228894 Bullies, 4651 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    "Respectable" according to YOU.
    Remember in ninjaspeak, "respectable" is a ruse designed to foil the enemy. It's all fire element.

The effective meaning is that the person is really an utter enigma and possibly even a terrorist on at least some level: mental, physical, or social.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:12pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Remember in ninjaspeak, "respectable" is a ruse designed to foil the enemy. It's all fire element.

The effective meaning is that the person is really an utter enigma and possibly even a terrorist on at least some level: mental, physical, or social.
    Great. It's 9/10 and you're likening me to a Terrorist. Thanks a bunch, dude.

And, "Fire Element?"

You need to update your ninja reading list. SKH is soooooo 1980's.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great. It's 9/10 and you're likening me to a Terrorist. Thanks a bunch, dude.

And, "Fire Element?"

You need to update your ninja reading list. SKH is soooooo 1980's.
    I am talking wu xing fire element, obviously. Not your piece of **** ninjutsu Japanese fire element. Joke lost in translation oh dear....

Yep, NSA analysts are now sifting through your last decade of internet posts.. enjoy. There is probably a special spot on their Wall of Shame for "Ninja Enthusiast"

Seriously, it's all about fire element. Sun Tzu said so.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I am talking wu xing fire element, obviously. Not your piece of **** ninjutsu Japanese fire element. Joke lost in translation oh dear....

Yep, NSA analysts are now sifting through your last decade of internet posts.. enjoy. There is probably a special spot on their Wall of Shame for "Ninja Enthusiast"

Seriously, it's all about fire element. Sun Tzu said so.
    ROTFL.

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 1:56am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Oh look, there's a ninja apologist on today's menu.
    Ashkelon

The problem with defending a style, no matter how self-deprecating you are, is that you are defending every single person that subscribes to/trains in it. For instance, I had my sankyu grading yesterday. Although I know personally the high level it was run at when people on this site hear that I had a blue belt grading in japanese jujitsu, they think of this:

But I'm not on here to justify my style, I'm here to learn from people who have far more experience and knowledge than I do and hopefully to get the chance to roll with a few of them and challenge a few of the ideas I hold about my own capabilities.

Question is, what is your reason for being here? What do you hope to achieve with a 'my style has it's drawbacks but you need to respect my opinion' style post?

And p.s. Google apologist before you post again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 2:03am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassai View Post
    It sounds like you're in the UK , who's your 15th dan ?
    I'm not, don't train with any 15th dan in particular.

What? Booj doesn't have kata?

"Ur dooing it rong!!!"

No, the fact that some Booj ryuha are really intended for use while wearing armor against an armored opponent doesn't explain possible problems with applying the techniques.
    i mean long solo kata's as in TKD.also I don't believe the "if it works on armour it works without part", just seems too slow and the combinations aren't natural.

It's really more the fact that Booj practices a seemingly endless curriculum of compliant kata that stifles effectiveness. In other words, it's our crappy training methodology that is holding us back.
    that's what I meant at the start of this thread. There is some "resistance" in the techniques by uke, mainly muscle tension or adapting position, an occasional slap but it's all too passive.
    at the same time a lot of teachers emphasize improvisation more than the combination katas, but the entire scheme seems too far off. we've also been experimenting with more modern punches etc but then it all seems to break down a bit.
    Also, what happened to Koto Ryu in Europe? Most training here derives from Gyokko Ryu/Koto Ryu, although some slicksters have started trying to pass off crappling as coming from Takagi Yoshin Ryu. Now, the weapons work primarily comes from Kukishin Ryu.
    there's not that much koto in the main program when you look at it, more at seminars etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 2:16am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Ashkelon

The problem with defending a style, no matter how self-deprecating you are, is that you are defending every single person that subscribes to/trains in it. For instance, I had my sankyu grading yesterday. Although I know personally the high level it was run at when people on this site hear that I had a blue belt grading in japanese jujitsu, they think of this:

But I'm not on here to justify my style, I'm here to learn from people who have far more experience and knowledge than I do and hopefully to get the chance to roll with a few of them and challenge a few of the ideas I hold about my own capabilities.

Question is, what is your reason for being here? What do you hope to achieve with a 'my style has it's drawbacks but you need to respect my opinion' style post?

And p.s. Google apologist before you post again.
    starting to wonder myself :) actually three things:
    - curious why it gets such a bad rep here - I mean it's pretty impressive
    - it's gonna come up anyway so better get it out of the way - ok fail
    - to see if people on here think some aspects can be recuperated - clearly not

I see your point.
    english may not be my first language, but I know what apologist means.
    but yeah I'm here to learn and am learning.

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 2:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    - curious why it gets such a bad rep here - I mean it's pretty impressive
    Because it totally fails at preparing you for any kind of violent encounter.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 7:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Judo sucks hind tit anyway in the US and I suspect Uk anyway in terms of getting already motivated,coordinated, athletic students. Might as well go for motivated although even less than normal coordinated, less than athletic students. Keep scraping the bottom of the barrel and we are bound to find something, eventually.

If only we could get more of the aikibabe type..
    For adults at least it looks like the same around here too. I recently (read: last week) started in an adult basics judo class. There are three not very fit women, one fat guy, me and a scrawny 16-year-old kid there. Behind the wall trains a Bujinkan basics class. They have at least 20 guys there, most men in their 20s. What the **** :(.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    For adults at least it looks like the same around here too. I recently (read: last week) started in an adult basics judo class. There are three not very fit women, one fat guy, me and a scrawny 16-year-old kid there. Behind the wall trains a Bujinkan basics class. They have at least 20 guys there, most men in their 20s. What the **** :(.
    But those 20 guys in the Booj class in their 20's are probably all Otaku.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast