Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 6:11pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    They adjusted me and prescribed calcium magnesium as well as a few other things. I have to go back again for another 2 sessions.
    I'm res. this thread 1 because I want to hear an update about your neck and 2 because I'm experiencing neck and trap pain myself. I have a distinct pea sized knot on the base of the back of my neck close to the spine. In addition my neck is generally stiff, and easily aggravated. I recently had two really nice massages but they didn't solve the problem. I'm going to a chiropractor soon (although I'm generally skeptical of chiropractics) but i figured I'd give it a shot before going to my GP.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 1:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By "lump" do you mean "tight muscle nodule" or "something that feels solid, like a frozen pea in your flesh?"

If the latter, you may want to see a doctor as that sounds like a swollen or calcified lymph node. If it's just in the muscles and your neck simply feels a bit stiff, a well-reputed chiropractor or osteopath should be able to set you straight.

How did you get this pain and what specifically aggravates it? Were you doing anything specific at the time before you noticed it, hard training or sleeping in the cold?

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The majority of the cervical lymph nodes are on the anterior aspect of the neck, so that sounds unlikely.

Sounds like an issue with levator scapulae and/or rhomboid minor.

Note the shared insertion just below the pointer.

These are often caused by imbalances such as upper crossed syndrome, among others.
    It often pays to look "on the other side" ie at the antagonists (pectoralis minor, serratus anterior etc.) to determine if they are inhibiting ROM of the scapula and normal function of the shoulder girdle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ChenPeng, the knot in my neck is exactly where the X is in the first picture you posted. Upper crossed syndrome sounds very similar to my condition and I am a student and tend to have bad posture when sitting for long periods of time. I took a fall skiing, in which i fell flat on my back and my the back of my head slammed against relatively hard snow. My neck wasn't particularly tender from that alone but it has been aggravated by wrestling, boxing, running, and lifting ever since. I've taken several 3 to 5 day breaks when lots of ice only for it to start hurting again after much physical exertion.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 8:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the case and it is a muscle dysfunction, you might want to take a multi-pronged approach.
    Massage, PT, acupuncture and chiro all helped me.
    I'm a firm believer in synergy as far as bodywork and PT goes, so switching between modalities would not be my favorite option.
    Instead i'd stick with a mix of practitioners i felt comfortable working with.

Some good resources:
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Post...#anchor7267282
    http://www.massagetherapy.com/articl...vator-Scapulae
    http://www.daltonarticles.com/public...PoundHead.html

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 9:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The X'es on the diagrams Cheng posted are triggerpoints, so if you have a focal spot of achyness there, that's most likely what it is.

Chengs recommendations are sound, with an emphasis on a massage therapist/chiropractor/whatever who knows their way around trigger point therapy, which should be most of them, I hope.

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 4:18pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have similar trigger point issues. Note that they're usually referred from somewhere else (e.g. mine are largely related to a pinched nerve/bulging disk).

If you can find a good MFR (myofascial release) practitioner, go for it. They're usually PTs. Some massage therapists know what they're doing too. My PT uses the John Barnes method, which is great, but there other MFR schools of thought too (e.g. ART). I'm not a fan of the rolfing technique, though, nor am I generally a proponent of Chiropractic work.

In my experience, is really difficult to find someone who is actually good at bodywork. Most massage therapists, for example, are not very good although some are great. But it's also hard to tell the good from the bad.

Also get a foam roller and Theracane. Theracanes are awesome. I own three. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...vptwo=&hvqmt=e
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 3/23/2012 4:23pm at .

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 4:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For clarity, trigger points may or may not be painful in and of themselves.
    Trigger points may also refer pain elsewhere, the shaded areas in the images on the left above.

In my experience, is really difficult to find someone who is actually good at bodywork. Most massage therapists, for example, are not very good although some are great. But it's also hard to tell the good from the bad.
    This is very true for manual therapies.
    It's just like finding a good restaurant, just because 10 chefs all went to the same school doesn't mean they can all cook.
    Seek recommendations from local athletes and trainers for good therapy and don't be bound up by labels.
    Local schools can be useful for those on a budget, but the therapists are green and the good ones may be few and far between.

edit:
    I'll add that the local requirements for massage therapists varies widely.
    California is by county. NY state is the most rigorous in the US with a 1000 hr requirement. Canada requires 2200 hrs iirc. France is relaxation only, no medical massage.
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 3/23/2012 5:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so today I visited a chiropractor for my neck and trap pain/discomfort. I spent quite a while talking with the chiropractor about where my discomfort was and what types of activities seem to trigger/amplify it. He did some feeling around my traps and made note of trigger points, he also tested my range of motion and took x-rays. My range of motion was fine except for rotation. Two x-rays were taken while standing. One side view and one frontal view. The frontal view revealed a slightly pinched nerve. The side view was more alarming and revealed that my neck is quite straight, and doesn't display the curvature of a healthy neck especially for a young person. He then proceeded to do several adjustments on my neck and a couple of my back. They were quite forceful and loud but they felt quite good, he told me I should expect to be sore. Comparing the side view of my neck with that of a "correct" neck scared me to be honest, and the chiropractor left me feeling that my neck problem was something more serious than I initially believed. He wants to see me twice per week for a couple weeks then taper to once a week and continue tapering back accordingly.
    He was very personable and answered a lot of my questions intelligently, but this concept of making me feel like many return visits are necessary worries me a bit regarding his legitimacy. However this by no means is proof he is fraudulent, I am simply a skeptic and am always looking for varied opinions. In the past I have had good results from physical therapy for low back pain, but this time with neck pain I felt inclined towards chiropractics. Maybe I'm anxious for a quick and easy fix. I will probably make return visits to the chiropractor but I would also like to see a doctor and a physical therapist. And during this I would like to conserve as much money as possible, I'm just confused and not sure which type of professional is best suited for my condition. Any thoughts and advice is appreciated

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also going to get some images of these x-rays and possibly post them on here and some medical message boards.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast