Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:36pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    Breathe. Seriously, breathe.
    ^ This

I've found that when I take a deep breath, I also relax a little bit. Go figure...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you're on the bottom, avoid letting your partner open you up and control the inside by flaring your elbows, for example.

As the instructor of the kid's classes at my gym likes to say: your elbows always need a friend, so make sure they always touching your ribs or a knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:19am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a newb, i try to go for positions more than submissions, but i'm beginning to realize that at the end of randori i'm only a little bit out of breath, even if my partner(s) are panting. i dont have excellent cardio. am i not trying hard enough?

P.S. i get dominated pretty often

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 8:45am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome thread ! I wish I'd read something like this when I had just started.
    I guess the best advice I could give is looking back at what I should have focused more on myself when I started in my first couple months.

Elbows in ( no space between your elbows and ribs ).
    This is VERY important. Unless you have a specific reason to flare out or raise your elbow, it is generally a bad habit in almost any striking or grappling style.

Shrimp !
    Shrimping creates space. Space allows you to move when you were once pinned/stuck. It is so important. Also learning to combine framing, stiff arming, and bridging with your shrimping movements as you progress. Also, as you get more comfortable with shrimping, try to shrimp to make space earlier and earlier instead of waiting for your opponent to establish position before trying to escape.

Breakfalls and rolling !
    It's very important to properly break your falls and to know how to do front and back rolls safely ( without crunching over your own head and neck ).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 10:00am

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work on what your instructor teaches you: If you trust them enough to pay them, you should trust them enough to follow their instructions. I've seen a fair number of people quit gyms because their instructor wanted them to focus on escaping and positional dominance instead of submissions. Even if you're a non-white belt who transfers in, your teacher may see holes in your basics that you need to fix before moving forward.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 10:37am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep a journal. This has really helped me. You can cover a lot of information in one class, retaining it as a newb is difficult.

I write everything down as soon as possible so that I can review it whenever I have time. I find it really helps me to remember the little details of each position/sweep/sub etc.

This is a awesome thread! Keep them coming!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 10:47am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and my coach likes to say that the moves you learn in your first 3 months as a white belt can carry you right through to black belt level. Basics are not just for beginners. He cites Roger Gracie as a great example of this.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 10:04am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Masaka! View Post
    as a newb, i try to go for positions more than submissions, but i'm beginning to realize that at the end of randori i'm only a little bit out of breath, even if my partner(s) are panting. i dont have excellent cardio. am i not trying hard enough?

P.S. i get dominated pretty often
    It depends on two things. 1) How new are you? 2) Are you just a really relaxed dude?

I know top brown belts that don't apparently ever get tired because they are just that chilled out when they roll.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 12:23pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Bullshido ain't as stickie-happy as Sherdog... But this needs to be stickied, either here or in n00btown.

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 3:23pm

Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread definitely needs to be stickied, and it's already in the correct subforum. Seeing as any post here could be preserved for posterity, my contribution will be to link Stephan Kesting's A Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ebook. I think its content dovetails perfectly with what's been said in this thread so far, and the pedagogy he uses matches the way I tend to think about things. Bonus: the email newsletter isn't ****, either.

Hopefully, I've said enough to prove that linking ≠ shill in this case.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast