Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:53am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DRILL NOOBS DRILL!
    For most people drilling is the most boring part of jiujitsu, but it's also the part that will give you the most long term success. DO NOT halfass the drilling portion of class. If your instructor just showed you a technique then you need to get in as many reps as possible RIGHT NOW while it's still fresh in your head. Try to get 50 good clean reps in of any technique you learn in class. You rarely will pull that off, but it's a good target to keep you moving.
    So often I see white belts do 3-4 reps and then start chatting about other **** or doing some halfass rolling that has nothing to do with the technique they are supposed to be learning. DO NOT skip the drilling!

In fact, do extra drilling! If you can get to class early or stay late and find a blue or purple belt that is willing to put in some time with you get 20 minutes of nothing but drilling done every chance you get.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 12:05pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to all of the tips previously mentioned, a couple of things helped me a lot early on.

First, don't just use your arms. You have legs, too. Use them. Once I began truly incorporating my legs into my technique, my entire game opened up. They're used to control, to hook, to create momentum. You also have a head. That's five different "limbs" you can use.

Second, worry more about where your elbows are than your hands. This is a general concept that holds true for most control positions. The detail most newbies miss is to suck their elbow into their side. As a result, they're using too much grip strength and relying too much on the strength in their arms.

Third, don't give up on a technique just because you can't do it now. You'll fail at a technique 1000 times before you catch it once, and then you'll need to do it another 1000 times before it's really a part of your game.

Lastly, don't measure your progress against other people. Jits is a personal journey, and as long as you're better each class, you're doing just fine. I'm not a natural athlete, but I'm proof that anyone can do it given time. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The goal is to train forever. I'd rather be a 70 year old purple belt who still rolls 3 times each week than a 3 year black belt who quit training.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 10:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got another one yesterday. Rolling with a very large and strong new guy. In the beginning don't worry about every detail. Just try to get your hips aimed in the right direction. In general you want your hips pointed at your opponents hips.

For example if you are under side control trying to roll away will just get your back taken. you want to be trying to get to half guard then back to full guard.

Yes there are escapes from under side control back into a scramble or turtle but for a brand new guy you are better off building the skills and habits of getting to guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 2:04pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't try to force a move. If your having trouble with the move the solution is not to use more muscle. There is no shame in backing out and trying again with better technique or re-positioning and going for a different move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 7:26pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alot of good advice here. My top advice would be to drop the ego. Your ego will make you do things that are counter productive and straight out stupid. Like being an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 1:27pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Don't try to force a move. If your having trouble with the move the solution is not to use more muscle. There is no shame in backing out and trying again with better technique or re-positioning and going for a different move.

I remember when I discovered that I could add a whole new dimension to my game by retreating and re-establishing my base. I always trained going forward or around when attacking or defending, I had never thought about the fact that I could also move backwards away from my opponent, regain my composure, and then move back in. It was a "light bulb clicked on" moment for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 7:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ultranoob drilling is really helpful. just practice and learn.

The other day, we did the 50 clean reps on two techniques and ended class with mixing the techniques together. get the patterns, you know! and it's fun. you get to know people in your class better, and it's a good opportunity to start off on the right foot.

the other thing that's been done in my classes is that the blues who are close to promotion get paired up with us ultranoobs and instruct us. they break it down (and hopefully kick their knowledge up a notch).

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 10:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask smart questions. When you are being shown a new technique, particularly one that may seem "simple" or "basic" a great question to ask is "What errors do people make that may cause that techniques to fail?". That usually gets the instructor to add those few small details that are important to you but they may have stopped thinking about ages ago because it's as natural as breathing to them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 1:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I did a few BJJ classes before I left for China and I pretty much fell foul of 90% of the things mentioned thus far, I just used shear strength and brute force to just get into stale mate positions with people when rolling and pretty much learnt nothing at all other than how to pin people to the matt or hold there head so tight in guard that they couldnt do anything, it would frustrate others and was really counter productive for me.

When I get back home in a few months I am going to train BJJ exclusively until I really start to get a knack for it...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 2:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah - and as an ubernoob, I'd like to thank all of the higher belts for their patience and excellent instruction. And forgiveness when i inadvertently knock them in the face, or miss a grab and hit them or something. Their patience is also something that is immeasurably appreciated!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast