My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    It was, but its still kind of dickish to nail him just he was getting up.
    No, it wasn't, the guy should have protected himself. He left an opening and tori took it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 12:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Well it really depends on what kind of randori you're doing, day to day randori should be 60%.

If you're training for contest, or something specific you can get as rough as you like.

As hedge trains on mats laid down in the middle of a sports hall he probably hasn't come across the wall issues.

If you train somewhere where the mat runs up to the wall its pretty common to throw people into it if you're being competitive or noobs aren't aware of their surroundings.

I've never straight up charged someone off the mat and into a wall like that, but I've thrown people into them and been thrown into them.

As for the O soto, well it is an important skill to be able to knock someone down and then throw them if they're one on knee. He didn't do that though, he threw him then dragged him to his knees and threw him again, which could be a dick move, depends on the randori context.
    Not a dick move in the context of the video presented,but a dick move in 99% of other judo randori context.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 12:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I like to practice wall ramming especially in MMA. I can't tell you how many times during MMA practice at Omega's place in the cage I have successfully used the wall ramming technique to set up like WWF style fantastical Seoi Nage, Harai goshi, Uchi mata and O goshi since most dudes are used to being pressured against the cage, they push forward A LOT which leads me to just go full out 100% Kodokan Blood Judo on them.

But yeah, you get put into the wall if you are stupid and don't have good footwork. It actually teaches you to use your space effectively.

When I reach my fruit it'll be tastier, juicier and much more delicious.
    Eventually you learn to turn and throw them into the wall, at which point the "being driven into the wall" action tends to die down.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 12:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Atemi waza is illegal in randori and shiai, as we all know. I would never, ever drive my fist up from under uke's chin while doing osoto gari. Never.
    I never do it in Kouchi Gari either. It doesn't work very well.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Not a dick move in the context of the video presented,but a dick move in 99% of other judo randori context.
    Also all that sempai kohai stuff, seems to me to mean if you're a Tadahiro Nomura, you can do what the **** you want in a randori and its never a dickmove.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 4:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also all that sempai kohai stuff, seems to me to mean if you're a Tadahiro Nomura, you can do what the **** you want in a randori and its never a dickmove.
    I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of sempai-kohai "culture" in Judo. I'd say if you are training at a hard core dojo in Japan, then it's par for the course.

I got thrown like that by my Japanese sensei. We had a padded wall at the university dojo, and it wasn't uncommon to get slammed into it. Part of the purpose is so that you learn awareness of where you are, and how to maneuver out of the situation. I was taught to never turn my back (unless throwing) in randori or shiai (when going back to the line, even if matt'e called), and I got only one verbal warning. Same thing for getting up off of your knees. I got to the point where I was always trying to break free of the grip as I was going down, turn to pull guard (not called that back then), or jump up and make an attack as I was getting up.

That's stuff that is probably pretty common in Japan, in university dojo at least, but I've never been so I can't say for sure.

It's an other world, one in which few people will (or would want to) be involved in.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 5:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of sempai-kohai "culture" in Judo. I'd say if you are training at a hard core dojo in Japan, then it's par for the course.

I got thrown like that by my Japanese sensei. We had a padded wall at the university dojo, and it wasn't uncommon to get slammed into it. Part of the purpose is so that you learn awareness of where you are, and how to maneuver out of the situation. I was taught to never turn my back (unless throwing) in randori or shiai (when going back to the line, even if matt'e called), and I got only one verbal warning. Same thing for getting up off of your knees. I got to the point where I was always trying to break free of the grip as I was going down, turn to pull guard (not called that back then), or jump up and make an attack as I was getting up.

That's stuff that is probably pretty common in Japan, in university dojo at least, but I've never been so I can't say for sure.

It's an other world, one in which few people will (or would want to) be involved in.
    Me neither, was merely commenting on the fact that tori, Nomura, can probably do what he likes to uke, random player, because he's Nomura.

My coach never smashed me against a wall, he certainly threw me hard, I got straight back up and charged him only got get smashed over with Tai otoshi/Uchi mata. I remember one incident where I got smacked, bounced back up, he had his back turned jto me, doing the old circle undo belt and then rejoin, and I grabbed him, turned him round only to get immediately walloped over with Tai otoshi for my troubles.

I've actually been strangled more times on all fours than thrown, usually knocked down by a Sasae or Ko uchi only to get my gi whipped across my neck and a strangle, accompanied by a smirk, applied.

I think Jap universities are another world, my coach was beating a Jap at Tokai and Yamashita himself called this Jap over, beat him with a stick whilst giving him a bollocking and then sent him back out to the mat. My coach let the guy get a few throws in whilst Yamashita was watching, just because he felt sorry for the guy.

And we think of Yamashita as this nice, kind, affable, gentle giant. Imagine what the likes of a Yoshida or Shinohara would do...

Like you say, not a world I could survive in and not one I would like to be in. Wouldn't mind the skill, just if I could skip the hardship... lol.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 2:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Now you're just being an idiot.
    No he isn't. 50/50 is a staple of Ryan's Game and uses it incredibility successfully. What is your issue with 50/50 guard? I find it a great sweeping position and solid foot locking position.

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 7:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me neither, was merely commenting on the fact that tori, Nomura, can probably do what he likes to uke, random player, because he's Nomura.

My coach never smashed me against a wall, he certainly threw me hard, I got straight back up and charged him only got get smashed over with Tai otoshi/Uchi mata. I remember one incident where I got smacked, bounced back up, he had his back turned jto me, doing the old circle undo belt and then rejoin, and I grabbed him, turned him round only to get immediately walloped over with Tai otoshi for my troubles.

I've actually been strangled more times on all fours than thrown, usually knocked down by a Sasae or Ko uchi only to get my gi whipped across my neck and a strangle, accompanied by a smirk, applied.

I think Jap universities are another world, my coach was beating a Jap at Tokai and Yamashita himself called this Jap over, beat him with a stick whilst giving him a bollocking and then sent him back out to the mat. My coach let the guy get a few throws in whilst Yamashita was watching, just because he felt sorry for the guy.

And we think of Yamashita as this nice, kind, affable, gentle giant. Imagine what the likes of a Yoshida or Shinohara would do...

Like you say, not a world I could survive in and not one I would like to be in. Wouldn't mind the skill, just if I could skip the hardship... lol.
    Well, what we have now is the kinder, gentler Yamashita, he of the "Judo Rennaissance" movement.

Shinohara is scary, his supraorbital ridges make me think HGH everytime I see him.

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 7:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shinohara is scary, his supraorbital ridges make me think HGH everytime I see him.
    Lol, I think Cro Magnon man, but I guess HGH could also fit.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456