Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Newbietown"

Hello here. Just joined today.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:46am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin Do

I know and have read the statements about the lineage, and many of the arguments against Shaolin-Do. What I would like to post here is a question of what the forms or katas or whatever actually allude to or what lesson they have to offer and just how do katas or forms fit into the overall scheme of the art. I have decided to join a Shaolin Do group here in Kentucky, for better or worse. I have attended one class and participated therein.
    One point I would like to make is that how my body felt after that first class is that the training is real. The format was like this: a sit down meditation session that lasted about three minutes followed by school specific announcements then stretches. After stretches some kicks and punches were demonstrated to me and my daughter who was joining with me. Following the initial parts of the class, we were taught three basic stances and our limitations in them were pointed out with the advice of "needs more work, try to work on these" meaning that we were not low enough in either the horse, bow, or cat stances. Then beginning instruction followed with learning two steps of the kata, two steps in the sparring, and two self defense moves after which we were given the personal attention of a black belt to make sure that we knew these well enough to do them on our own.

• :Determined: Then we took a break to get some water, and were directed to watch while the two green belts performed their brown belt test. After which we sparred continuously switching partners about every three or four; maybe five minutes which lasted a total of about thirty minutes. after which we watched a yellow belt perform a kata that he would be doing at a local tournament.
    • I was very pleased with the class and the art as well as the personal attention from the instructors. No mention was made of money or what not until I mentioned it outside as the instructor walked us to our car answering my questions.
    • I work as a correctional officer, and have had to defend myself against men that are two or three times my size, life or death, with and without weapons, on at least three occassions. The material that we were taught in shaolin-do were moves that do work, the style actually teaches these moves in a way that makes them easier to recall and perform.
    • How good is it for tournament fighting, I don't know, what I do know is that these same moves made it possible for dad to come home to the kids more than once. As such I am eager to learn more. For now I have to practice my kata and stances and go to bed as I work nights and bedtime is too soon for work tonight. Answers will be appreciated while rude people and comments will be ignored so don't be surprised if you leave a rude remark and I don't respond. Honest and appropriate remarks will be responded too. Thank you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why do you say "Oh go..."? To what might you be referring?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sorry, wife was talking to me, why do you say "Oh god...." to what are you referring?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 10:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So tell us about Shaolin Do.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just posted a question on the forums about my first class. I don't have time to repost it all as it was lengthy and I still have to practice my kata, self defense, and stances; a daily routine for me so far. You can find it under the tags of shaolindo, kata, kungfu.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nautavac View Post
    Well, I just posted a question on the forums about my first class. I don't have time to repost it all as it was lengthy and I still have to practice my kata, self defense, and stances; a daily routine for me so far. You can find it under the tags of shaolindo, kata, kungfu.
    My understanding is that the whole history of the shoalin temple as a center of martial arts is perhaps not as represented on the home page of shaolin do. I'll leave it at that, as you have posted in the appropriate part of the forum for the people knowledgeable of chinese ma history can provide feedback.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 11:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused. How is it after only one class can you assert:
    what I do know is that these same moves made it possible for dad to come home to the kids more than once
    Also, you (and your daughter as well?) sparred on your first class, for 30 mins?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast