Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 9:09am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips :). I grappled in a karate gi about 10 years ago and luckily it ripped before anything bad happened.

I figure i'll probably loze the first match but should be fun none the less.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 5:41pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I'm entering a tournament this weekend and its pretty much the same price to enter both gi and no gi. Having never trained in a gi i'm a little worried about gi-chokes.

Is there a simple defense i can use to cut down on the likelihood of being choked out with my own jacket? I know they need one hand deep up on my collar, but thats about it.

Edit: To clarify in case there is no hard and fast rule for the majority of gi chokes, cross collar choke from in guard or while being mounted.
    haha, I have the opposite problem, having never rolled no-gi!

It's probably not very likely that you'll come up against someone who is proficient enough at gi chokes for it to be their go-to move once they've got you in control. I tried it against one of our brown belts the other night, had in him mount and started fumbling around for the gi choke. His simple defence was to do one straight back and as he was able to get his on 1-1.5 secs before me (which is a long time when you're wandering in asphyxia land!).

But if someone does try there's a good chance they'll either go too shallow on the collar, take too much time trying get the grip deep enough and/or be concentrating so much on the choke that their control will suffer. Either way, they've posted an arm on your neck/chest and if you can set-up a sweep there's an armbar begging. But the best defence is probably to get the dominant position first for yourself, and make them worry about what you're doing.

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 3:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either way i think its silly for us to lose half the experience because we're afraid of losing at white belt. Even if you win these competitions you still suck.

What weight class will you be in? I'm about halfway through the 70-80kg one.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 4:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually sit around 92 so I've gone the 91+. Also having a crack at the blue belt level, cause if I'm going to fail may as well do it spectacularly!

Totally agree on the two divisions, if nothing else I might find out how much I rely on gripping, and what better way to do it!
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 10/27/2011 4:58am at . Reason: Finishing off...

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 5:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    It's probably not very likely that you'll come up against someone who is proficient enough at gi chokes for it to be their go-to move once they've got you in control. I tried it against one of our brown belts the other night, had in him mount and started fumbling around for the gi choke. His simple defence was to do one straight back and as he was able to get his on 1-1.5 secs before me (which is a long time when you're wandering in asphyxia land!).
    If you're able to mount brown-belts you should know how to do an armbar.

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 5:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If you're able to mount brown-belts you should know how to do an armbar.
    I think he might've intended for me to end up there so he could work his game from underneath. And I was trying to be a tricky. Didn't end well for me.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 5:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    I think he might've intended for me to end up there so he could work his game from underneath. And I was trying to be a tricky. Didn't end well for me.
    What I'm saying is that the obvious counter for someone trying to collar choke you from under mount is to armbar them and this is what you should do next time someone tries something so silly.

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 7:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    What I'm saying is that the obvious counter for someone trying to collar choke you from under mount is to armbar them and this is what you should do next time someone tries something so silly.
    Haha, yeah, sorry, can't argue with that. I'm just glad I had that brain fart at training and not in the comp.

Also bear in mind I do JJ, not BJJ. I have no concept of how the belts correspond - as far as I know my ne waza as a blue belt might only be at a four month BJJ white belt level. But that's part of the motivation for entering the tournament.

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 2:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow you weren't kidding WhiteShark, its different alright. I think i actually prefer Gi, less spazzy opponents. Thanks for the tip regarding armbars, it paid dividends.

Won Gi and No Gi all submissions. 3 triangles, 2 armbars, 1 kimura. I'm king of the noobs :P (and still suck).
    Kenny Weldon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 9:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOOO! Go Sang, Bullshido's greatest internet student!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast