Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/13/2011 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach insisted i make a notebook early on, and i am really glad i listened.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 6:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesorensen89 View Post
    Passing guard on the knees is completely void. It does not work anymore. Move to ATL and train with world champions you won't see anyone passing the guard without standing up first!
    http://everystepblog.blogspot.com/
    I'm guessing you mean opening the closed guard. World Champion Robson Moura prefers to open the closed guard on his knees, it still works. Although I prefer standing passes everyone needs to learn how to open and pass from there knees.

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 8:44am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First two technique chains i'll be doing for the next 2 months, 10-20 repetitions a day:

* Two similar half guard passes i don't know the name of.
    * Side control loop choke + arm in north-south when they bring their arm up to defend.

I'll spam this thread again after that, might go a side control escape and generic armbar.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 4:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next two techniques are cross collar choke to armbar from mount, seems to be a pretty awesome basic combination to be able to do well.

It got me thinking though, what is the equivalent combination for no-gi when you have mount? The only submissions i use here are triangles, armbars and gimmicky monoplatas.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    It got me thinking though, what is the equivalent combination for no-gi when you have mount? The only submissions i use here are triangles, armbars and gimmicky monoplatas.
    There isn't an exact match. You can use an ezekiel (like so) to make him defend with his hands so you can get under his armpits, or just press the arteries with your knuckles/forearm across the throat.

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 5:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Pointyshinyburn, i feel a little limited trying to go for armbars no gi at the moment, they know what i want and are unwilling to give it up. Gi the cross collar is amazing for setting it up.

Next noob question:

From what I've read it is fine to cross your legs when doing an armbar from mount if you do it the correct way, what is this way and does it offer advantages to the traditional armbar method of just pinching my knees and keeping my legs straight?
    Kenny Weldon
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678