Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 4:21am

Style: GJJ, MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Few questions

So the scenario is I was training BJJ a few years back at Jon Burke's gym in Ocoee. Ended up having a busy schedule that forced me to quit while I was still a newbie, but I am hoping to get back into training again next week.

I am 6'2", with quite a lot of reach in both my arms and legs. When getting side control on your opponent (correct me if I am wrong), it is good to keep your knees in on their side to help prevent them from rotating, and to keep your body pressed on theirs to prevent other movement. My problem was when I took side control position, I could place my knees at their side, but then not be able to accomplish putting my body weight on top of them, or vice-versa---I am guessing that is probably due to how long my body is? Anybody that had the same problem, any advice / exercises / etc. on a way to fix it? Or is there an edit to the technique for people with longer limbs? Lol, and also, sort of the same issue with sinking the hooks in from the back--I would always end up with my knees dragging the floor, or else sometimes not being able to even lift / keep my feet held up when trying to sink them in. Any advice on that as well?

Just trying to get ready / have a mindset on how to accomplish things better this time around. Any advice / good leg exercises / ways to edit the technique would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 5:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BHatley View Post
    I am 6'2", with quite a lot of reach in both my arms and legs. When getting side control on your opponent (correct me if I am wrong), it is good to keep your knees in on their side to help prevent them from rotating, and to keep your body pressed on theirs to prevent other movement. My problem was when I took side control position, I could place my knees at their side, but then not be able to accomplish putting my body weight on top of them, or vice-versa---I am guessing that is probably due to how long my body is? Anybody that had the same problem, any advice / exercises / etc. on a way to fix it? Or is there an edit to the technique for people with longer limbs?
    You need to push your hips towards the floor by spreading your knees further apart. The motion is kind of similar to a butterfly stretch, and that's the kind of flexibility you need to accomplish it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BHatley View Post
    Lol, and also, sort of the same issue with sinking the hooks in from the back--I would always end up with my knees dragging the floor, or else sometimes not being able to even lift / keep my feet held up when trying to sink them in. Any advice on that as well?
    As in when your opponent is turtled up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:38am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 6'3" and the way I do it(works for me and the other giants in the school) is I always get my body down first and I actually extend one leg back with one knee in their armpit or hip. I rarely have both knees into their side. If my opponent starts to wiggle around in an attempt to escape, I switch to and from a scarf/reverse scarf hold position. I had trouble with maintaining side control for quite a while, until my instructor showed me some helpful transitions. Now, instead of some down pressure, I am told it is more like a small dump truck on their chest.

I am by far no expert, but this is what works for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 5:08pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I am 6'3" and the way I do it(works for me and the other giants in the school) is I always get my body down first and I actually extend one leg back with one knee in their armpit or hip. I rarely have both knees into their side. If my opponent starts to wiggle around in an attempt to escape, I switch to and from a scarf/reverse scarf hold position. I had trouble with maintaining side control for quite a while, until my instructor showed me some helpful transitions. Now, instead of some down pressure, I am told it is more like a small dump truck on their chest.

I am by far no expert, but this is what works for me.
    I'm 6'1". I do the exact same thing. So far so good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 5:49pm

Style: GJJ, MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much to everyone, I will definitely try those out next week.

PointyShinyBurn: Yes, when they turtle up.

Thanks again everyone.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 6:33pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually find that the type of side control I feel comfortable with is situational; depending on how high or low I am in side mount, what I’m going for, and what my opponent is doing, I might go for

• Both knees in, at hip and armpit.
    • Knee in armpit, other leg sprawled out (probably checking the hip with my hand).
    • Knee in hip, other leg sprawled out.
    • Both legs sprawled out to place maximum weight on my opponent (definitely checking the hip with my hand).

I seem to find that both-knees-in works best in a high side mount, where you are closer to your opponent’s head, probably catching the near-side arm, and far away from his hips, where he can generate a lot of power. I tend to feel too light otherwise. (That said, there are several black belts at my club whom I outweigh but who could maintain a knees-in side mount on me until roughly the heat death of the universe, if they so desired.)

I also find that, at least in transitions, you can get a lot of the effect of a knee in the hip, viz. preventing the opponent from turning in and inserting a knee to replace guard, simply by checking his hip with your own hip, by dropping that hip really low.

Caveat: I’m just a crappy blue belt, apply salt to taste.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:12pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5'8", so this might not be helpful.

Keeping on your toes allows you to be more mobile while keeping constant pressure on your opponent. It also helps if you keep your own hips at around 30-45° to the floor. The hip-check that Petter mentioned will help keep him/her from turning and pulling you into guard. You can also put your other hand under their neck/head or under their opposing shoulder to prevent them from turning to quarters in either direction.

With that said, I'm terrible at side-control and I always try to transition to something else when the opportunity presents itself.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist: