Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2011 12:12pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Oh, I got my review up for this movie over the weekend at USCS. http://uscombatsports.com/index.php?...604&Itemid=325

Yes, it was good, but not great. The ultra short version is direction, cinematography, choreography: brilliant. Acting: Solid. Script: Utter garbage.
    Oh, by the way, good review.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/12/2011 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate how every trailer is loaded with all of the important spoilers these days
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 9:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Oh, I got my review up for this movie over the weekend at USCS. http://uscombatsports.com/index.php?...604&Itemid=325

Yes, it was good, but not great. The ultra short version is direction, cinematography, choreography: brilliant. Acting: Solid. Script: Utter garbage.
    You know, if you added "much worse than the commercials led you to believe", you could be discribing every M. Night Shyamalan movie ever made. Except for the part about good choreography maybe.

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 10:50pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was some clear Rocky robbery going on as it was set in a dreary new-England area, overcast and cold with some blue-collar and the dad/coach figure. The main thing it had going for it was that it was a movie about shared common experiences (broken families, especially timely for me right now) set against the backdrop of the fighting. I was, of course, dismayed that we found out virtually nothing about how these guys got to be such phenomenal fighters. One brother shows up and takes out a top middleweight without pause and then his old, broken down dad who couldn't possibly have been an MMA guy because he is TOO OLD has him pounding tires with sledgehammers.

The trainer for the teacher/brother made a lot more sense, was a great, inspirational character and obviously new his stuff. I was super pissed that the montage scenes provided no inspiration when that was the greatest moment in Rocky. I was pleasantly surprised at how utterly awesome the fights were (despite the complete lack of defense by anyone ever) with the powerbombs, cranked shoulders and whatnot. There were people cheering behind me.

The end, however, left me shaking my head. If someone was ever able to fight with a tweaked shoulder, we would have seen it already. And it seemed rather obvious to me that the guy who lost was the better fighter.

Yeah it was sentimental and cheesy, but that's me. I want to believe underdogs can win and families can get back together. They knew that when they made it.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12