223862 Bullies, 3793 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 9:26pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about a lifting program/approach...

I haven't come across a program like this, but (at least in my head) it seems to make a lot of sense. So I wanted to run it by you guys to see if there's any merit to it.

Let's say you're doing lifts for the combined purpose of both overall strength and muscle endurance; practical combat strength kind of stuff.

Would a lifting regime like this make sense? Example:

Dumbbell BP -

Week/Period 1: 75 lbs, 5x5

Week/Period 2: 75lbs 8x3

Week/Period 3: 75lbs 12x3

Week/Period 4 (reset to 1) 80lbs 5x5

Or in other words, working that lift (could be any lift, just used DB BP as an example) for strength, then once that strength level is attained, increasing the number of reps... possibly even as high as 15, but at least 12.

Then, upping the weight and starting over.

Thoughts? Again, this could work with anything, squats, whatever.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 9:42pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did something like this when I was in the Army, it worked really well for functional strength with a good deal of endurance. It seemed to build lean muscle mass really well. I was taking creatine with it and doing a whole lot of cardio and didn't bulk up at all. In fact I lost about 15 pounds and increased my overall strength. I'll probably do something like it again after I "finish" SL 5x5.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 3:12am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe for endurance, you should drop the weight a little more and just do the exercise for a whole minute, and get a base for the amount of controlled, proper form reps you can get in a minute.

So say you are still doing DB BP. Use maybe 45lbs instead of 75lbs and start your reps with a ring timer for one minute. Try to count your ups and downs. 3 seconds down four seconds up. You should get ten reps in by near the bell. Do three or four sets of these. If it's too easy, you can either increase weight or increase time. You can add a minute and shoot for twenty, or you can start increasing weight till it becomes difficult to where you can barely finish without a spot. Either way, you will get stronger and build endurance at the same time. Do this for about three or four months, then switch to doing a more traditional 3 sets at 6-8 reps at 75% 80% 90% of your max for that exercise for about two or three months then switch back after taking a week off from lifting and just doing body weight exercises.

That's what I used to do, and my strength increased a great deal and my endurance was good. Of course after I was done playing football, I stopped lifting for reps over time and just started lifting the more traditional way to get as strong as I could, and my endurance went to **** over a few years. I could bench press over 300lbs but one set of fifty push-ups was a challenge at that point. Before, I was bench pressing around 270 but could knock out two or three sets of hundred push-ups no problem.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 4:15am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally speaking, the program seems solid. Honestly, it looks like a pretty standard periodization. Start off training for strength, achieve that, then move on. Work on endurance, achieve that, then return to strength. If I were to have any specific problems with it, it would be the abnormally high number of sets. 8 or 12 sets is a helluva lot for a given lift. And the number of sets doesn't necessarily do too much for increasing endurance.

A simpler approach for a similar goal that's a little more quanitifiable might be something like the following (start with a weight that you can do for 4-6 reps, specific exercise is irrelevant as mentioned in OP):

Week 1: 6 x 4
    Week 2: 6 x 6
    Week 3: 5 x 8
    Week 4: 5 x 10
    Week 5: 4 x 12
    Week 6: 4 x 15

Up the weight to a new weight again to a weight which can, once again, be done for 4-6 reps. Then, start over. Yeah, it's simple, but I tend to think that these days, simplicity is overlooked. We have a tendency to lean towards fancy, when simply is what works best in 99% of cases.

If you wanna get a little fancy, adjust your rest breaks. In the earlier weeks where the emphasis is strength, use longer rest breaks; 90-120 seconds. As you get nearer the end where the emphasis is endurance, shorter rest breaks; around 30 seconds.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 5:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't see the point of lifting for strength and endurance. I mean I understand BB complexes and such, but I'm saying I don't think its a good idea to think you can get both out of one exercise session. What kind of endurance are you trying to get? I assume muscular endurance, and it seems odd to mix both.

I either work on strength or work on endurance. Or else I think you would make slow progress on both.

In my experience, muscular endurance has kind of taken care of itself as I focus on strength training. For example, I train weighted pullups. I trian them heavy. I virtually never train BW pullups, and can easily jump on a bar cold and hit 20-25 reps.

Of course I do a lot of grappling and boxing but I think there is some relation.