Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Vandry BJJ.

I'm not the one calling your instructor out, btw. Although I respect everyone else's tenacity as far as representation or misrepresentation goes, I really don't care. I've had my fill of jiu-jitsu politics, and certainly enough to last a lifetime.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 3:00pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyone2 View Post
    I think besides putting ones mind at ease about the technicalities of the belt system questions
    There are no technicalities.

Either he has the Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that he claims, or he doesn't.

Right now, it appears he doesn't. That doesn't mean he lacks skill, but only that he is claiming he has something that he doesn't appear to have.

There is no gray area when it comes to that. Either he has it or he doesn't.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 3:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree inn being diligent in researching the background and records of any Martial art school, as alot of young students attend and are easily influenced. That being said, "Boom" is obviously a local and could easily visit the school to have a one on one conversation with the the instructor. Seeing as how the school has only been open 2 weeks, although some of the students have been training with master Mira over 2 years I am surprised at the tone of "Boom's" comments without actually going down in person and visiting with Master Miura and the students. And I would ask "Boom" where do you train? whats your coachs lineage? and would you extend the same respectful invitation to your place of training? And as far as all the "smack" talk I find its counter-productive and disrespectful of the philosophy of the arts in general.
    Who gives a **** how you feel about smack talk. The reason it appears is when students decide to obscure the facts of an investigation. That's called double talk which is another form of smack talk.

Does he have a BJJ Black Belt? All signs say NO. Everything else you or the students post is smack talk. You don't like the tone? So, it doesn't change the FACT that he has DOJO rank. He is a student a local? So, it doesn't change the fact that he does not have a BJJ Black Belt. You don't like sarcasm? So, it doesn't change the FACT that Brazilian Jiujitsu runs a tight ship when it comes to rank. He may be skilled? So, it has nothing to do with Miura claiming a rank in BJJ.

All of that is a tactic by assholes who can't handle facts. He may be the greatest guy and skillful at his craft. That is not the point. No one questioned his over all skill. His BJJ rank and BJJ skill was questioned. I can call any legit place RIGHT NOW and ask their lineage. They will say here it is and come down for a free trial.

Yes, telling someone to come down and roll or ask questions is a BS tactic as well.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 3:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and unless you are the instructor do not try to start questioning where people train and what is their lineage. Start another thread for that crap as well. Yes, it is another tactic used to divert the focus of the thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I can see you feel strongly about this to say the least, and I do agree in part with what you say pertaining to whether or not an instructor has the credentials he or she states they have. But I still believe that if someone has a question they are right to ask. And I guess in this realm "smack talk" is part of the genre...I ask because I assumed it was ok to ask another Austin local where they trained? Not trying to divert anything, just curious since we've been here training at different schools over the years. You sound like you know what you're talking about so I look forward to future conversations about the Martial arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 3:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your reply,I haven't heard of your school, I'll check it out. You know how Austinites like to support local business.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 4:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your reply,I haven't heard of your school, I'll check it out. You know how Austinites like to support local business.
    In reference to the other posts, I think everyone is looking for a proper BJJ lineage. Such as:

Carlos Gracie, Jr > Carlos Machado (8th deg red and black) > William Vandry (third deg black) > me (got my blue belt from William, and a couple purple stripes, for whatever that counts)

It should also be noted that I'm not an instructor.

If anyone could provide something similar to that, then I think any troubles caused by this thread could be solved. Maybe ask your instructor? Just trying to be helpful, I guess.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 4:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or just ignore it and don't let it bother you, although I think it's far, far past that point now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 4:56pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I can see you feel strongly about this to say the least, and I do agree in part with what you say pertaining to whether or not an instructor has the credentials he or she states they have.
    No, I feel strongly about people using this as an excuse to not answer questions. Nothing you have said pertains to a conversation about the BJJ Black Belt. Yet, here you are complaining about tone. Sorry, this is not English class.

But I still believe that if someone has a question they are right to ask. And I guess in this realm "smack talk" is part of the genre...I ask because I assumed it was ok to ask another Austin local where they trained?
    You berate someone, tell them to check their tone, tell them to show up and ask where they train? Don't play word games. We both know context and tone play important parts in asking a question. You were not asking someone where they train because he was "local."

Not trying to divert anything, just curious since we've been here training at different schools over the years. You sound like you know what you're talking about so I look forward to future conversations about the Martial arts.
    Right and you take it to another thread. This one is not about "hey local guys where do you train."
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast