Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 1:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never get around to watch boxing, what the hell was with that ending to Mayweather/Ortiz?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 4:20am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCesar View Post
    I never get around to watch boxing, what the hell was with that ending to Mayweather/Ortiz?
    Ortiz cornered Mayweather and was unleashing a good set of close punches then he decided to lung forward with a blatant headbutt while his arms were either side of mayweather. The ref stopped the fight and Ortiz went to apologise to Mayweather by hugging him but may weather did not return the gesture and was still pissed.

The ref then informed the judges of the headbutt and brought Mayweather and Ortiz to face each other in the centre and restart. Oritz still appeared to be trying to apologise, Mayweather touvched gloves and made it look like he was going in for a hug which meant ortiz kept his guard down then Mayweather hit him with a left hook and a right cross knocking oritz down for a 10 count.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 4:54am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did the ref restart?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 5:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the video.

Don't know how long it will be available, but to me it seems like Mayweather takes the time to check that ref isn't looking and then proceeds to sucker punch Ortiz. Ref looks back, sees guy down and starts the count.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 5:38am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, but did the ref restart at some point?

Cause if not, it should be a DQ loss for Mayweather.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 9:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha - Joe Cortez...the man who played such a favourable part for Mayweather against Hatton...and so it continued here...

The headbutt was pure Fireman Jim Flynn (against Jack Johnson, no less...) to the credit of Ortiz, he tried to make amends, hands up, peck on cheek etc. Mayweather angry? Yes and he exacted his own revenge. OK, there's an argument here in his favour (Dempsey v Sharkey) BUT Cortez failed his own responsibility as a Referee here. IF he is re-starting the fight AND motioning the Timekeeper to re-start the clock, he's is supposed to be between both fighters with his hands apart - across their Chests - to signal to them not to fight until he steps back.

He appears instead to have stepped out and by his actioned signalled that the bout could re-start BUT he was looking outside the Ring at the Judge AND the Timekeeper. At that moment, Mayweather issued a short Left Punch to the face of Ortiz, who was appeared confused and looked to Cortez to check his response - the implication being that Ortiz was unclear that Cortez and signalled them to "FIGHT!"...and then the Right punch landed and it was game over. Cortez then took up the count.

Well he could hardly DQ Mayweather.

He might not have been paid.

"Cos it was a Mayweather promotion....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 10:05am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to say this..but if Ortiz landed a blatant headbutt and got KO'd because PBF was exacting a bit of revenge, he may have deserved it.
    I'm reserving judgment until I see it. I didn't go out for this one.

But the bottom line : PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES .
    Last edited by OZZ; 9/18/2011 10:17am at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 12:35pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad people on this forum understand Ortiz got what he deserved.

Yeah, Cortez re-started the fight, but while PBF was motioning Ortiz for a hug, Cortez was looking at the timekeeper. Pretty much, PBF saw a sucker and decided to execute.

Did it lack sportsmanship? Yeah. Was it perfectly legal? Very much.

Perhaps this fight will teach fighters to stop bro hugging during a fight. Save the kind words for after the final bell rings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 12:38pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Yep, but did the ref restart at some point?

Cause if not, it should be a DQ loss for Mayweather.
    He did, but didn't tell the timekeeper. That's why Cortez was looking over while PBF and Ortiz were "about" to hug.

So yeah, while Cortez is incompetent, PBF can't be penalized for capitalizing on Cortez' error.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 1:06pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So disappointed in Ortiz throwing away what was looking to be such a good, long fight. He was even showing some promise as to giving challenge to Mayweather too in that round.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast