Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    ITF TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Going to University

So, I'm leaving my current area, and I'll be able to take on some new MA.

I have the choice of....

Ninjitsu (lol)
    Judo
    Muay Thai
    Free Form Wrestling
    Shotaken Karate
    I have no idea on how they train, but keeping in mind with my large course load, what would you guys recommend?

I have some experience with TKD, so I do know how to perform some kicks.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the UK? Which University?

Do Judo.

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) With the exception of Ninjutsu (1), go to each of the classes and see if you like them. You might not like Judo for example, despite Judoka_Uk's recommendations. Also, you should be suspicious of the Shotokan, unless they spar full contact like Machida's dad's school.

2.) If your courseload allows it, try to take a striking art (Muay Thai probably) and a grappling art (Judo or Wrestling), cross training is great.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is free form wrestling like free style or something different?

Style
    ITF TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, that's what I meant. Freestyle wrestling.

And this is Canada, New Brunswick.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest you also audit the classes (I am assuming they are classes? University Clubs?) and see which you like.

I would also suggest you look around where you live and where the University is and factor in the following:

what am I going to have available to me, after school lets out?

then decide if you would rather TRY something normally unavailable to you.
    -OR-
    train in something you would like to continue, after school lets out.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there are 10 universities in New Brunswick and 4 colleges.

The reason I ask is that having run a university Judo club and been involved in university Judo on a national level I'm reasonably well placed to know about MA clubs at universities.

One of the big issues with martial arts is that a club is either set up by an eager student who may not actually know what they're doing or they're set up by an eager student who brings in an instructor that that student isn't qualified to background check or vet properly so that they know the instructor knows what they're doing.

I'm going to leave wrestling out of this because the colonial rejects that populate the North American continent are better placed to say what quality control their is on wrestling in Canada and whether it is actually possible to start learning to wrestle from scratch at university level.

However, if you tell us which university we can check the clubs instructor's and give you an experienced opinion. It may turn out the Judo club is being run by a fake black belt and the Muay Thai club is affiliated to a world champion producing gym or vice versa. Or it may transpire that both clubs are run by excellent instructors.

Then you can tell us what you want out of MA training and we can help you find a fit.

Don't worry about people 'knowing who you are' thousands of kids will start university the same time as you and hundreds of them will pass through these MA clubs in the first few weeks and never return. No one will be able to work out its you unless you go in with a badge saying 'I'm bullshido advice kid' on your head.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with judoka_uk's points, so I am going to skip them and emphasize some from my expriences. My experience with traditional martial arts clubs at University are that they are well meaning but lack in a dynamic classroom environment. Most people attend university for four years...which is hardly enough time to even get the hang of a traditional martial art. And most students at these clubs don't join them their first year. This makes your fellow training partners on the junior side of experience and isn't condusive to a well balanced training environment.

Sport and competition-based clubs typically are a little better because their focus is more on the practical aspects of competition and sport...which are less intricate than the little nuances of traditionalism and all the transference of knowledge that goes with it (hell, its a stretch to find a good school anywhere that offers that, let alone the limitations placed on college clubs).

Anyway, i would reccomend something like judo or wrestling...I think you would get the most out of that. I know a lot of colleges have Kendo clubs. I've never done it, so can't speak to it, but it sounds like a lot of fun and a good workout. Best of luck on your decision and congrats on going to university.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo+college = win.

College without judo would not have been nearly as interesting to me.

Forgetting about classes for a few hours, getting thrown around a room, and choked out by cute co-eds was one of the best times of my life.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...it definitely helped me decompress from a day of report writting and studying notes. My training was rather irregular in college, but luckily the place I train has relative late classes, sometimes not starting unil after 9pm, so I would be mid-study session and just say '**** it' and head to the dojo for an impromptu class. Sure tv, alcohol, or a movie can be relaxing..but it doesn't quite give you the same physical and emotional release, or endophin pump, as getting thrown around. Rolling up a sweaty gi, putting it into a bag, and grabbing a beer and some shitty barfood after a hard night's work on the mat is the ultimate 'reset' button, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last