 180-200 for a solid hour favorite pace right now is 7.5 miles an hour on a level 8 incline. I think that's part of the issue because I'd rather do a lot of cardio and like 500 push ups than lift heavy.

Im not trying to get any heavier, I'm not sure if I really want to go into fighting at all but have been toying with the idea and with my time restraints I'm thinking it would be best for me to get into a top physical state before possibly spending oodles of cash on a MMA gym that I might not see though, due to times restraints/ not being in proper shape.

Im looking for a strength and conditioning routine, that is detailed specific and easy to follow. I'm all ears for any suggestions/tips, I am not extremely savvy in all the MMA training acronyms and overuse of them will most likely confuse me.

I have looked at....
    http://ericwongmma.com/
    it looks too sale focused to me and if anyone knows about this program and can give it a review or can recommend another one it would be nice.

Thank you for reading I look forward to your replys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 4:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what are your 6 week-12 week goals, up to 6 months goals, and by next year?

Starting Strength is an easy-to-follow linear progression routine that'll make you strong.

Ross Training has good recommendations for fighting.

The shake weight, as it turns out, doesn't even help for 'batin. so take my bitterly-earned experience as advice: you prolly don't need it. *hangs head*

If you'd like to get into MA, how about Judo - cheap, from practice, you'll get monster fit, etc.

How about a 2 day split with two days using Ross Fitness, if you'd like that combo? (YMMV)

good luck!

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by toad44 View Post
    what are your 6 week-12 week goals, up to 6 months goals, and by next year?

Starting Strength is an easy-to-follow linear progression routine that'll make you strong.

Ross Training has good recommendations for fighting.

The shake weight, as it turns out, doesn't even help for 'batin. so take my bitterly-earned experience as advice: you prolly don't need it. *hangs head*

If you'd like to get into MA, how about Judo - cheap, from practice, you'll get monster fit, etc.

How about a 2 day split with two days using Ross Fitness, if you'd like that combo? (YMMV)

good luck!
    That's the issue, I have no set goals, I like working out, I like sparring, I like wrestling, would like to get into judo. I dont really want to get any bigger than I currently am, maybe 10 pounds I could do if I drop my excess fat. I really want to increase my strength, flexibility and agility, without any significant weight gain. No bulk muscle just lean muscle.

I will check out those programs thank you for the reply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 4:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "bulk muscle" is really hard to accomplish, particularly if you're lifting with proper range of motion. And completely understand about the weight gain. that's more of a function of eating, so you're probably good there.

yeah - Ross Training or "Starting Strength" may be good starting points!

cheers