Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 7:21am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, wish i knew some more technical terms.

From guard i get control of his neck and one arm. The choking hand has the base of the thumb/wrist in the trachea and is gripped by the other hand around the bottom fingers. Hip moves to the side and one leg comes over their back to prevent escape.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 2:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats just a basic arm-in guillotine. Arm out is harder to get but higher percentage. Try it arm out like Joe daddy. Remember that application is always their chin to their chest for most guillotines.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 3:56pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I've started restricting myself to 3 submissions lately and my overall success has gone way up (brabo, omoplata, triangle).

I believe I really need to add an RNC and some form of guillotine to this though but my technique in both of these suck.
    I like to tell 6-12 months students to know 1 arm attack and 1 choke from every position. If you fail at one, your opponent's defense typically sets up the other one. A failed armbar from guard sets up a cross-collar choke from guard. They defend the choke by trying to posture up and extend, which lets you shoot your hips into their armpit and set up the armbar. Working on "complementary techniques" like that will help you manage transitions.

Drill only those 2 techniques for a week, transitioning back and forth between them. The next week, take the "2nd" technique (cross collar choke in this example) and add a different complementary technique (hip-bump sweep for example).

Keep working complementary techniques in pairs like that, and you will eventually have a non-stop attack vector (I'm a geek) consisting of arm attacks, chokes, and sweeps because they will eventually "glue" together: armbar -> cross-collar choke -> hip bump sweep -> Kimura -> triangle -> omaplata -> gogoplata -> armbar -> ...

Posted On:
    10/11/2011 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks WhiteShark I'll give that a go, can you recommend any tutorials or should i use the exact same technique as arm-in just on the neck?

Interesting post Uncle Skippy. I've been connecting my two sweeps (scissor/hip bump) to the omoplata, and the omoplata to several sweeps but thats really as far as my chaining goes.

Which complementary arm attack could be good to pair up with a brabo choke from side control? This is all i can do from this position currently.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    10/11/2011 12:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Which complementary arm attack could be good to pair up with a brabo choke from side control? This is all i can do from this position currently.
    Their escape determines the arm attack:

- If they reach their arm down to grab a leg, keep forward pressure, spin around their head, jam your shin in their armpit, leg over their head, and sit back for the armbar (their arm is already straight). If that isn't smooth for you yet, attack with a Kimura (you will have to forcefully bend their arm, unfortunately).

- If they flatten out to their back, their arm is above their head. If bent, keylock/americana. If straight, then figure-4 armbar.

- If they turn to knees, you will need to switch to your turtle/quarter-position game.

Pick 1 thing and drill it as a complementary technique to your Brabo. Have a partner switch back and forth between your Brabo and the escape you want them to drill. Apply the Brabo, they transition, apply the complementary technique, they transition back, apply the Brabo, they transition, ...

The nice thing is that the escape for one is the setup for the other so moving back and forth between them should be relatively smooth.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 7:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow i can't believe i missed that post, thank you Uncle Skippy!
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 6:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm entering a tournament this weekend and its pretty much the same price to enter both gi and no gi. Having never trained in a gi i'm a little worried about gi-chokes.

Is there a simple defense i can use to cut down on the likelihood of being choked out with my own jacket? I know they need one hand deep up on my collar, but thats about it.

Edit: To clarify in case there is no hard and fast rule for the majority of gi chokes, cross collar choke from in guard or while being mounted.
    Last edited by Sang; 10/26/2011 6:48am at .
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 7:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a bjj gi?

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 8:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a judo one from my 6 months of judo, pretty sure its legal in this comp.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just making sure you weren't going to fight in a karate gi. Those things will get your head cut off.

I'd go ahead and enter Gi just for fun. The Gi chokes aren't really going to be the problem. Remember your opponent won't know you are susceptible to them unless you tell them.

The amount of control your opponent has over you from the Gi grips is what will probably surprise you. Remember to avoid the tunnel vision I mentioned in my Ultra newb BJJ tips thread. You must have control over your opponents body don't focus on his grips exclusively.

I'd also advise against hunting for a RNC as they can be easy to defend against beginners in the Gi. I'd focus on whatever armlock is your best in No-Gi. OR just plan to get points and use your No-Gi sweeps and takedowns.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast