Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2011 2:53pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    He got back quicker than I thought he would

These are the areas. He lives in Mandalyong City. And said anywhere in Pasig (Ortigas), Makati, San Juan, Mandaluyong and Taguig City would be okay.

Jspeedy, I checked out your description of your school of Balintawak on another thread. I think he might want something that in his eyes is more complete, including unarmed. Because he is a total beginner (and was originally thinking TKD) he will be going in with the stereotypical mindset and if it doesnt have any unarmed aspects it might not get him engaged.

Sorry for the noob, question but can I assume they are pretty good as well?
    I forgot you mentioned your friend was a total newb, in that case Balintawak may not offer everything he needs. In my experience Balintawak is a great accessory art but it won't teach you all of the striking and empty hand components of fighting alone. With prior experience in striking some components can be carried over to empty hand. Some Balintawak clubs to train in empty hand styles to supplement, but there is not standard art and who knows what they do in the PI.

Yes you can assume Doce Pares is more than pretty good. Cacoy Canete is like the Bruce Lee of FMA in a manner of speaking, he's done a lot to promote the art and competition in the art of FMA. I believe the also incorporate judo into stickfighting and call it Eskrido the style sounds fascinating to me, maybe Permalost can add a little more about the style.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/13/2011 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Yes you can assume Doce Pares is more than pretty good. Cacoy Canete is like the Bruce Lee of FMA in a manner of speaking, he's done a lot to promote the art and competition in the art of FMA. I believe the also incorporate judo into stickfighting and call it Eskrido the style sounds fascinating to me, maybe Permalost can add a little more about the style.
    My teacher also teaches eskrido, but I haven't learned a whole lot of it (haven't gotten to the judo-y parts yet). Anyway, the basic system is 12 angles (standard enough, includes targets on all levels of the body) and there's a series of counters for each one. The striking uses a lot of weird strikes that aren't included in the 12, the reason being that its a closer range system so sometimes you may have to strike around obstructions like sticks and arms (using abaniko, curbata, sunkiti, doblado etc). The part that I'm still getting down is during the defenses, there's ideal ways to go about gripping their stick hand to avoid a situation where you grab their arm but they can still use their wrist to hit with abanikos. So just the basic 12 angles defenses can be fairly technical, without introducing the throws. I haven't really been thrown around there yet, and I'm not really looking forward to being thrown on a garage floor that's padded with a layer of carpet.

Cacoy Canete was a high ranking judoka (and aikidoka), and also a university professor. Because of this, when he taught martial arts, it wasn't exactly judo or eskrima, so he devised his own syllabus for eskrido. Fun fact: Canete taught the use of the machine gun during his military service.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2011 7:42pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

Here's a video of doce pares stickfighting without the big WEKAF jackets:

The focus is usually on single stick, and the style has lots of tricky striking methods to use.
    I really hope that this is just a drill, because if it's really sparring, this just terrible combatively. There's no sense standing there trading hits when you could just use some range to evade things. There is also the fact that anyone with some common sense would not use a light rattan stick for combat. For an impact weapon, you'd use something with some weight. Or you'd just use a blade. Rattan is used because it is cheap, durable, and less likely to hurt someone because it is generally lighter than most hardwoods.

And against anyone with even a bit of grappling experience, you'll be a victim standing vertically at that range.

Edit: This must be a drill, as they've got a rope tying them together. OK. But this eliminates any off-angling which is pretty much the most important thing that you can do in any type of striking match, be it boxing, stickfighting, or whatever.
    Last edited by RynoGreene; 9/13/2011 7:47pm at .

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 11:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    I really hope that this is just a drill, because if it's really sparring, this just terrible combatively. There's no sense standing there trading hits when you could just use some range to evade things.
    Like your edit says, there's a rope tying them together. I'm not too clear on why, I was just trying to pull up a Doce Pares video without the WEKAF jackets.

There is also the fact that anyone with some common sense would not use a light rattan stick for combat. For an impact weapon, you'd use something with some weight. Or you'd just use a blade. Rattan is used because it is cheap, durable, and less likely to hurt someone because it is generally lighter than most hardwoods.
    Yeah, there is something of a dichotomy within FMA training where sometimes it represents a blade, but sometimes its a stick, and sometimes people are willing to trade blows with them.

Edit: This must be a drill, as they've got a rope tying them together. OK. But this eliminates any off-angling which is pretty much the most important thing that you can do in any type of striking match, be it boxing, stickfighting, or whatever.
    I was gonna say that this might be an eskrido specific drill, perhaps to isolate close quarters strikes and stick grappling, but I didn't see evidence of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 10:04pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok at this stage I will recommend the Doce Pares school and the PTK school, at this stage I would be leaning towards the Doce Pares school just because of whats been posted.

Flipper have you got any more information about your school, I would like to give it a fair go?

At the end of the day he can go check them both out and see what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I forgot you mentioned your friend was a total newb, in that case Balintawak may not offer everything he needs. In my experience Balintawak is a great accessory art but it won't teach you all of the striking and empty hand components of fighting alone. With prior experience in striking some components can be carried over to empty hand. Some Balintawak clubs to train in empty hand styles to supplement, but there is not standard art and who knows what they do in the PI.
    Speedy was there a particular reason you chose your style?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 10:40pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A direct quote from our website:

"Pekiti Tirsia Kali is a Filipino close quarter fighting system that focuses on edged weapons. It encompasses a wide range of traditional weapons and tactics, namely:

• Single stick (single sword)*

• Double sticks (two swords)*

• Single knife

• Double knives

• Espada y Daga (long blade and knife)

• Sibat (spear)

• Empty-handed techniques and grappling (dumpag and dumog)
    * Sticks are used in training in place of swords

The Pekiti Tirsia Kali strategy is based on mobility, counterattacking and triangular movement and clearly comes from the era when when it was common for Filipino men to carry swords and knives."

PTK is quite well known in the FMA community. Several of the founding Dog Brothers are from PTK. The system is currently used by the Philippine Force Recon Marines as their unit's impact, edged weapons and empty handed training. They've used it in combat and it work for them. Other units in the Armed Forces of the Philippines, specifically special operations units, have included PTK in their training. PTK Manila is the largest civilian training group and was founded by the Phil. Marines PTK instructor.

Like I said, we're very close to where you're friend is staying in Manila. He's welcome to drop by to watch a class. I teach at the White Plains group and the class schedule is on our website.

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 11:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd try them all. Consider distance to travel, cost, which one with the people you like the most, which one you could see training at for a long time, and which seems like you'll get the most benefits from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 2:20am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Flipper, and thank you to the rest of the guys. I will pass the recommendations on.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd try them all. Consider distance to travel, cost, which one with the people you like the most, which one you could see training at for a long time, and which seems like you'll get the most benefits from.
    Yeah its actually for my friend, he has never done any training before in any MA. Which is really why I want to make sure his first contact is a good one.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12