Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jet Li Tai Chi?

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...as-soft-power/

Chinese leaders aren’t the only ones frustrated with the nation’s lack of “soft power” influence–Jet Li is, too, and he wants to do something about it.

The Chinese martial artist-turned-movie star is starting a taichi school with Alibaba Group Chairman Jack Ma, which he hopes will break stereotypes of taichi as an art practiced only by old people in parks. Mr. Li said he wants it to one day be as cool to practice taichi as it is watch American movies, watch Japanese animation or study South Korea’s taekwondo.
    “China is an economic powerhouse,” Mr. Li said at Alibaba Group’s annual summit for small to medium-sized business owners in Hangzhou. But the world’s most populous country has little cultural influence compared to the U.S., South Korea and Japan, he said.
    The actor’s new venture could indeed give a boost to China’s efforts to export its culture, which have involved investments in the billions of dollars but have been criticized as unimaginative. Among Beijing’s recent soft-power plays: an international network of state-sponsored language institutes, a 17-minute long promotional film panned by Chinese Internet users as blatantly propagandistic and a giant advertisement in Times Square showing photos of wealthy and successful Chinese people who most Americans don’t recognize.
    Mr. Li, who has starred in major movies on both sides of the Pacific including the 2002 Zhang Yimou epic “Hero,” lamented that Hollywood and other cultural industries make up a significant portion of GDP in the U.S. but represent only a fraction of China’s economy. “Italian coffee is better than Starbucks,” but consumers around the world recognize Starbucks more than Italian coffee “because it’s a cultural experience,” he said.

He did not disclose financial details of his partnership with Mr. Ma, but said the company will be called Taichi Zen International Culture Company.

For China not to have a contribution to the rest of the world would be a “pity,” he said. “I feel shame before my ancestors,” he added, saying he wants kids to be proud of their “national culture.”
    -Loretta Chao

I didn't know Jet Li was a qualified Tai Chi instructor. In fact, I was under the impression actual Tai Chi was still relatively obscure and Jet Li was all about Wushu. Any thoughts?

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    [I was under the impression actual Tai Chi was still relatively obscure
    Not sure what you mean by that.

Sounds like Jet Li is trying to stay in the lime light. Probably going the way of Hatsumi.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By "actual" I mean the Taijiquan with face punches that went out of style (in the early 20th century?) and was subsequently supplanted by the Tai Chi with pretty pajamas and only forms.

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ach.... that crap...
    Even the Chinese Govt. is trolling their own MA.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 12:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...as-soft-power/

I didn't know Jet Li was a qualified Tai Chi instructor. In fact, I was under the impression actual Tai Chi was still relatively obscure and Jet Li was all about Wushu. Any thoughts?
    You mean Jet Li the certified Wushu Master? Maybe he went and learned actual fighting Tai Chi. I doubt it very strongly.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found proof Jet Li is a Tai Chi Master.

At least in the movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108281/

Jet Li plays Junbao, a child that grows up as a monk in a Shaolin temple along with his friend Tianbao. During a friendly competition, they are both expelled during a vicious fight when another competitor cheated by using a weapon. They wander China and during a performance, Junbao and Tianbao go their separate ways, Tianbao joining the military, and Junbao joining the rebels opposing the government. Tianbao, hungry for power and wealth, sets-up and betrays his lifelong friend, Junbao, in an ambush to attain the rank of general. Junbao, stricken with grief and disbelief, turns to Tai Chi to help. The climactic finale pits Tianbao against Junbao in a martial arts battle that rages throughout a military encampment while an army of thousands look on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://jetli.com/jet/index.php?s=bod...huography&l=en

And in addition, Jet also studied the following styles (some in more depth than others).

• taiji quan (the 5 main styles)
    • xing yi quan
    • bagua zhang...

The plot thickens...

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 2:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it really doesn't. If it was in the first list maybe, but that list basically implies he learned competition forms.

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met someone last week at my local push-hands club who had an okay Chen form and liked to play. He studies at Wushu West here in Berkeley, and his teacher was on Jet Li's wushu team back in the day. So perhaps Li does have some real tai chi. It's not a big deal if he doesn't though; he can just hire people who do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow, I seriously doubt Jet Li wants to promote the full contact TJQ; he's built his career on Wushu form competitions and movie roles, not to mention being a vocal advocate of everything but the competitive aspect of MA. There is no mention of competitive TJQ in the article. Given that this is a Jet Li-branded big business move, how can one not but conclude that this is about Jet Li and his vision of what TJQ should be?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast