Activity Champion

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yottabit View Post
    I come to an understanding that you guys use live rattan, how do they compare (in pain wise) to burnt sticks? Do they break easily especially when doing subs with them?
    By burned sticks do you mean the de-barked burned rattan sticks you see on generic martial arts websites? Well, the sticks that a lot of the Dog Brothers use (from Kombat Instruments) are burned at the nodes but still have their outer layer on, so both are technically burned rattan but one has the bark and one doesn't (and the Kombat Instruments ones aren't as extensively burned as a lot of the fancy sticks on the market).

The outer layer makes them heavier and more robust, but on Sunday I used a de-barked burned rattan stick and didn't have any damage issues (it does have some tape wrapped around part of it where it started to fray from previous training).

Rattan doesn't break easily, and I only saw one broken stick on Sunday (and I don't think it was from a sub). It's the blocked full-power swings that are more likely to break sticks. The only time I've ever broken a stick with a sub was when I was showing some stick locks using a gentlemanly cane.

I'd say the more important factors about how break-resistant a stick is would be the diameter of the stick itself, and at the gathering I noticed most people use a pretty stout stick for fighting, at least compared to some of mine.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 2:52pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, the diameter is really important for break-resistance. Also, light sticks just don't have much mass. This means that when you hit someone, it just doesn't do much damage other than giving welts. It also means that if you try to block a much heavier weapon, you can't. The heavier weapon will penetrate, and you'll still get clipped with some residual force if you're in range.

If the skin is stripped off of rattan, they break much faster. They'll be rattan whips after one session if you hit with any kind of power. I personally have had much better results with live/unburned rattan. Whenever I've gotten skin-on burned ones, they are much more likely to split due to the brittleness of the skin that the firing seems to cause.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kara-Ho Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been awhile since I have been on here...Did not realize Poi Dog and others were members in here. That was my first Gathering (Cherry) and it was one of the greatest days of my entire life.

I had (and still have-lol) almost ZERO FMA training, just an Arnis seminar 15 years ago, but I decided to get off the couch and take part in what I have been reading about for 20 years. Very glad I did.

I bought a fencing mask, a pair of "Crafty Dog" (31", 1 1/4 sticks) and started just beating the hell out of some motorcycle tires in the garage. I had one knife fight and two stick fights, I got the crap kicked out of me but I learned more in 1 day with these warriors than in 20 years at the dojo.

I was supposed to step out with Poi Dog but it did not happen, or else I am sure I would have even more injuries than I have now- LOL

Permalost- I live in San Diego and want to find a training group, can you recommend anything/anyone?

Sincerily,
    James (Gibby)

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Rattan doesn't break easily, and I only saw one broken stick on Sunday (and I don't think it was from a sub).
    The only broken stick I saw was by that BEAST Pete, not sure of the cause.

gibby

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 2:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianhsuhe View Post
    Permalost- I live in San Diego and want to find a training group, can you recommend anything/anyone?
    There seems to be a lot of FMA training going on in San Diego, but honestly I don't know a whole lot about all of them. I just got into FMA specifically a little over a year ago. I've been training with the Babaos, who are quite legitimate in FMA.

Before the gathering, I was getting together with a few training partners (eskrima and kung fu) to spar in the park to prepare. We might end up setting something up on the weekends (we used to go to Balboa Park). I'll let you know if we do.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 2:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guro Crafty mentioned the "Babaos" when I posted looking for a S.D. training group. I have not been over there yet...

I am looking for a casual training group (maybe just Saturday's like the NOHO clan does) as I do not have the time to dedicate to an entirely new art. So far I have found one guy who trained with Burton Richardson (Lucky Dog) who might want to get together- would you be interested in working out on a casual basis?

Thanks!
    gibby

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guro Crafty mentioned the "Babaos" when I posted looking for a S.D. training group. I have not been over there yet...
    I'm mostly a student of grandmaster Narrie Babao, but also do some training with his son Narrison. They teach Doce Pares eskrima, eskrido, and pangamot, as well as other things. Narrie's really old school; he's got lots of old pics with Dan Inosanto, Chuck Norris, etc. On the other hand, his classes might not be for you if you're more interested in Dog Brothers type stuff. It's more standard 'dojo-ish' type stuff than full contact minimal gear sparring. He teaches an art. I've been training out of his garage, but Narrison also teaches at the Black Belt Academy near Convoy Street in Kearney Mesa.

I am looking for a casual training group (maybe just Saturday's like the NOHO clan does) as I do not have the time to dedicate to an entirely new art. So far I have found one guy who trained with Burton Richardson (Lucky Dog) who might want to get together- would you be interested in working out on a casual basis?
    Yeah, that'd be cool. Right now, I'm kinda busy with a new relationship, and Narrison has started training WEKAF style for the Doce Pares world championships next June and I'm trying to make it to those training sessions, but if it was a time I could make it, I'd be down.
    Last edited by Permalost; 9/23/2011 2:41pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Your first Group1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 2:30pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gonna eventually stop having babies , train up and make it out to one of these.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 12:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    I'm gonna eventually stop having babies , train up and make it out to one of these.
    I cannot say enough about this group and the "Gathering". It literally changed me as a martial artist and I wish I would have done this back in the 90's.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 9:56am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I would have done this back in the 90's.
    I train at an academy that teaches many styles of martial arts and since I got back into training (pretty severe back injury years ago sidelined me) and every time I'm introduced to a new art I find myself repeating this mantra.

Why didn't I do this sooner?

I'm in my mid-30's now. I wasted a lot of time training in demonstration arts years ago and was only recently introduced to live training. I actually find myself watching these Dog Brothers videos and yearning to jump in and take some hits. It's freakin' exhilarating! There's honestly nothing on earth like it but I'm at that age now where I'm right on the edge where injuries resulting from this sort of abuse is likely to be permanent. One of these days I'll make it out to one of these things and throw down with you guys before I'm officially too old.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast