Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 7:45pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks :), I've made it my mission to perfect the triangle after this thread. I can pretty much recite Ryan Halls' triangle dvd by heart now.

If you hear a loud pop when you armbar someone is that a ligament going? The retard picked me up and slammed me on my neck.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 9:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had to pop guys arms in tournament too. That's their own dumb fault. It is usually the ligaments yes. occasionally you can break the olecranon process. http://education.yahoo.com/reference...cts/subject/52

Posted On:
    10/30/2011 4:08am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Wow you weren't kidding WhiteShark, its different alright. I think i actually prefer Gi, less spazzy opponents. Thanks for the tip regarding armbars, it paid dividends.

Won Gi and No Gi all submissions. 3 triangles, 2 armbars, 1 kimura. I'm king of the noobs :P (and still suck).
    Well done Sang!

I, more predictably, sucked incredibly and got choked out twice (triangle and guillotine). But I managed to score some points in the no gi which is better than I expected.

Posted On:
    10/30/2011 4:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah that sucks mate, you were entering well above your experience level though. I'd probably get choked out with my own arms in the blue belt division.

Did it change the way you feel about your traditional JJ training, or did aspects of it still work under pressure?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/30/2011 4:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah watching the 91+ white belts while waiting I had the realisation that I should've been in that division. I think I would have been competative there but there were definitely aspects that I don't think I'll ever get at my dojo. Have been seriously considering picking up bjj to train with as well.

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    ... there were definitely aspects that I don't think I'll ever get at my dojo. Have been seriously considering picking up bjj to train with as well.
    You should expand on this in your own thread. I think a lot of people would be interested in what the differences are and what SPECIFICALLY you don't think you'd ever pick up. Most of us generally understand the training perspective difference but a lot of people assume that Judo/JJJ and BJJ all contain the same stuff. Expanding on the similarities and differences could be interesting for people that haven't done more than one of them.

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 7:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    You should expand on this in your own thread. I think a lot of people would be interested in what the differences are and what SPECIFICALLY you don't think you'd ever pick up. Most of us generally understand the training perspective difference but a lot of people assume that Judo/JJJ and BJJ all contain the same stuff. Expanding on the similarities and differences could be interesting for people that haven't done more than one of them.
    Alright, here goes.

The three Jitsu's - a n00b's impression

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 7:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm hitting a really frustrating road block at the moment - the turtle.

I fail attacking people in it with submissions and I fail at trying to take the back.

Can anyone recommend a basic move or two which i can start using when people turtle up?

(training gi only now)
    Kenny Weldon

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not so much a move as an insight that has helped me. The tighter he squeezes in to avoid your hooks the worse his base is, so either disrupt his base to open space for hooks, or feint the hooks to make him easier to roll onto his back.

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Attacking turtle can be pretty personal because it depends on your end goal and your goals will vary depending on where your game is strongest. BUT, I personally love when people turtle because I go straight to the seat belt grip/Garcia roll. Marcelo Garcia's back taking is unbelievable and he starts everything from the seat belt grip. As soon as anyone starts to turtle throw the seat belt on without hooks and pressure the back of the head so you can roll into it and get your hooks. I'll post a video if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast