Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 1:16am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who lived in Japan and has a 10th dan. If you want functional alive training. don't reinvent the wheel. I wasted 5 years trying to do that. Go with a proven martial art system or systems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 3:02am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    Thing is, and I'm being nice now that the RWC isn't going off all around me, After spending years in the Buj, you still don't know **** about grappling compared to a 5th kyu judoka. The people here are warning you and giving you advice.

Maybe instead of becoming more entrenched, just try some other people's advice. Try a judo class and do your wacky ninja throws in randori. Same thing I said before, you're still here to talk and not listen.

No one's taking this seriously. It's basically the same conversation that this forum gets monthly. So people have stopped mincing words and are giving what their years of experience have dictated are the solutions.
    oh don't think I'm not listening, I just also answer to other things said. i understand this is discussed to death.
    sambo looks the ****, though no place for training here I think and the outfit, well it would go well with savate's :/
    and actually the main reason I haven't stopped booj (though reduced my training from 3 times to once a week) is that: I enjoy it, have friends there, it relaxes me after a stressy week of work.
    now I won't get any ultimate fighting points here for that, but screw it. many people do MA just for that and I think it's fine.
    as I said before, I'd just like to see if it's possible to integrate some elements in my other training, as I have a basis in BJK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 4:34am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and yes, I'll try some. I know a couple of guys who do judo, will be fun.
    also been learning some takedowns and ground work. cool stuff. problem is we have a bit of a crappy infrastructure at the gym so not a lot of room for grappling etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 5:37am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you're in the UK , who's your 15th dan ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 7:29am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    oh don't think I'm not listening, I just also answer to other things said. i understand this is discussed to death.
    sambo looks the ****, though no place for training here I think and the outfit, well it would go well with savate's :/
    and actually the main reason I haven't stopped booj (though reduced my training from 3 times to once a week) is that: I enjoy it, have friends there, it relaxes me after a stressy week of work.
    now I won't get any ultimate fighting points here for that, but screw it. many people do MA just for that and I think it's fine.
    as I said before, I'd just like to see if it's possible to integrate some elements in my other training, as I have a basis in BJK.
    Theres no problem training in BUJ if you are enjoying it as long as you acknowledge its faults and have realistic expectations of what it will allow you to do. Any art or physical activity that involves a level of physical contact with other people will help make you more cordinated and fitter eg rugby, football etc.. but until the BUJ as an organisation includes more alive training and stops cliaming t53 d3adly then it will not receive much recognition on bullshido.

As to finding ways of intergrating BUJ techiniques if you are cross training then you are taking the best approach to find uses for your BUJ training as this is not really something where a discussion whil bear much fruit. Experience is the best approach.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    BJK.
    You're still making an initialism from a single word. Bujinkan is a single word. Stop.

If you're going to even attempt being a Booj supporter here, it's Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (BBT).

Hint: at least one respectable BBT supporter here has already given you this hidden ninja secret.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 9:09am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Hmmm... Maybe, but I doubt it. We Americans always heard wonder stories about how "badass" the European Booj were because they are more "serious." But ultimately, we all go back to the same endless series of compliant kata to train...
    I would say that reputation came from the 80's and 90's when Brian McCarthy set up the BBD and had a number of dojos across Europe. That place was completely badass but what they did was totally off the Bujinkan curriculum - a mix of street fighting techniques, MMA type sparring and loads of ninja larping with a few Buj kata thrown in. I think it was during the early 90's when they officially left the Bujinkan but kept the name (having registered it as a business - much to the annoyance of many traditional Bujers). All of the other traditional Buj I've seen has been similar to what you see on youtube, sometimes with more aggression but still 100% compliant. Still though, none of it had the taijutsu as exact as it is demonstrated in Japan. Then again, when I started off in the Buj we heard stories about how you could live like a ninja by training with SKH in some kind of ninja commune lol It sounded very cool to a spotty faced teenager, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 9:43am

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Why do people keep sending all the retards to Judo?

What do you think we are? Some kind of day care service for spastics?

Send them to BJJ, at least then the instructors are making enough money to justify the headache.
    If he wants to play with knives while dressed in black you could always send him over for some krav maga. It's almost as deadly but without the silly shoes.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 10:41am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I would say that reputation came from the 80's and 90's when Brian McCarthy set up the BBD and had a number of dojos across Europe. That place was completely badass but what they did was totally off the Bujinkan curriculum - a mix of street fighting techniques, MMA type sparring and loads of ninja larping with a few Buj kata thrown in. I think it was during the early 90's when they officially left the Bujinkan but kept the name (having registered it as a business - much to the annoyance of many traditional Bujers). All of the other traditional Buj I've seen has been similar to what you see on youtube, sometimes with more aggression but still 100% compliant. Still though, none of it had the taijutsu as exact as it is demonstrated in Japan. Then again, when I started off in the Buj we heard stories about how you could live like a ninja by training with SKH in some kind of ninja commune lol It sounded very cool to a spotty faced teenager, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
    In 1995, I was in Scotland for a study abroad program. My study group decided to use a long weekend to go to Ireland and flew out of Glasgow to Dublin. In the airport I ran into a group of Bujinkan Brian Dojo folks heading to a seminar. So I stopped to talk to them; they seemed nice enough. One of the Scottish students going with us was a "jujutsu" student (Gendai, mish-mosh association; not Judo, and not a ryuha) and she was very intimidated by the BBD folks.

"They're all nutters," she said. And then launched into a series of anecdotes about them breakfall training on concrete, rolling down stairs, full-contact sparring in the dark... I have no idea how true it was, but they certainly had a reputation.

Rep wise, I wasn't only thinking of BBD. I've trained with one of the UK shidoshi when he visited the US. I thought he was very good, and probably could put a hurt on you. (Note: like so many "badass" ninjers, he came into the art with extensive background in other arts.) And we always heard stories about (believe it or not) the French and Germans...

But I've come to believe -- as you said -- the "grass is always greener."

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 10:42am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Hint: at least one respectable BBT supporter here has already given you this hidden ninja secret.
    "Respectable" according to YOU.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast