--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2011: Warrior

Warrior
    USA, 2011
    Genre: Sports, Drama
    140 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/

Two brothers must confront their past in the ultimate winner-takes-all MMA tournament.

Best known for his previous sports drama Miracle, director Gavin OíConnor writes and directs Warrior, a film he hopes will become ďthe Rocky of mixed martial arts.Ē With the sport growing faster than ever and all eyes on the battle for legalization in states like New York, fans of MMA have reason to be wary. Previous films, television shows, and even video games referencing the sportís culture, practioners, or image have been far from charitable, contributing to greater unease and misinformation among the general public. But right from the start, it seems apparent that a lot of love for the sport and the people apart of it went into OíConnorís movie. The culture of MMA is represented fairly accurately, with even a number of thinly-veiled real world analogs in the film. While the premise and backdrop of the story seem a bit on the unreal side, itís mostly a solid simulation of the world sports fans are familiar with. Japanese cinematographer Masanobu Takayanaki does a fine job lighting up the screen with a sense of both grandeur and intimacy. Complimented with strong sound design and a moving, if a bit questionable, score, Warrior is an impressive feat of aesthetics that does justice to the sport.

It must be said that the story isnít particularly innovative or original, and seasoned fans of sports dramas will likely recognize a great deal of popular genre tropes. However, it sets everything up well and amazing performances by the cast really outweigh any feelings of cheesiness. Joel Edgerton really gets the chance to open up on camera, and itís amazing to see him perform such an impressive role. Tom Hardy doesnít disappoint either, and delivers in a way that makes it impossible to fully love or hate his character. This is the very definition of a nuanced and human performance, and Hardy manages to hit just the right balance between heartless and compassionate. Nick Nolte as the brothersí father is outstanding as well, and the three actors elevate the film from just another sports drama to something truly worthy of becoming a classic.

Although definitely flashier than actual mixed martial arts fights, the on screen matches arenít unbelievable, and work well within the bounds of the film. The choreography is impressive and the performances hit hard. With cameras that mimic the real-life sports coverage, the scenes all feel dynamic and authentic. Fans may chuckle a bit at the fights, but I think the film deserves at least as much of a pass as boxing films do. This is a powerful film, with great action pieces and even better dramatic performances. This is the MMA movie fans have been yearning for, and this is the kind of movie we deserve. Go out and watch this movie, and bring all the non-fans you can find.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...riday-warrior/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where were you 16 minutes before?!

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108822

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 4:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah Conde you slacker!

You were only in moderation queue for like 10-12 min so don't blame us! :D
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USA: arguably the world capital of MMA. But the stars are English and Australian.

Win.

This review confirms my plans to see this film. Thank you.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 5:29pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just met Erik "Bad" Apple, who I understand plays the "bad guy" in this film, this morning at an event at our armory. Great guy, he actually showed me a pair of unorthodox submissions that are favorites of his.

Will have to go check out the film in theaters, based mostly on your review, Koma. It's nice to see a MMA-related film that's not absolute garbage pandering to the beer-swilling DerpouT crowd.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    It's nice to see a MMA-related film that's not absolute garbage pandering to the beer-swilling DerpouT crowd.
    This this this, so much this.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 6:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the inclusion of a Physics teacher will likely confuse, befuddle and ultimately frighten the DerpouT crowd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 11:18pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I was up in the air about going (damn Never Back Down), but I guess I'll drag the wife out to it now.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is absolutely worth seeing, glad to hear you all are planning to check it out.

also wanted to apologize for the infrequent reviews. i've been straying from my every friday schedule due to a new job and school kicking up again; hopefully this will get me back on track.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 1:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Condy's review is to the point!

Now, here, two critic biggies, and what they have to say:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/110909991

Notably, Roger Ebert:

Mixed martial arts is a sport that perplexes me. I never quite understand how any of the fighters stay conscious for even one round. Hitting, butting, kicking, tripping and slamming are all part of the game, and I may be naive, but it all looks real to me. The punishment the fighters take is so severe that it strains credulity that the final matches are held during such a small time frame.
    Another critic writes:

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/07/the_warrior/

pseudo-individualist, sub-Freudian, Tea Party-friendly fantasy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast