My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 9:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I Am a Martial Arts Dunce

After the fun filled thread that the erstwhile judoka uk started regarding the low quality of American Judo and equine phalluses, I was looking through Sensei Strange's "Dragon Orb" website while killing time at work.

I read through his stuff, and then started following links he has listed.

What struck me the most is the fact that many of the sifu, sensei, masters, etc. studied or are studying so many different "martial arts", and are often teachers/experts in said arts. Include the study of Zen, buddhism of various sort, traditional chinese medicine, etc. and I wonder how they fit it all in. Many are not any older than I (almost 49).

I've been doing Judo for 30 years now, and I'm nowhere near an expert at Judo in any sense of the word. Somehow going to college, grad school, working, and having a family interfered with my study of other martial arts and assorted esoteric topics.

Hence, the title to what I think is my debut in YMAS as a topic starter. Try not to be underwhelmed.

BTW, this isn't an attack on all those sensei, masters, sifu, etc that have studied so many arts in depth, so if any show up with your panties in a bunch, don't be so damned defensive.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is actually possible. There have been several times where I was training several arts at the same time. Until Recently my schedule was M (train BJJ), Tues (Kali), Wed (BJJ), Thur (Kali then teach BJJ class), Friday (rest but used to do MT until MT Instructor moved away), Sat (morning train BJJ, afternoon teach BJJ class). When I was in college I did Judo, Aikido, Nisei Goju, and for a short time WC. In Germany I did Genbukan Ninpo Bugei, BJJ, Judo, Deutches JJ and Kyokushin Karate plus I actively competed in Boxing, wrestling, Sport JJ and MMA. I also attended seminars for Kali, Krav Maga, and others. It does take time management skills and it can be done. However most the time these guys go to each others schools and become "experts" in their buddies art.

EDIT: I currently train and teach at a buddies school. Even though we are friends we each started from the begining with each other. He is a 3 stripe white betl under me in BJJ and I am a white belt under him in Toshindo. However I haven't been a good student due to other obligations. Lucky I adapted to most of the tech do to previous Buj training.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 11:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    It is actually possible. There have been several times where I was training several arts at the same time. Until Recently my schedule was M (train BJJ), Tues (Kali), Wed (BJJ), Thur (Kali then teach BJJ class), Friday (rest but used to do MT until MT Instructor moved away), Sat (morning train BJJ, afternoon teach BJJ class). When I was in college I did Judo, Aikido, Nisei Goju, and for a short time WC. In Germany I did Genbukan Ninpo Bugei, BJJ, Judo, Deutches JJ and Kyokushin Karate plus I actively competed in Boxing, wrestling, Sport JJ and MMA. I also attended seminars for Kali, Krav Maga, and others. It does take time management skills and it can be done. However most the time these guys go to each others schools and become "experts" in their buddies art.
    I wouldn't ever say it can't be done, for sure.

I've been reading around more, slow night at the comm center, some peoples take on training is strange. It may be my Judo-only background, but people seem to spend (I almost wrote waste) a lot of time on theoretical stuff, even in people who supposedly train Judo. It's not all bad or wrong, just the focus is more on almost touchy feely stuff than on serious training. Or maybe serious training in touch feely stuff.

I enjoy a good discussion on principles of judo/throwing etc., but in my experience correct training results in good results without all the flowery talk.

Thanks for the reply!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything other than touchy feely can hurt people, and there is a big demographic of martial arts enthusiasts who want to avoid injury on all levels. I personally judge martial artists on their willingness to accept damage as the cost of what they do. Simple enough right? If you punch me in the face don't fucking apologize, I asked for it...

But...you think the average 30, 40, 50+ year old is interested in "serious" martial arts training?

No, maybe one in ten of those guys, the rest are going through mid life crises.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 7:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got the:

- Legit without skillset,
    where it's just the "buddy circle jerk giving "legit" rank too eachother" way.

- Legit with skillset,
    where you learn one or two arts of a group and the other arts are just "different rulesets" or can be learned easier and faster building from your previous experience.
    examples:
    *study Full-Contact and Muay Thai and American Kickboxing, International Kickboxing, Japanese Kickboxing, K1-Kickboxing, Pradal Serey, etc...become just different rulesets
    *did highschool/college Wrestling? Than Greco-Roman and Freestyle are just different rulesets and you have a core knowledge to learn easier and faster Catch Wrestling and Shoot Wrestling.
    *background in Judo? It takes some years off of getting a BJJ BB (not much, but still)
    *background in Judo and Scholistic Wrestling? Have fun at SAMBO
    *background in Aikido? Daito-Ryu AJJ, Hapkido and Hakko-Ryu JJ.
    *etc....

Now getting a high rank (in styles with a grading system) is something completely different, while there are who have done that, it's only two arts (Judo/Karate or Judo/Aikido) and around the level of 8th Dan as highest rank at a respectable age.
    I don't know anyone "legit" with two 10th Dan ranks in two seperate arts (especially when he's still a young fiftyer).

In the end, it's about making choices, do you want to go wide or deep in your knowledge, because one lifetime isn't long enough to do both, even if Martial Arts/Combat Sports would be the only thing in your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 5:52pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that people tend to blur the line between "dabble" and "study".

Dabbling is when you read about something and use it few times with results.

Study is when you immerse yourself in it, work to actually understand it, and use it consistently with results.

My guess is that the bulk of people dabble but like to think they study for the "warm fuzzies" it gives them to say such.