Posted On:
    10/09/2011 5:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rickson and Taiji

I've seen this statement in other place:

I read an interview quite a while ago where Rickson Gracie attributes Taiji as one of the things which helped his art.
    Does anyone knows about this interview and/or about Rickson training in Taiji (Tai Chi)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 5:35pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I've seen this statement in other place:

Does anyone knows about this interview and/or about Rickson training in Taiji (Tai Chi)?
    Take everything Rickson says and the Gracies say about Rickson with a pinch of salt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 7:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere and suspect that alot of his invisible jiu jitsu stuff he derived from his yoga/gymnastica natural (sp?) with Cani. Aparently this is supposed to be more of the traditional yoga, as apposed to most yoga today.

The guy to talk to would be Tim Cartmell; there was a Budovideos rolled up episode with him. The inverview questions were pretty poor, but he said something on the lines of his IMA did him no good in BJJ initially, but later on he could apply/see IMA concepts in BJJ.

After my knee injury I went to various Tai Chi teachers to learn, but saw nothing impressive.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 8:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the Cani reference.

There is an interview with him in GTR that puts the statement I quoted in the OP in its proper context.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 11:12pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure how helpful this will be, but my .02.

Although I don't study under the Rickson lineage, my gym did recently play host to 10+ year Rickson BB Luiz Claudio (and his brother Thiago). They spend a fair bit of time talking about breathing and how to control it for increased focus and energy, just not in the "harness your chi" b.s. kind of way. More in the "don't blow your wad acting like an idiot and turning every position into a mad scramble" kind of way.

Their warmups and drills are, at least in my total beginner on the subject opinion, based largely on understanding body movement and gymnastics in the sense of working on increasing your balance and awareness.

Finally, they also definitely talk about "invisible jiu-jitsu" when it comes to controlling your opponent with body weight and technique as opposed to grips and brute strength. I can vouch for the fact that having Luiz on top of you feels like someone parked a truck on your chest.

So, how much of that comes from, or is in anyway unique to, an IMA is tough to say versus a lot of it just being knowledge won from countless hours on the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 11:26pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't WhiteShark make the point that his BJJ training allowed him to implement WC and Aikido better than the guys who practice, even though he never trained in it himself?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=109114&page=1

I wouldn't be a surprised at all if someone like Rickson got the 'essence' of Taiji more than the guys who actually do the stuff ;-)