Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 7:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    if you don't care, don't post. so tell me, is this board for all ma's except bujinkan? that's bs.
    also tell me then how I'm able to participate if one of the arts I train in is bujinkan.
    Life is unfair. I often find that doing a rage quit is beneficial. Please follow the general pattern.

1) ask for moderators to delete thread
    2) tell moderators mean posters make you mad
    3) tell moderators you will never post again
    4) post again

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Now that you've walked the path of fire, and have been kicked in the balls for daring to speak you may now become part of the borg that is Bullshido. A writhing ball of bitterness, sarcasm, elitism, and pent up sexual frustration.

My first recommendation to fitting in, is to NOT start training in anything else. Just do like most others here and get terribly out of shape, then claim that you're too busy (dicking off on Bullshido while at work, duh) to train, or that you hurt your back when you were "younger" even though you're only in your early 30's.

The next step is to then find someone who has a "noob" sticker over their posts implying they are a new member. Now this next part is crucial... Make their day a living hell, ripping on them on as personal level as possible given the information they offer up about themselves. Remember the same thing happened to you, it happened to all of us. So now you must pay this pathetic internet forum hazing forward in order to gain approval from the pack. Otherwise we will not respect you and leave you out in the cold to die or be eaten by coyotes.

Also the Bujinkan sucks, and I fully understand why your instructor and classmates would not mind "sucking at sparring" because of course they likely told themselves that they don't train to spar they train to fight/kill/DEVASTATE.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:25am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I get this, but it's just a bit much. There are plenty of other arts that have these problems, but only the booj get hit on so badly.
    You seem like a reasonable fellow, so I'll respond in a reasonable fashion ... not that your ninjer ilk deserves such treatment. ;-)

Yes, Bujinkan gets hit very hard here, but there's good reason for that - it embodies a huge reservoir of bullshido. I remember the big ninja craze in the 80's, and likewise, so does the BJK. They've never forgotten their heyday, when every MA magazine had a ninja article in it, and there was more than one magazine devoted entirely to ninjerism.

Much like a former high school football star, now turned paunchy and middle-aged, the BJK just can't seem to let go of its glory days. The practitioners love to wear their bunraku gi, and puff out their chests about the deadly efficiency of their martial art. No, they're not alone - the chunners, aikidoka, RBSD'ers, etc. also catch their share of our ire, and for much the same reasons: overly compliant drills, highly overestimated effectiveness, and a devotion to their costumery and props.

we do "alive" exercises and sometimes sparring. we suck and we know it :)
    See, I have a problem with these two statements. First, there's very little evidence that anyone in the BJK does any exercises with sufficient aliveness. Second, sparring encompasses a vast range of definitions, and if you're only doing it "sometimes" it is extremely likely that the sparring is at the very low end of the spectrum. And third, if you truly do "suck, and we know it" then you're ignoring the incentive to improve, by needlessly and dogmatically continuing to eat at the trough of that 1980's ninja craze.

The solution is easy enough - put on some kendo headgear, grab a couple shinai, and beat hell out of your training partner. THEN (mandatory step) take a hard look at what techniques came out under pressure, and more importantly what didn't occur. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:26am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh look, there's a ninja apologist on today's menu.

There are plenty of other arts that have these problems, but only the booj get hit on so badly.
    You're mistaken. We hate all those other arts just as much.

We are equal opportunity assholes. We hate you all equally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:29am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    You type stuff in the box and click the 'post' button, you seem to have already worked it out.

yes well that was a reply to 100xobm's post before he edited it, telling me to **** off.
    but anyway, no I'm not looking for attention, I'm looking to see if I can adapt my booj training or some of it to complement my other arts or whether it will just get in the way.
    and if they're others here, then I'd be very interested in their opinion. just saying "**** off ninjer" is lame.
    Last edited by ashkelon; 9/09/2011 8:32am at . Reason: edited to add quote

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no I don't think our techniques are "teh d3adly", but I also don't think they're all crap just because of some stupid 90's craze.
    I don't mind a bit of abuse, it's martial arts after all, hehe, but I think it's been exagerated because people feel it made fools out of martial artists.

anyway, back to sparring etc. I'd definitely appreciate some tips on that. when I say sometimes we spar, usually it's with MMA gloves, no full force hits to the face (this we can change if we get mouth guards) and no pulling arms off, that means stop when tapping out.
    the level is pretty low and I'm wondering how we can improve it. And I will definitely not start or stop anything because some guy on a forum says so, but I'm crosstraining already and while still very much noob, would like to figure out a way of putting it together.

also something to consider is that one of the reasons BJKtraining can be subpar is the lack of a centralized structure, this also allows you to change the training, even if it will be frowned upon.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes well that was a reply to 100xobm's post before he edited it, telling me to **** off.
    but anyway, no I'm not looking for attention, I'm looking to see if I can adapt my booj training or some of it to complement my other arts or whether it will just get in the way.
    and if they're others here, then I'd be very interested in their opinion. just saying "**** off ninjer" is lame.
    Well as someone who like you once upon a time tried to adapt the techniques of my training (Kempo in my case) to work within a realistic setting, I found through simple hard training that I was discarding entirely a bulk of what I learned and devoted many a hour to practicing. I am certain that if you truly do the same and take an honest look at your skillset and capabilities within a real live situation, you will find yourself doing much the same as I did.

What will remain if you take your training seriously won't be a different "style" or approach. You won't be thinking in terms of "he will punch at me, then I will do x-y-z." It will be a reaction, and you will be looking to set up openings to land blows whether they be fight ending or not against a thinking moving opponent. And that kind of ability only comes from cold raw experience. No amount of theory, compliant training or preaching from someone with a high rank who claims he knows better can make you attain that ability.

You can't reinvent the wheel, fighting has been around too long for you or I to do something so revolutionary that it throws everyone for a loop. What you will have is a distinctive flavor to how you choose to utilize your technique and fight. I personally have come to rely more heavily on my grappling, but my Kempo and other striking training is what helps me set up the moment where I close the gap and get into my comfort zone. On the flipside I am trying to better my striking game so I won't get outstruck and feel compelled to rely on my current bread n' butter.

Long story short, you have a long road ahead of you, and you're going to need to seek out new instruction before you can even begin to think you know what you're talking about.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    Well as someone who like you once upon a time tried to adapt the techniques of my training (Kempo in my case) to work within a realistic setting, I found through simple hard training that I was discarding entirely a bulk of what I learned and devoted many a hour to practicing. I am certain that if you truly do the same and take an honest look at your skillset and capabilities within a real live situation, you will find yourself doing much the same as I did.

What will remain if you take your training seriously won't be a different "style" or approach. You won't be thinking in terms of "he will punch at me, then I will do x-y-z." It will be a reaction, and you will be looking to set up openings to land blows whether they be fight ending or not against a thinking moving opponent. And that kind of ability only comes from cold raw experience. No amount of theory, compliant training or preaching from someone with a high rank who claims he knows better can make you attain that ability.

You can't reinvent the wheel, fighting has been around too long for you or I to do something so revolutionary that it throws everyone for a loop. What you will have is a distinctive flavor to how you choose to utilize your technique and fight. I personally have come to rely more heavily on my grappling, but my Kempo and other striking training is what helps me set up the moment where I close the gap and get into my comfort zone. On the flipside I am trying to better my striking game so I won't get outstruck and feel compelled to rely on my current bread n' butter.

Long story short, you have a long road ahead of you, and you're going to need to seek out new instruction before you can even begin to think you know what you're talking about.
    the long road part I figured out. I have other instructors, so that should be ok.
    contrary to what people on here believe, where I live most don't have great assumptions about the practicality of most techniques, a bit like aikido. now I know all the defense to lunge punch stuff goes straight out the window. I do like the stand-up grappling like one of my teachers teaches it, in reality people often grab you, why is not clear to me, happened to me quite a few times.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do Judo, and keep boxing. If you do both long enough, you will have experience and ability to both throw, ground grapple, and strike with some competence. Likely you will see some resemblence to the throwing of Judo to your taijutsu, as Judo is Japanese ju jutsu based.

Boxing striking is demonstrated to be very effective. You can blend it with Judo as well either when in grappling range or the striking as an entry for throwing.

Plus, both involve heavy physical contact and pain, which is something you have to get used to if you really want to be effective at "fighting".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Do Judo, and keep boxing. If you do both long enough, you will have experience and ability to both throw, ground grapple, and strike with some competence. Likely you will see some resemblence to the throwing of Judo to your taijutsu, as Judo is Japanese ju jutsu based.

Boxing striking is demonstrated to be very effective. You can blend it with Judo as well either when in grappling range or the striking as an entry for throwing.

Plus, both involve heavy physical contact and pain, which is something you have to get used to if you really want to be effective at "fighting".
    I did Judo when I was a kid, was preparing for the blue belt when I quit, 14 and demotivated. It does seem very complementary, some say BJK throws are just bastardized judo throws.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast